1969 Camaro RS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Alright guys, I'm real sorry. It turns out that the guy selling this car, and my first impressions, were wrong, and that this car is a '69 camaro rs convertible. Is it possible that a plain RS would have a 350 in '69? How does this affect the vaulue of the car, as apposed to that of a 68 RS convertible? I also have the numbers from the car, and they are as follows:
124679N
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please hurry, because I don't think this car is gonna last long. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by 61parkwood (edited 05-11-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

The VIN indicates the car is an 8 cyl convertible. The last 6 digits would place the car as being built somewhere in Nov. 1968. The base V8 engine at this point should be a 327ci/210hp (2 barrel). A 350ci/255hp (the LM1 - 4 barrel) motor could be ordered as an option. The fenders would carry 350 emblems, but you need to check the engine block stamp pad behind the alternator. A partial VIN and the engine build date and application code should be stamped there. If the engine has been rebuilt and the block decked, these #'s may be gone. Is there any documentation for the car, i.e; Protectoplate, window sticker, etc? Post your findings here.

As far as value, a 350 would be more desirable. A 69 & 68 are pretty comparable in terms of value.

[This message has been edited by Ed Ernst (edited 05-11-2000).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

The engine has been rebuilt, and I don't think there are currently any #'s there. Talked to the man that is selling it, and he is the second owner. Only 77k original miles, and everything here checks out. it does have the 350 emblems on the side. All the interior needs in seat covers and door panels, and maybe a touch of paint on the dash. For this car to be show condition, it needs to be painted. That is about all the car needs. Runs strong. Is $10,000 american too much for this car?

[This message has been edited by 61parkwood (edited 05-11-2000).]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech

check the listing i gave you the other day for '69 instead of '68. i think the price of 69 will run a little more than a 68 because they seem to be more popular. (check the prices and i think you'll see this is right). also the rs adds anywhere from $1-2k to the base car (just mho). sounds like $10 grand is not a bad price if all it needs is what you state. keep in mind a good new paint job is pretty expensive, but if its not real bad, you may can live with it for a while. guess it really depends on how much YOU like the car.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 08:46 AM

The 350 option was actually rare comparatively in a 69 RS model. It is more desirable as was said. However your evaluation of the car leaves the impression that you will be spending a good couple hundred to one-thousand dollars on the interior for seat covers and dashpad. A paint job(good one)can run $2000-$5000 depending. Be sure to check the body for waves, rust, and bondo. Also look or things such as the trunk for rust, if the RS headlight assemblies are functional(they are very expensive to fix, trust me)and if it has been converted to front discs because that is the best option and anywhere from $800 to $1200 to do. All this adds on top of tat ten grand for you so try to talk him down if you can. I bought my 69 RS for $7000 with a 350 with a great body and paint job but the interior was trashed. Just research costs to fix it up first then settle the price for it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Ed, correct me if I am wrong but the base v8 in a RS would have been a 307. I know of one that is in CT that is all original, 307 ci. RS, A/C, tilt and deluxe interior. built in jan.

------------------
69 RS/SS 427 4.11's
2000 Z28 Navy Metallic LS1 6 Spd T-Tops
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 01:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
If the car isn't Rusty or full of Bondo it's a very fair price. 10,000.00 for a 69 RS convert. ? with 77000 miles ? Good car. This is assuming the RS stuff is all there, etc. 350 is the best you could do without ordering a SS.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 03:35 PM
kel
Senior Tech

I agree with those who think $10K is a good price.

Again, it all hinges on your description. As you describe it, I would buy it.

My 2 cents!

Kel
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

327 was replaced by the 307 in mid-model year, sometime in Feb or Mar, as I recall---anyone remember exactly?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 01, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
John

If you like the car. Buy it! It's only money!

------------------
69 Z/28
69 Z11
www.camarogenerations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode