Convertible power top problem :confused: - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When I go to put my top down it stop's about half way as it is retracting.I wait a few min's., and I can put the top down a little more before it stop's again.Is there a circuit breaker that can be tripping or do you think the motor is going up.The motor dosen't get hot while this is occurring.Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 13th, 00, 06:05 PM
Tech Team

Yes there is a circuit breaker on my 68 it is on the firewall. It is possible that your motor is drawing more amps than the breaker can handle,or the circuit breaker is just weak? good luck Garry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank's Garry, I'll check for that this weekend.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 04:06 AM

I AM LOOKING TO WIRE MINE UP---CHECK IN ON "TOP UP". YOU MAY BE LOW ON FLUID CAUSING THE TOP NOT TO WORK ALL THE WAY----BEEN THERE BEFORE. BRUCE

------------------
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, what finally happened with your top? Mine had the same problem, but I was able to jumper across the circuit breaker and make it work. It has air bubbles in the line, but should I bleed it by bypassing the circuit breaker? I think I need to pull the switch to circuit breaker wire and make sure it's good (no short) and check the ground at the motor, but what next? How do I check how many amps the motor's pulling and the amperage that the circuit breaker's tripping at? My VOM can't handle 30A, is there a workaround? If the motor's pulling more than 30A, is it going bad, or could it just be pushing too hard against the air in the system or old lift cylinders? Somebody smart help me out! Steve Laabs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 02:53 PM
David Pozzi

I got an old ammeter from a car and installed it in a plastic box from radio shack, put two plug in terminal posts on it and wired it up.

I think a Sears tune up tach dwell has an ammeter in it that might handle 30A. Take a look there.

I've seen these circut breakers burn the points inside causing more heat which trips them sooner. It's just a bi metallic spring inside. Like a turn signal flasher.
You can carefully pry off the cover and look inside. Disconnected of course.

There is probably a way to calculate it by measuring the voltage drop. But I don't know it.

David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

AHH, nothing like bleeding the power top. I never had a problem with the circuit breaker, but when there was air in the lines, it wouldn't make it all the way up. Don't run the pump when it starts sucking air or you'll burn it out. You need to crack open the lines at the bottom of the cylinders as you try to put the top up. When it stops making progress going up, close the lines and pull the fill plug out of the pump and let it down slowly to let air back out through the pump. It's messy and takes a lot of up and down, but it's worth it when it works right!

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode