Do we have BMW Tech knowledge in T/C - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Do we have BMW Tech knowledge in T/C

I really don't participate in any other car forums so I am coming to your guys. Maybe someone is familiar with this.

I purchased this 2004 325 Ci BMW in 2006 and it now has nearly 89,000 miles. For the most part it has been problem free but this one has me puzzled.

For a while the coolant has been seeping from the upper radiator hose connection where it clip connects to the expansion tank. There are two connections there, the smaller diameter one is the culprit. Twice in the past I replaced the upper hose and it temporarily sealed but after a while the leak returned. The second time I used a silicone o-ring lube in the hopes of success.

Yesterday I installed a new expansion tank, reusing the upper hose that is less than 1 year old, and now it is leaking worse than before. I did again use a liberal amount of the silicone o-ring lube. Or should I be using some other type of sealant? I do have some Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker in a dark red color that stays soft. I've used it on various paper type gaskets in the past.

These connections click together with the wire clip with no option of tightening. The o-ring should provide the seal, but it is not. The replacement parts I sourced from Rock Auto, they are not genuine BMW parts. Is that my problem?

Have any of you been faced with this? I'm now thinking the solution is a genuine BMW expansion tank and upper hose, but I hate to go through this again without success. Is there a preferred online vendor you recommend?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I added a photo of the union of concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6578320E-6BCA-4C64-A95B-6E307CE5AB09.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	227051  

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; May 16th, 19 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Do we have BMW Tech knowledge in T/C

Andrew, I know nothing about BMW's but in my mind silicone and sealant don't go
together. Could you possibly use a Gates PowerGrip heat shrink clamp?

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

The hose to tank connection looks like this. When pushed into position the spring clips keep them together, there is no place for a clamp. This is not my picture but one I found on line.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic04.jpg

Okay, reading these instructions and they mention no need to add any sealant. One guy mentions replacing the o-ring with a 16mm ID and 3mm thick. I may try that.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I own one also, 2004 M3 'Vert, and I find OE BMW parts work great.
BMW = Bring More Wallet Good luck

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Hey Everett. Your '04 model would be very similar to my '04 model but you have more go-fast goodies.

From where does one order genuine BMW parts at a fair price? Our closest dealer is an hour away.

I found these guys: https://www.fcpeuro.com/

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; May 16th, 19 at 09:05 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Andrew:

Bimmers are fun, but can be frustrating. Other than yours is newer than any BMW I have ever owned, I probably qualify as a (former) BMW tech. I worked on them professionally (but retired from that profession in 1988.... so no late model experience), and between my brother and I, we have owned 62 Bimmers over the years. I only have two now, and one is a parts car. My driver is a 1983 745i (Euro model) factory turbo car with over 320,000 miles on it. One of my sons still has two; a 1980 Euro 635CSi, and a 1991 850i. I would never have owned even one unless I could work on it myself. Same with the V12TT MB that Sherri drove for a while. Way too expensive to have someone else work on them. Fortunately for me, I love working on MOST German cars.

The newest one I have ever owned is a 2000 MRoadster. It was Sherri's car, but she decided she wanted a Lexus SUV instead. We have plenty of other "fun" type cars to drive, but nothing that handles as well as the first gen MRoadster. I did very little to the MRoadsters (we have had two), but did replace some plastic cooling system parts with aluminum aftermarket. I doubt an aftermarket expansion tank is available.

Sadly, BMW uses way too many plastic parts. They will distort. They get old and crack; or break. One of the few times I had a BMW break on me while out of town was a radiator neck that just suddenly snapped off two states away. Fortunatly, there was just enough of a nub to score around, and re-install the upper hose. Still kind of a scary ride home with three young children. I was rasing my kiddos as a single dad at the time.

You really should join bimmerforums. Lots of good info. One "good" thing about Bimmers, is that if one e23 (first gen of 7 series) has a malady, soonner or later almost all of them end up with the same issue. On early 2002's it was the 10 spline output shaft on the trans that would shear. On the e23 it is the HVAC system. On e28, the dreaded shimmy from too soft lower control arm bushings. I suspect on your 13 year old Bimmer (you didn't say what model it is) that most everyone else with an 06 of the same model that has comparable miles, will have experienced the same issue.

I used to use maximillian importing for parts, but they are now more expensive that most others. Pelican. Just spend some time looking. Once you get the part number, take a shot on ebay. You never know. I have scored some very hard to find Euro only parts for my turbo car.

Good luck.

Lynn
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech
John

Get me a BMW part # and I'll see what my neighbor can do. I'm stationed back in Germany now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I'm sorry, I did neglect to be specific. It is a 2004 325Ci coupe. Thanks for the help this far.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; May 16th, 19 at 09:07 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Bimmerforums is a good place.
Good parts:
https://www.bmwusa.com/
Good luck

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

The new 16mm o-ring did not seal it up so I've now ordered all new parts from FCPEuro. I warmed up the car in the driveway and when I revved it up I could see the trail of fluids leaking from the suspected connection.

FCPEuro comes highly recommended on the Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum for News, DIYs, Technical Talk and More! website. It will be early next week before they deliver so the car will have to sit until then.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode