Cost of spring change on 68 camaro???.. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 01, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Have an appointment for wednesday to have my front springs changed...(Moog stock replacements)...The charge quoted to me was $269 parts and labor...Is this a good price...They also tell me it will take approx 2 hrs...Is this correct and is this a good price..Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
I just looked up the cost of springs in a Ground Up catalog. They run from 59.99 to 64.95 a pair so it looks like you are shelling out a bit for labor. They aren't to bad to replace and it should be fairly easy to install them in 2 hours. They can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing but it is pretty easy and straight forward to replace them. Are you haveing the ball joints replaced as well??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 10:34 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs down

For that kinda money you could turn it into a project like I did. Replaced my springs, frt brake shoes/springs, brake lines, ball joints, a-arm bushings, and upgraded the sway bar. Plus stripped down alot of rust and grime and repainted most of the front frame. All in the span of a few weekends while the car was in my inlaws garage. The two hours is going to depend alot on how much rust you have and assuming they don't break any of those 33 year old parts.

------------------
'68 Camaro Coupe
350, PG trans

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 02:25 PM
Tech Team

I agree with the others. I replaced my front springs on my 69. I never worked on cars before in my life, however I did alot of motorcycle stuff 25 years ago, and I have a fair amount of tools. Go buy yourself a Chevrolet chassis manual for your car and follow the instructions. I replaced both of mine on a Saturday by my self. The manual and a little common sense will save you some $$$$, and you learn that these old cars are fairly easy to work on. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 03:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
If you aren't Handy with tools just let them do it. If you aren't very careful you can really get hurt. The price is fair. Do you have a floor jack and jack stands ? A Pickle fork if you are gonna split the ball joint ? A spring compressor ? Don't mean to scare you but it can be dangerous if you aren't very careful.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 03:16 PM
Tech Team

Talking

Clill brings a good point. If you don't have a spring compressor or stands just pay to have it done. I am. I got Hotchkis springs and I'm paying someone I know and trust that has a shop. Your price you are paying is right in there....seems reasonable....I am fairly new to hardcore car repair and anything to do with the tranny, bodywork, or suspension I don't do. I'm like an infant playing with playdoh when in comes to bodywork. Make sure you trust the person working on your car, I have a couple horror stories that you wouldn't want to happen to you.....

leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust,3.73 posi, TH350
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 01, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have done one in the past...But then I had access to a pickle fork and air tools at my buddies shop..At home I have jack, jackstands and a poor assortment of tools...Not to mention the 90* days we have been having..For $200 i get to sit in an airconditioned waiting room...With an occasional excersion to check on progress..Believe me I thought about it...And I also thought about the pain it was to change the springs on my buddies Monte...We had a hassel with every bolt and nut...If he grts lucky and runs into no complications he made some easy money...But if he runs into one problem better him than me I guess..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode