Free Shipping - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Free Shipping

Two years ago I received some minor damages to my car hauler. A lawncare service parks their trail next to mine and hit the aluminum fender skirting around the left wheels on my hauler. The lawncare people admitted they hit it and would pay the damages. I called my trailer manufacturer, got a quote for the material and thought I would replace the fender skirting myself. I got the quote and the lawncare company paid for the parts within two week.

So I call the trailer manufacturer and ask them to send the parts. Come this year and it’s been nearly two years I ordered the parts and no parts. I got inpatient and thought I would just order the wheel well skirting and be done with it. Found what appeared to be the same skirting on the internet with the dimensions I needed. The price seemed great and the supplier had "free shipping". When I tried to install it I found the basic dimensions was correct but the ark of the wheel well was off a inch and it wouldn’t work. This little mistake cost me a little over $100.00 so I thought I would return it.

This box was 73”x23”x6” and only weighed 7 1/2 pounds. So I tapped her all up and took her to UPS. That’s where I got a big surprise that because of the size, UPS shipping would be $160.00 to return it. Needless to say, I had second thoughts about returning by using UPS.

That is when I called the trailer fender supplier and ask what their shipping cost was. They told me they sent that fender to me for $7.00 and it only took two and half days to deliver. They used a delivery company called Spee-Dee delivery and I believe they are just in the Midwest. I couldn’t believe it only cost $7.00 when the closest Spee-Dee delivery location to me is a little over 100 miles away.

So I started looking around for another shipper. The post office wouldn’t price any package that large. The FedEx charges was about the same as UPS but I found with FedEx, just making my package 5” in place 6”, I could save $100.00. That was the easiest $100.00 I have ever saved by cutting down that box.

I couldn’t believe the big difference in shipping charges between a 1 inch package difference, shipping companies and between suppliers and individuals. "Free shipping" isn’t always a good deal.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 19, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Free Shipping

I have shipped quite a lot of stuff FedEx lately and have been shocked at the cost especially if it is oversize. It seems that retail pricing is roughly 50% higher than the commercial rate. Not sure how they justify it when you drop it off at a FedEx location versus them picking it up.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I use UPS for the most part. Created an account on line that gets me a 20% or 25%
discount. Create the shipping label and pay via credit card at home. Package and drop
it off at UPS location. Fedex may offer similar. We used Speedee whenever possible at
my shop. Shipping is expensive especially if oversize.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 12:59 PM
Team Member
Jim

If I have to ship something large I put the shipping up for bids on uship.com. So far much more reasonable than FedEx and UPS and the item gets there in a day or two with no problems.

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Before there was a FedEx and UPS, my old boss would have packages shipped on a Greyhound bus. They still ship boxes in the luggage compartment at the bottom of the bus. They now have a service that will take the box and deliver it to your doorstep.

You cannot ship corpses, guns, live snakes etc.

The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82" L x 47" W x 29" H.

Patrick
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 03:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I shipped some fenders grey hound a few years back. At that point you had to get the package at the terminal. That was the only catch. Terminals were not always close to the desired destination. Glad to hear they have changed it up some.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Shipping companies like Fed-Ex and UPS over charge and rip off the little people.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Shipping companies like Fed-Ex and UPS over charge and rip off the little people.
Agreed. I've tried to sell things on Ebay but I almost always get ripped off when it comes to shipping the item to the buyer.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I've sold computer equipment on eBay. I ship through a local UPS depot and have always gotten good prices for shipping. A local "UPS Store" opened up near me so one time I went there to ship two laptops. The price was outrageous!!! They wanted $115 to ship two laptops. I had them packaged and everything. All they had to do was stick a label on it. I told them never mind. I went to the Depot and shipped them for $30. What gives???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I've sold computer equipment on eBay. I ship through a local UPS depot and have always gotten good prices for shipping. A local "UPS Store" opened up near me so one time I went there to ship two laptops. The price was outrageous!!! They wanted $115 to ship two laptops. I had them packaged and everything. All they had to do was stick a label on it. I told them never mind. I went to the Depot and shipped them for $30. What gives???
Retail pricing is a rip off....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 06:55 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Retail pricing is a rip off....

Don
Have to shop shipping. Sometimes USPS Flat rate is best. Other time Fedex or UPS.

And watch charges if you have an account.

I have a Fedex account. Recently I prepared a shipment using my account but when I hit ship it needed CC update and the system gave error messages when I tried to update my account.

So I used the one time CC ship not using my account and the cost was less than when I was logged onto my account.

Also after getting the error message a few times and going 1 time CC ship I checked my statement and saw Fedex had charged me 3 times. One time each when I got an error message instead of a confirmation!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 19, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

FedEx always seems to screw up my shipments. Don't know why. I get good results with UPS, but not cheap.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode