Union Pacific Big Boy Roll Out - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
boyd

Union Pacific Big Boy Roll Out

Thought you engine guys might enjoy this little clip. Biggest ever made and it's articulated. Restored in Cheyenne, WY. Came from CA.

satz28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Re: Union Pacific Big Boy Roll Out

Cool, I have always liked trains. I still have my 1957 Lionel I got when I was two. Is that one going to go on tour like one a few years ago?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old May 6th, 19, 07:04 PM
Apprentice
gene

What a magnificent piece of equipment, the men that designed, built and restored 4014 are truly gifted. Makes restoring a Camaro seems likes childs play.
satz28 likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by md z View Post
Makes restoring a Camaro seems likes childs play.
Yes it does. If you need parts for that thing, you make them. There is no calling Ground Up or any of the other places as there is nothing out there for them. Restoring old warbirds is the same way. You may be able to scrounge a few parts, but most times you are fabricating them from scratch. Kudos to UP and especially the crew for restoring 4014 back to operational status!
satz28 likes this.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 04:25 AM
Kevin

I have been watching this saga ever since they announced the search for a restorable x4000 class loco. It's great to see her under power! the 4014 and 844 are going to the golden spike 150 year ceremony in Ogden UT. I wish I was closer! I would volunteer at the UP steam shop in Cheyenne!

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/

I just wish the would fix the 0 in the left side front marker light It's been like that since they fired her up back in the shop.
boyd66k20 likes this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 04:27 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Thanks for posting. I Love trains, even the old Lionel type I still have and set up every year.

Amazing to think of all the engineering and parts needed to make this behemoth function so smoothly. What a time period that was.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I wish I was closer! I would volunteer at the UP steam shop in Cheyenne!
My brother, my daughter, and I have been going to Urbana, Oh. to volunteer on the restoration of a B17 for the past couple of years. I know our work is just a drop in the bucket, but it sure is nice being able to give back to a community that interests us. Can't wait to see her fly one day! https://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/live-video
boyd66k20 likes this.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I have been watching this saga ever since they announced the search for a restorable x4000 class loco. It's great to see her under power! the 4014 and 844 are going to the golden spike 150 year ceremony in Ogden UT. I wish I was closer! I would volunteer at the UP steam shop in Cheyenne!

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/

I just wish the would fix the 0 in the left side front marker light It's been like that since they fired her up back in the shop.
We are 60 miles from the Cheyenne steam shop. My hs buddy called last night to see if I was interested in going there for a tour. Said, you bet I am, so that should be great and when they were restoring the big boy they didn't have a ton of room for people to take the tour. The Big Boys were used to pull WW2 equipment and materials, as the lighter engines couldn't make Sherman Hill in Wyoming unless ganged together.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Thats cool, I'll be looking for it here. And you thought your Camaro restoration project was daunting...........

Project: 67 RS, SS, L35, M20, J52, QJ Triple Black
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 10:20 AM
Kevin

Hey, they finally fixed the left side number marker! Just in time for Ogden! Well, I guess it was fixed by Sunday and I am just catching up on the youtube vids

Kevin

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 04:55 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

thank you for this post. When I was a young boy there were still plenty of steam locomotives going through Erie, PA.
boyd66k20 likes this.

1968 Z-28 Black stripes on white, 350, M22, 12bolt. WIP since August 1979
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Look at the shape the rails are in at 1:17. This country really screwed up when they let our rail system get in the shape it is in. Fortunately the RRs are starting to make a comeback.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 07:15 AM
Kevin

New video from Echo Canyon in Utah, crazy amount of people following them on the roads next to the tracks. I wonder how many accidents happened between cars and people!

Really neat shot at 9:13 of the cars, horses and Big Boy all traveling at similar speeds

ctcz28 likes this.

Kevin

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
boyd

Here are some stats off a train forum,
This was quoted off a train site;

"Based on averages of several sources, I have come up with the numbers that the Big Boy consumed 28 tons of coal and 24,000 gallons of water running at a constant 40 MPH for about 1 hour climbing Sherman Hill. Go ahead and nitpick my numbers, but I believe that I am at least in the general ball park. It had 68" drivers, 24" bore by 32" stroke cylinders in rounded numbers, and if I understand double-acting, double-engined, simple-expansion steam correctly, there are 8 cylinder strokes per revolutions of the 68" wheels 67 cubic feet of swept cylinder volume for every 17.8 linear feet of travel.

A Big Boy locomotive along with its tender weighed about 604 tons and measured more than 132 feet (40 metres) in length. It had a maximum power capacity of more than 6,000 horsepower and could haul a 3,600-ton train unassisted up the Wasatch Mountain grade."
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

An incredible machine for sure! Going to see it in Ogden tomorrow

Project: 67 RS, SS, L35, M20, J52, QJ Triple Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode