Real SS? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 00, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Check out the SS on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=312357458
Looks pretty nice, but i thought SS cars had 14x7 rally wheels. These look like 6 in if you look closely. Also, no tach or gauges.......
what do you think?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 00, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech

well, it finally sold, seen this one more than 1 time before. i've just never been too wild about frost green (ex girlfriend had one with a 6 - maybe that turned me off). see this one either had a stripe delete or they left off the hockey sticks when they repainted.
here's some info on the ss option:
1969 Production
Z27, Camaro Super Sport (SS); includes 300-hp Turbo Fire 350cid engine with bright accents, power front disc brakes, floor mounted special 3-speed manual transmission, special hood, suspension and ornamentation, sport striping, hood insulation, F70x14 white letter tires, 14x7-inch wheels, black painted body sill, simulated rear fender louvers, SS emblems on fenders, grille and rear panel. (Camaro SS package price increased twice during 1969, once to $311.75, again to $327.55. The second increase included dual exhausts with bright tips) $295.95, 34,932 built.
L34 Engine; 350-hp Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 (requires Camaro SS) $184.35, 2,018 built.
L35 Engine; 325-hp Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 (requires Camaro SS) $63.20, 6,752 built.
L48 Engine; 300-hp Turbo-Fire 350-cid V-8 (included with Camaro SS) 22,339 built.
L65 Engine; 250-hp Turbo-Fire 350-cid V-8 $21.10, 26,898 built.
L78 Engine; 375-hp Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 (requires Camaro SS) $316.00, 4,889 built.
L89 Engine; 375-hp Turbo-Jet 396-cid V-8 with aluminum cylinder heads (requires Camaro SS) $710.95, 311 built.
Tach and guages were optional as were the spoilers. don't think you could get a rear spoiler without the front one as this car is shown.
i think most SS's had the 5 spoke factory mags as opposed to the ralley wheels, not sure if you ordered the rally wheels if you got the 15" z/28's or if they came in 14".
if that one brought $18,712, makes me wonder what i could get for mine. It sure was clean though.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 00, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

you could probably get a pretty penny. does yours have the gauges and tach?
it just seems odd that a 396 car would come without them........

mike http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...3/Camaro4.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 00, 11:23 AM
kel
Senior Tech

Cool

mhelman,

I have a '68 SS-396 with the POP and mine did not come with gauges either. In fact, mine had very few options. It looks like the guy spent all his $$ on the engine and the upgrade. So it may be unusual but not unheard of.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 00, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Mike....if you had an SS car and opted for the Rally's...you got 14x7 wheels. My car still has her originals.....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 00, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

Actually, there were alot of SS's manufactured without gauges and tach. If you look back at some of the road tests on the SS's during the 67-69 time period, many were without gauges. The writer would almost always mention that he thought that it was kind of strange not having gauges on a high performance car especially the 396's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 00, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech

mhelman, to answer your ? my car does have factory tach and guages. (fuel not working right now). i think the rallys i have are aftermarket (15x7 with flat caps). i have a feeling my car came with the 5 spoke wheels. it had a black vinyl top, so the hockey ticks were also black, but the hugger orange was the factory color. be great to go back in time and order a few just like i want em.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

That car seems to come up for sale over and over again. The poor guy must have some deadbeat bidders. It always seems to bid to $18,000 for some reason. I wouldn't pay that much for it even though it's documented. As far as value goes it's the worst color combination and doesn't have very many options aside from AC. That green is starting to grow on me though.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, SS wheels, console mounted 8 track player
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

The base wheels for a SS were dogdish hubcaps. Rallys were an option.
N66 was the wheel that is referred to as the SS wheel, mainly due to its use on 70+ Chevelles. Only 314 Camaros got that wheel in 69, so it is not common, thought people add it.
All SS wheels were 14x7.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 00, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

correct, but wouldn't you agree that the camaro in question looks like it has 6 inch wheels?

(that color is growing on me too....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode