Oh No, Sears may be headed for the end! - Page 4 - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 19, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Re: Oh No, Sears may be headed for the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim69 View Post
The Sears Tower is in fact 9 towers in one. If you look at a cross section of the building you will see it resembles a tic-tac-toe board.

It's caused by the chimney effect created by the Skydeck elevator shafts which run from the ground floor to the 103rd floor. BTW only the Skydeck elevators are the only pedestrian elevators that travel the 103 stories. The other cars (double decker cars) go from the ground (Franklin / Wacker) street levels to the sky lobbies (33/34 and 66/67) floors where additional elevators provide access to the other floors.

If you think the rush of wind was interesting there are far more exciting things to experience as you go higher up in the building. I worked on floors 33, 47 and 66. While the following observations are true for all 3 of these floors they are more noticeable on 66. On a windy day you can sit in your chair, pick your feet and feel the gentle sway of the building. Or you can go in the bathroom and see the waves in the toilets or sinks. I worked with a woman who got nauseated on windy days because she was sensitive to motion sickness. On a windy day you can feel the elevators move side to side as the cars travel up and down. Best of all on more than one occasion a window or two has blown out of the building (the inside has positive pressure). The building has also been know to shed sheets of ice in the winter resulting in the streets around the tower to be closed as a safety precaution. A sheet of ice from another building in downtown Chicago actually hit a pedestrian and the force of the impact killed the guy.

I'll spare you the details of the Sears Tower plumbing system.
Did you end up working in Hoffman when they made the move? I pass the campus daily on the way home from work.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Crestline View Post
Man I miss the Christmas "Wishbook"... Hell the catalogs as a whole! ...being 10 years old, laying on the floor in the living room with a pen, and circling everything I wanted... Things dreams were made of at that age...
I remember the WishBook as well. Did the same thing. I think I carried it around the house everywhere I went. LOL!
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 05:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
The Willis Tower (can't get used to that name) has the Skydeck that has an RV type slide out. There, you can stand on a thick glass structure and be 1353 ft over the ground. Kinda cool. Anyway, Sears may be doomed, so buy what you can, and we all move on....argh!
I've done that and, though I don't have a problem with heights, that scared the crap out of me. I could only stay out there for about 25-30 minutes tops (kidding... it just felt that long. More like 25-30 seconds).

I was there for a company event and got to go out in it by myself. You don't feel like you're going to fall through the glass but rather than the whole thing is going to fall off the building with you in it. I was there at night so it was hard to see all the ants marching below but their tiny cars were quite clear.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 05:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
I'll spare you the details of the Sears Tower plumbing system.
Actually Satz and I are both in the pump industry. Please do tell!

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 11:37 AM
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
Looks like Sears has had issues for years.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower

In 1990, the law firm of Keck, Mahin & Cate decided to move into a development that would become 77 West Wacker Drive, rebuffing Sears's attempts to entice the firm to stay.[30] Just two years later, Sears began moving its own offices out of the building.[citation needed]
Funny that 77 West Wacker was known as the United Building (United Airlines). Now United occupies 20 Floors in the Sears Tower
satz28 likes this.

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 12:09 PM
Tech Team
Kelley

Looks like Sears is being bought by its own CEO. Wonder what his plans are? He might have had plans for quite a while
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 12:47 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
Did you end up working in Hoffman when they made the move? I pass the campus daily on the way home from work.
I was working in catalog systems at the time of the move so I was relocated to the catalog headquarters in Skokie. Kind of sucked caused I live less than a mile northwest of Springhill Mall (RT 72 & RT 31).

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 01:50 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
Actually Satz and I are both in the pump industry. Please do tell!
As you can imagine the water pressure of the Chicago water system is not powerful enough to supply water to most of the floors so there are pumping stations within the tower that provide the pressure needed to reach the upper floors.

Now the fun (or gross) part... sewerage. One would think gravity should handle moving sewerage from the upper floors to the sanitary sewer system beneath the tower. The truth is gravity works TOO good. (Physicists jump in here with numbers.) If one was to flush a "dump" on an upper floor and that dump was allowed to free fall straight to the sewer below the building by time it would reach the sewer it would be traveling at a speed that when coupled with the mass would generate a force more then capable of shattering the sewer pipe. To handle this (reduce the speed is the only thing you have control of since you can't control the mass of someone's dump) the sewer pipes in the tower drop vertically so many floors then turn and run horizontally between floors for a distance before returning to vertical and resuming their downward trip. Sorry I don't remember the ratio of floors drop to horizontal feet run.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Quote:
I was working in catalog systems at the time of the move so I was relocated to the catalog headquarters in Skokie. Kind of sucked caused I live less than a mile northwest of Springhill Mall (RT 72 & RT 31).
Yea, I get the drive issues as I’m near Rt 62 & Rt 25, and work near Depster and the Edens near Skokie/Morton Grove.

Rob

406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Quote:
As you can imagine the water pressure of the Chicago water system is not powerful enough to supply water to most of the floors so there are pumping stations within the tower that provide the pressure needed to reach the upper floors.

Now the fun (or gross) part... sewerage. One would think gravity should handle moving sewerage from the upper floors to the sanitary sewer system beneath the tower. The truth is gravity works TOO good. (Physicists jump in here with numbers.) If one was to flush a "dump" on an upper floor and that dump was allowed to free fall straight to the sewer below the building by time it would reach the sewer it would be traveling at a speed that when coupled with the mass would generate a force more then capable of shattering the sewer pipe. To handle this (reduce the speed is the only thing you have control of since you can't control the mass of someone's dump) the sewer pipes in the tower drop vertically so many floors then turn and run horizontally between floors for a distance before returning to vertical and resuming their downward trip. Sorry I don't remember the ratio of floors drop to horizontal feet run.

Yep, domestic water booster systems, and 1 large injector pit to finally collect the sewage and pump out to the city system. You should see the pump pressures needed for the fire pump systems too.

Rob

475 HP, 495# tor
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 08:45 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Sear's is just another loser to the lunatics on Wall St. When it was bought by the hedge fund they sold off all the assets and put it in debt and while we weren't looking those assets disappeared in the night and that's the end of Sear's as it was for Kmart and Toy R Us and I'm sure many others.

Capitalism won't die until we kill it.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 19, 09:52 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Quote:
Interesting that you brought this up so I'll add a little to it. What you are referring to is the conventional 2 pipe system, one waste stack and one vent stack which are connected every fifth floor starting from the highest point downward with a yoke vent. Relief vents are used on each floor. In the 1950's, the Swiss developed a new designed plumbing system called "Sovent" for tall or high rise buildings. It was intended to correct the very issues that Jim69 mentioned. Sovent was introduced in America in the 1960's but as with anything new was met with skepticism at first. It was finally accepted here around 1977 or 1978, a few years after the Sears Tower and the World Trade Center were built. Sovent uses one main vertical stack with a series of fittings called aerators and de-aerators which keeps the waste from getting anywhere near terminal velocity. Virtually all vent piping is eliminated as the main waste stack uses the center of itself as the vent. In the plumbing industry, it became the best thing since sliced bread. It saves a ton of space that conventional plumbing systems would otherwise use. It also greatly reduces labor cost and material while eliminating hundreds and hundreds of feet of pipe......heavy, cast iron pipe. It also reduces the number of penetrations in the buildings integrity. Today, it's now used here and all over the world on a daily basis. Four Sears stores here in Las Vegas and I started noticing last year the shelves slowly going empty. Still remember going to Sears with my Father for tools and to also visit the Allstate Insurance guy at his kiosk who also made house calls back then. The times they are a changing.
satz28 and Gbauer like this.

It takes a fool or an idiot to first criticize! It takes a wise and intelligent man to first ask why!

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

So, thinking about it last night, do you think the decline with in store sales and box stores staying open has to do with the ease of ordering online from competitive pricing stores such as Amazon??? Or is it that people just don't like to go shopping anymore when you can just have it delivered to your house???
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 07:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
So, thinking about it last night, do you think the decline with in store sales and box stores staying open has to do with the ease of ordering online from competitive pricing stores such as Amazon??? Or is it that people just don't like to go shopping anymore when you can just have it delivered to your house???
100% on point.

Rob

475 HP, 495# tor
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 12:53 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I have a coworker that doesn't even go grocery shopping. He and his wife order all their groceries (including fresh fruit, veggies and meat) from Amazon and have it delivered to their place. That will never happen at our house as my wife likes to pick her fruit, veggies and meat in person.
69Z28 likes this.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode