Team Camaro Tech banner

somebody must of had this problem!

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  blk/gld 68 
#1 ·
i have read all your guys remarks about the 3rd gen box,so i put one in my car. i have HEDMAN headers brand new. number 3 cyl. tube hits the box so it is impossible to bolt the header up.
so i call HEDMAN up to check if the part number is right, and it is.
then the guy asks "does this car have a late model box in it?" i say yes it does! then he says "we don't make headers that fit with that box"
what's the deal? if i dent the headers it will void the warranty!
i don't want to really put the 68 box back in.
has anyone else run into this? help!!!
mark

#2 ·
wow i guess everybody must run other headers than HEDMANS.
nobody has had this problem.
anybody want to buy a set of headers:D

#4 ·
Might want to give folks time to see your post before writing them off... The 12 hrs is when the east coast folks are sleeping and starting their working day and even on the west most of us are just getting going...
i was just joking i didn't realize i was "writing people off".
there has been 40+ views.

#5 ·
Hmm... I was under the impression that the boxes are physically the same size, the only differences were internal. I have Hooker comp headers that were supposed to fit as well, they required a dent to clear the box too. Did you have these headers before the swap? Did you swap from original power steering to the third gen box, or did you have manual steering?

#6 ·
I have power steering with the original steering box on my '67. I put on Hedmen "Elite" ceramic coated long headers about 3 years ago. (I can't remember the stock # of the headers) I barely sqeeked in the header on the drivers side. I have maybe 1/32 to 1/16" clearance at the box. I thought I might have a heat problem, but so far no issues. The collectors hang a little lower then what I would have liked though. Not sure if the box you're using is the same size as OE on the '67-'68's or not.

#7 ·
mike, the car was power originally and i had hooker comps on the car and they fit fine!
rebuilt the motor,bought new headers,and the new box.
i thought as you do, the box size on the outside would be the same!
the guy at HEDMAN was the one who told me 3rd gen box is bigger!
i havent dug the 68 box out to compare it to the new one, but something does'nt sound right!

#13 ·
I ground down the steering box mounts so the box would seat deeper in the frame and also ground down the box some near where the headers would have contacted. I was able to get good clearance without denting my hooker headers. Not the same headers but maybe it will work for you. Also I have to pull my motor to fit them in with my BBC so I would think my clearance issues are worse than yours.

#14 ·
And whatever you do, DON'T BUY Hooker Super Comps!:(

#15 ·
Several people have reported that their rebuilt 3rd gen box had a lip on it that made it 3/8" wider than their original box.

#16 ·
I recall this ^ too. I went from manual to PS, but I sure as hell had to beat a tube to give me 1/8" minimum clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.