69 Heater Core? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just noticed some water leaking from below my heater hoses on the seam of my heater box cover.I would guess my core is leaking.I've seen some posts on how to change the core on a 67 model.Is the 69 the same? Any tips and info would be appreciated!! Thanks Cary

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

As far as I know its the same on the firstgens without A/C, with A/C is a whole different boat.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

I changed my 69's this past winter. You MUST take the left front fender off to do it correctly. There have been many posts on this subject. Use the search capability in this topic area and Engines & Drivetrains.

Best tip from someone here was to put masking tape on the edges of the door and fender where they meet. Great tip! I finished with no scrathes.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

I removed my heater core recently to install my Vintage air. Silver is right on in that you must remove the right fender to do this job correctly. While you have the fender off you might want to check for a partial VIN number that will be present right below the fan motor on the firewall side. Alot of people use this as a check against the other VIN locations to confirm numbers matching if you are interested in this type of thing.

Before attempting to remove the heater core be sure you blow out all of the water with compressed air after you deatch the heater hoses because if you don't you'll get
water inside the car. This will also be a good time to replace the firewall insulating pad that you will find inside the car because if your heater core has been leaking this pad will probably be wet and musky.

IMPORTANT!!!! Test the operation of the new fan motor BEFORE you put the fender back on. You don't want to find out AFTER you put everything back together that you have a defective fan motor. This is also a good time to replace the chrome inner fender moldings with new ones if needed. I would also suggest using stainless steel bolts to put everything back together with. When you take the fender off make sure you keep the body shims together with each of the bolts that you take off. If you don't, it will take you FOREVER to line the fender back up properly.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the info guys.I've looked at my car closer and I don't see a reason to remove the fender to replace the core. I've read the other posts and they confirm my theory.I have a 69 Z-28 and from what I've read the small block cars with no A/C are easier to replace than A/C cars and big blocks's.Thanks Again,I guess I should have known? Cary

------------------
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 01:31 AM
Tech Team

suggest you take a look at it again... there are nuts all around the blower motor .... and thats not the really hard part the metal cover you see when youre looking at the firewall has to be out of the way... also I had to loosen the whole heater box inside the car about 1 inch rearward to correctly get the heater core in and positioned..... most of the stuff I've read said remove the fender well for access... the front fender bolts are a real pain... the rear ones are easy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 00, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech
John

You don't have to remove the fender! The core comes out from inside the car. Remove the nuts (6 I think) attached to studs comming through the firewall. You do not need to remove the bolts. They attach the heater box on the engine side of the fire wall. With the nuts removed, you can pull the heater box inside the car away from the firewall. Remove the attached cable controls then you can remove the heaterbox and heater core assembly out of the car. You'll then need to remove the two brackets that hold the core inside the heater box. You may want to remove your inner glove box to gain access. Mine was already out when I did mine... Take your time, its not that tough.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 00, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

X77:Thanks for the info!! I have an x33 Z-28 and I could'nt see a reason to pull the fender unless I had to replace the blower motor,then I would.I guess When I asked the heater core question I should have listed the type of 69 car I was working on(69 small block,no A/C).I'm going to take things apart tonight and things will be alot easier thanks to all the great advise from this sight!! Thanks to all that responded! Cary

------------------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 02:31 AM
Senior Tech

x77d80, that sounds exactly like what I posted on my site... hmmmmmmm, but mines a 67, and when replacing the heater core only, sure I dont think you need to remove the fender, but if I were to replace my blower motor , I would. even though its a smallblock, the blower motor nuts are way way back in the firewall and with the fender off you could get to them whereas if it was on you could. but would require major arm arcrobatics.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 05-23-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode