steering box interchangeability? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

can i use the power steering box off of what we believe is a 78 Camaro on our plain jane 67 or our 69 Z/28? Thanks for any and all information

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 17th, 00, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

The March 2000 Car Craft has a lot of good info. Also, you might call AGR or Lee Power Steering. Summary: Three types of boxes are 605,800,& 808. All are bolt-ins, but manual boxes & 605's have 1 1/8" pitman shafts while 800's & 808's have 1 1/4" shafts. The two types are still interchangeable as long as you swap to the right Pitman arm. The internal stops on the box may allow too much or too little travel on a swapped box (so you may rub or widen your turning circle.
For 67 Camaro, they recommend boxes from 84-87 Monte Carlo SS, Buick Grand Nat'l,442 Hurst/Olds(ID code YA), then 92-94 Caprice Police/94 Impala SS (ID code FB), then 95-96 Caprice Police/Impala SS(ID code MX); For 68-69 Camaros, they recommend code HX, 84-92 F-car w/ perf susp/16" wheels. Codes are stamped on sidecover and end cap, but often rub off. Lee Power Steering seemed really helpful and knowledgeable, and they sell rebuild parts as well as finished boxes. Lee 818-768-0371, AGR 972-641-2090.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 18th, 00, 12:03 PM
David Pozzi

I've got photos here, of PS boxes and steering arm info.

David Pozzi's web page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ge_transam.htm

Most GM boxes will work. Second gen and even third gen will work but have stops in them to limit wheel travel to less. And the later boxes have a different type hose fitting and diameter of rag joint. I'd get a box from AGR or LEE to fit your car, and you can specify what degree of stiffness you want.
------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 05-18-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode