making '69 ss hood louvers functional... - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 00, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

has anyone done this?
i thought about trying to make them functional, just remove the backing plates and let the air go through the screen mesh.
i figured this really wouldn't "scoop" much air into the carb so there wouldn't be any "ram effect". i also wasn't sure
about if i got into a rain shower how it would work. if you've tried it or have any additional info on
how to do it LMK.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey Mike, I did this on my first Camaro, years ago. First, there's no holes in the hood, you got to cut 'em! My car always ran hot, and after I cut out the louvers it didn't run so hot, I guess that means the air's gonna go OUT them holes! When it rains, the motor gets wet, didn't bother mine. You don't drive it in the rain, do you? (Yea, I'd do it again. I just got this problem with fake, ya no? If we got louvers, we should have holes!) Jim

[This message has been edited by JimM (edited 02-02-2000).]

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 00, 10:21 AM

I thought about it a while ago and was going to try it to a junk hood. The louvers have a rain gutter below them under the hood that it the width of the louver. Cutting out the louver without cutting the rain gutter just makes more rain going into the gutter and no more air than usual going to the engine. If you cut the rain gutter too then you have rain. I guess if you didn't drive your car in the rain or didn't care if the motor got wet when you washed your car or dirt and dust got on your engine through the holes then it wouldn't matter. It would probably take some effort to make it look decent under the hood once you cut out some of the rain gutter. Don't know if the rain gutter adds structural strength or not and its probably the reason the SS hood is the heaviest of 67-9 hoods. Next potential buyer may not like what you did to the hood either, although it may not break the deal. You may never sell the car. All things to consider but I wouldn't think it would be really functionable. But like I said I have thought about it before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode