Car still leaning????Need help... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 01, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok..Had the front springs,upper and lower ball joints,and rear shocks(The shocks on the rear on the car were incorrect.. to short)Replaced($580) and the car still leans approx 1/2"...I also notice that when the rear end is at full hang..(when I put the car on stands and let the rear suspension hang free)..The drivers side hangs approx 1/2 inch higher than the passengers side...In other words when measured from the upper wheel well molding to the center of the axel on the drivers side im at 18 2/3" and when measured from the passengers side im at 19"...Same amount as my lean(Is this normal on all camaros)...I have checked to make sure there is nothing binding..I am at my witts end...I measure from the frame rails down to the flat garage floor while the cars on jack stands and I get matching measurements all the way around...I put it on the ground and I get the lean....Realy confussed.. sorry about the long rambling..Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 01, 05:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I had the same problem as your describing. I bent the rear leaf spring on mine. I wrapped the spring eye so bad it hung about 1 1/2" different. Sounds like you've covered everything except the problem, though the car may have needed what you did anyway I'm sure. Money not wasted in my opinion. Sounds like you need a new set of rear leaf springs now.

If and when you do order some, make sure you get the bolt & clip set for the front spring eye perch. Very high chance you'll need them. If the clips don't snap off on you, check them for cracks, they'll probably have a few.

After removing my springs from the car, one side was 1" longer and 1/2" lower.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 01, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech

I wonder if your rear springs have been preloaded? If the springs were installed and fully tightened while the car was on stands, then they won't sit right with the weight of the car on them. You have to put the car on the ground before you finish torquing them down. You might try loosening the springs, putting the car on the ground, then torquing them to spec. Sorry, don't know what the spec is though. Do a search or look for it in the assembly manual. Good luck, that sounds frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode