Z/28 Question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 00, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just got my 69 z running today alot of fine tuning tomarrow, bought it a year ago and just getting the flow to get it going for summer.

Anyway, I have had this crossram for like 8 years now. Its a single carb type and I decided to throw it on, just cause it looks cool and nostalgic.

I am having trouble with setting the timing, were there different points type distributor thickness's. Cause I cant get it to advance enough. And if i jump a wire on the cap, I cant get it retarded enough before it binds up the other way. it only moves a little amount and then it hits the intake. HeLp PlEaSe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

You could pull the distributor and jump it the next tooth over on the drive gear.PIA,but I think it should work.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Crossram, with a single carb?

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
Tim's Homepage
AOL-IM = sixtsevnss

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Yes, a crossram with a single carb, but it's not a GM part.

Edelbrock made a crossram manifold in the 70s and early 80s. I think they quit making them. Anyway, you could get one of two different tops, one for 2x4s and another for a single 4 barrel. I have seen these intakes at swap meets before. They do look really cool, but I always wondered how well they would perform.

Cornholio, the distributor body doesn't have to be installed in any particular position, as long as the rotor is properly indexed.

I suspect you will have a problem with poor fuel distribution once you get your engine running. As I mentioned above, I've seen these intakes before (with the top removed) and they were clearly designed for two carbs.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 05-15-2000).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 00, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Tthis is off the subject, but offenhauser made a crossram that also had the changable tops, from single to dual carbs.
i agree with gheatly. check to make sure your rotor is indexed right.
one more thing. once the car is running, make sure you don't have any vaccum leaks between the lid and the base. i've heard they can leak. make sure you check that the bolts are tight, that hold the lid down, every once and a while. or you could even add lock-tite to them. just thought i'd add that.
good luck,
bruce
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Whew, finally. I tried four different distributors points, mechanical advance dual point, MSD, and some other my freind had. I had to take the grinder to the MSD, and make it work. But its done, Thanks all for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode