Oh No, Sears may be headed for the end! - Page 5 - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I know this is a little off topic, but I will go anyway. Our sears closed last week. I did not go in there even on a monthly basis. I would go about 6-10 times a year. I would exchange broken tools, and buy new tools, usually sets because it was cheaper than buying separately. I spoke to the former owner before the store closed. She said you could exchange broken tools at Lowes, Kmart, or Ace Hardware. I went to Lowe's today and just looked at the tool section. Not one loose mechanic type hand tool,Craftsman or Kolbolt in the store. All in kits . Just shook my head. I didn't inquire about it, I figured the writing was on the wall. We are just plain screwed if Ace doesn't step up. Sad day.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 03:31 PM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Oh No, Sears may be headed for the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but I will go anyway. Our sears closed last week. I did not go in there even on a monthly basis. I would go about 6-10 times a year. I would exchange broken tools, and buy new tools, usually sets because it was cheaper than buying separately. I spoke to the former owner before the store closed. She said you could exchange broken tools at Lowes, Kmart, or Ace Hardware. I went to Lowe's today and just looked at the tool section. Not one loose mechanic type hand tool,Craftsman or Kolbolt in the store. All in kits . Just shook my head. I didn't inquire about it, I figured the writing was on the wall. We are just plain screwed if Ace doesn't step up. Sad day.
We have an Ace close to my work, they have lots of individual Craftsman tools, a pretty full well stocked isle of them actually.

I have never tried to do an exchange there yet, since we are just dumping and upgrading Cman tools at work when they need replacing.

I do know that the Ace owner is always in the store so that may help, it's a Mom and Pop owned store and very well maintained and staffed, customer service is great,so that may help people trying to warranty tools in this area.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

That's good to hear. Hope it works as flawlessly as the Sears manager said. Hopefully. Lowes will change soon.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 06:48 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I ordered something online at sears.com yesterday and about twenty seconds later get three emails with coupons worth twice what I just spent at Sears, then one for K-Mart so I wonder if that incentive policy will end with the recent infusion of survival cash?

It's sad that they sold off the two profitable units they had, Craftsman and Kenmore last year. IMHO If they held those and became retailer with a smaller physical foot print I thought they would survive. When Howard Johnson's went under it was the largest restaurant chain in the world. In the end Marriott then Windham just wanted the real estate of the Hotels and the Restaurant real estate worth a fortune as they had all the best locations was sold off one by one. Every Sears I ever saw in a free standing situation was way larger than they now needed and they always spread out the merchandise when if they reconfigured, maybe combine Kmart on one side and Sears on the other. Or just contract down to reasonable size and sub lease the other space as food or other non competitive retailers.

Opps another coupon just arrived. I should go shopping.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 09:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I ordered something online at sears.com yesterday and about twenty seconds later get three emails with coupons worth twice what I just spent at Sears, then one for K-Mart so I wonder if that incentive policy will end with the recent infusion of survival cash?

It's sad that they sold off the two profitable units they had, Craftsman and Kenmore last year. IMHO If they held those and became retailer with a smaller physical foot print I thought they would survive. When Howard Johnson's went under it was the largest restaurant chain in the world. In the end Marriott then Windham just wanted the real estate of the Hotels and the Restaurant real estate worth a fortune as they had all the best locations was sold off one by one. Every Sears I ever saw in a free standing situation was way larger than they now needed and they always spread out the merchandise when if they reconfigured, maybe combine Kmart on one side and Sears on the other. Or just contract down to reasonable size and sub lease the other space as food or other non competitive retailers.

Brian

Gonna miss Kenmore. My wife and I bought a washer/dryer set from our local Sears and have had it for 25 years or very close to it. Cleaning under them both one day netted a single bolt laying on the floor under the washer...i'm guessing, off a gear pack, or a clutch pack. Found where it was supposed to be and haven't seen anything after that. Now...we bought the new fangled Maytag washer/dryer set, all computer acting, and all the fancy schmancy stuff and, with no agitator, and both are trashed and long gone. The Maytag crap cost almost 3 times what the Kenmore stuff cost.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28
X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes
Console w/tach and gauges.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 05:56 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Eddie Lampert has reached a deal to buy Sears at auction. It still requires a judges approval come February 1st.

I can't imagine what he intends to do with it, but as he is the buyer I would think he has some love for the brand and a plan.

Retail being what it is these days, I'm thinking he models part of it similar to Amazon. Might be ok if he has Kmart handle the clothing end and the old style Sears for the household items and add novelties like Cosco bulk packaging, outdoor activity supplies by Cabella's, and maybe an all American food court by Golden Corral.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 06:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim69 View Post
As you can imagine the water pressure of the Chicago water system is not powerful enough to supply water to most of the floors so there are pumping stations within the tower that provide the pressure needed to reach the upper floors.

Now the fun (or gross) part... sewerage. One would think gravity should handle moving sewerage from the upper floors to the sanitary sewer system beneath the tower. The truth is gravity works TOO good. (Physicists jump in here with numbers.) If one was to flush a "dump" on an upper floor and that dump was allowed to free fall straight to the sewer below the building by time it would reach the sewer it would be traveling at a speed that when coupled with the mass would generate a force more then capable of shattering the sewer pipe. To handle this (reduce the speed is the only thing you have control of since you can't control the mass of someone's dump) the sewer pipes in the tower drop vertically so many floors then turn and run horizontally between floors for a distance before returning to vertical and resuming their downward trip. Sorry I don't remember the ratio of floors drop to horizontal feet run.
I knew there would be several boosters (and fire pumps) but the horizontal wastewater runs is something I never really thought about (again: I sell pumps, not pipe). Novel way to do it! Makes complete sense to me.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
Yep, domestic water booster systems, and 1 large injector pit to finally collect the sewage and pump out to the city system. You should see the pump pressures needed for the fire pump systems too.
Don't most of the buildings in Chicago have big tanks up top so you're really just filling the tank then gravity takes care of it from there? Seems to me that would mean the flow would be significantly less and the pumps themselves would be staged.

Around my area everything is pumps but our buildings aren't nearly as tall. In DC nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument. Crystal City (across the potomac) is another matter but they're not nearly as big as Chicago's sky scrapers.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 06:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
I knew there would be several boosters (and fire pumps) but the horizontal wastewater runs is something I never really thought about (again: I sell pumps, not pipe). Novel way to do it! Makes complete sense to me.
George, I'm a Rotating Equipment Engineer in a Midwest refinery. Who do you represent?

My Build Thread

post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350sshugger View Post
George, I'm a Rotating Equipment Engineer in a Midwest refinery. Who do you represent?
I'll send a PM.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 19, 12:11 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Every Sears I ever saw in a free standing situation was way larger than they now needed and they always spread out the merchandise
This dates back to the old days when each store had its own warehouse and kept a month or more's stock at the local store. With the advent of "just in time inventory" the warehouse space was no longer needed since the stores put all the stock on the floor and reordering was done automatically every night. The freed up space was converted into sales floor. Part of the new floor plan called for wide open space to allow families to better enjoy the shopping experience. Back in the 80's this was considered state of the art.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

We lost our K-Mart where I live, the Sears is still open but I don't know for how long. We have an ACE south of us and I'm right down the road from Lowes. It saddens me to see these store's closing but when you can buy online and have everything shipped to your house I guess that's the way of the future.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 01:48 PM
T.C.

Quote:

Brian
Last time I went into a Sears and bought something, the register printed out a ream of paper with Coupons.

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 01:50 PM
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwiz View Post
Eddie Lampert has reached a deal to buy Sears at auction. It still requires a judges approval come February 1st.

I can't imagine what he intends to do with it, but as he is the buyer I would think he has some love for the brand and a plan.

Retail being what it is these days, I'm thinking he models part of it similar to Amazon. Might be ok if he has Kmart handle the clothing end and the old style Sears for the household items and add novelties like Cosco bulk packaging, outdoor activity supplies by Cabella's, and maybe an all American food court by Golden Corral.

He is only going to keep milking it out til every last drop is out of that company. He has been killing the company for years.

BMR SUSPENSION

My Camaro

Our 67-69 suspension on Two Guys Garage:

813-986-9302 Phone
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode