Team Camaro Tech banner

Where did everyone go?

11K views 91 replies 45 participants last post by  Rich69RS/SS 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I haven't been around here much since I finished my cars resto. It seems everyone has left. This place used to be really buzzing with dozens of new posts a day. If you posted a question you'd have an answer in minutes.Seems it's a ghost town now. Where did everyone go? Don't see many regulars around anymore.
Anyway here's a few pics of my 68 finished. It was a ground up resto that took me 10 years. Every nut,bolt and screw, done all by myself, paint, body, interior, suspension, alone in my 2 car garage.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work Chris. Beautiful car. I remember when you were a regular here. Like you I think
a lot of guys have finished their cars and just don't have a reason to visit the site. We've seen a
lot of people post a few questions, get their answers and disappear. Also so many questions have
been answered over the last 5 or more years I think people are searching for the answers rather than
posting which I think is good. A few years ago there were a number of builds going on where the
guys (myself included) were bouncing questions and answers off each other. I haven't seen much
at all for new builds in a long time. The build and body shop forums were a buzz at that time. I
question just how many builds are really going on anymore. There seems to be a lot of engine
ignition and suspension questions most recently. I finished my build (if they're ever finished) earlier
this year but still hang around trying to help and continue to learn.

#3 · (Edited)
I asked you some questions a few years ago in my build thread, but you never answered...
Just kidding,

but that’s what happened, everyone went to the gossip page. forums are done. although I prefer forums over facebook . I don’t do facebook didn’t do MySpace either. i just don’t get it, F-book just doesn’t work for me, it just seems like a rambling post like this...:]

#4 ·
Yeah, I don't get why people try and use a site like FB as forums, it makes zero sense. You can't search a forum archive for info, it's nearly impossible to browse so the same question must be asked over and over again. Plus it's only been around 1/3 as long as forums.

That said, it is happening.

Reactions: shoddy_F-body
#6 ·
I'm still here. There comes a point in every forums life where most of the regulars get a thorough education and just don't have as many questions as before. Plus about every conceivable question that can be asked about a first gen has already been asked and answered.

#23 ·
I'm still here. There comes a point in every forums life where most of the regulars get a thorough education and just don't have as many questions as before. Plus about every conceivable question that can be asked about a first gen has already been asked and answered.

I disagree, guys like myself who want everything as close to factory specs as humanly possible
are still seeking answers. Not too many guys pay attention to fastener head markings for example,
i want to know where EVERY nut and bolt came out of, what the finish was and the fastener marking usually associated with it

among other things,,check out my post on my air cleaner for example

#7 ·
Beautiful job Chris. I remember your build going on here.

I think like has been stated above that the number of massive build projects has dwindled. Seems like there were about 10 of us working big projects for a while, and some of us are completed or nearing completion. Others disappeared; possibly getting burned out for a bit. I also do a lot of searching before posting for an answer. There is a ton of information on here.....if you can find it.

I think the other big problem was the photosuckit disaster. That destroyed a lot of good information. If I have any gripes with this site, it is the picture sharing. To preserve information the picture sharing needs to be corrected.

#26 · (Edited)
Car looks great, someone in my area has a 67 convertible that looks just like yours, same color. The wife and I couldn't get enough of how good the car looks with that orange paint.

I think the other big problem was the photosuckit disaster. That destroyed a lot of good information. If I have any gripes with this site, it is the picture sharing. To preserve information the picture sharing needs to be corrected.
I belong to a couple of car forums as I feel they are the best places for information, social media is not for me. This site has been a tremendous help in my recent Moser axle install, suspension, exhaust, brakes,...etc. I can't thank the members here enough for all the information that has been posted over the years as this site is my go to place when a start a new project on my 69. The photo situation has really caused a huge issue though, a lot of the threads are hard to follow sometimes without clear pictures. I left a particular photo sharing site years ago as the photo sizes were small even when I was paying for the hosting yearly. I now use a different service, I do pay for it, but the photos are good sizes and clear.

#8 ·
The need to have a paid membership to post pics is slowly killing this forum imho. New members get discouraged right out of the gate when they can’t post a pic. I belong to quite a few forums and this is the only one that has this restriction on pic posting. Forum owners are killing their own forums.

Don

#9 ·
My god Chris, that car is beautiful..
Just speaking for myself, I took a step back from Camaro building to get recharged and to do some home improvements and to heal from an accident. Ready to get back to work...!

#10 ·
Chris, your car looks great. Well done!

I remember the past discussions of how to replace a quarter panel and other detailed concerns. Those rarely happen anymore, as I guess anyone needing this info now finds it with a search. Also, many members are getting older and may be losing interest. I surf the contents daily but find I post much less frequently than I used to.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Nice to see some familiar names! I'm Friends with Jim Mellema on Facebook. He was a regular, He sold his blue 68 and travels the country in a motorhome which is pretty awesome.I do wonder if a lot of the die hards of this hobby are aging out. I was in my late 20's early 30's when I discovered this site and Chevelles.com ( I have a 70 Chevelle also) I actually bought my Camaro from a member on there, Maiden70 or something like that up in Poukeepsie NY. Not sure if he's still around. Now I'm nearing 50 and don't know if I have it it me for any more restorations. I'm enjoying tinkering with my completed cars. Although I have been watching a 67 convertible Camaro that's for sale locally that would be a very big project.
Anyway here is a before pic from the Ebay ad that I bought my car from. Quite amazing to me to see it now!

and an "in progress" pic

#12 · (Edited)
Personally I get discouraged in answering post because the OP doesn’t give us the information we need. I have went to the garage and taken pictures of a part on my 67 to answer a post just to find they are working on a 69. Then you can knock yourself out finding the information and get no reply at all.

Roger

#14 ·
Personally I get discouraged in answering post because the OP doesn’t give us the information we need. I have when to the garage and taken pictures of a part on my 67 to answer a post just to find they are working on a 69. Then to you can knock yourself out finding the information and get no reply at all.

Roger
I don't go to the lengths I once did either for these same reasons. It gets rather irritating when the OP
doesn't acknowledge an answer or reply to a question (more info needed). Often I link a previous thread
that answers the question. No need to beat a dead horse reiterating the info. Also as Matt said the Photobucket
crap has hurt. And to Dons point not being able to simply drag and drop a pic is a pita especially for those
that have never had to work around that. Wait until the the ad blockers stop working and the site will virtually
die. That's already happened to me on another site. That will drive people to facebook or similar.

#37 ·
Rarely here what happened to pdq?
He hasnt been on speedtalk much either

Think most boards are saying the same thing bottom line the owners are getting old, younger either have 0 interest/priced out.

The beat goes on. still holding out hope one day I can have another 67 rs

Another trend Ive seen is 10 yrs ago you saw a lot more build, racing, GTG going on now the "correct" crowd has to crap talk every car they see if it isnt bone stock, noones out driving. That gets real real old.

#15 ·
OP, very nice build

Well I may be considered a FNG as I have only been a member about a year now. Have been a forum member on another car type site for 20 years and it is a shell of what it once was. Seems they all have a life compared to their fast & furious days. I still cruise a few car forums daily and enjoy it

Seems FB is the go to for car chat but I don't do SM

I would be lost without the help of those who do still reply/post on several things with my 67

Also disappointed on the picture post thing and photopuke has killed countless photos on this and other forums. For this and other forums with restrictive pic post policy I use https://postimages.org/login which works well but is a PIA as you first need to post the pic on that site them copy/paste a thumbnail link on this one but at least it works.

#16 ·
I think other's have covered it. Social media plus the Photobucket money grab started the downward spiral of all forums. Social media just makes it so easy to share pictures compared to forums. I'm guilty of it myself. Forums are still my number #1 source for researching just about anything, not just car related items. But I post about my Camaro and car related stuff on social media daily whereas forums are a pain. And i evven have my own website to host pics on! It just is far more time consuming to upload a pic and share it on forums.

Some forums I'm own allow you to host pics directly which helps a bit. I don't think forums will completely die but I also don't think they will be the mecca they were in the late 2000's.

Personally, I don't think it has as much to do with the age of the typical owner population. Even forums geared towards younger audiences have slowed way down.

#19 ·
So it's not just me noticing the decline. I was gone for awhile to. I blame a crappy computer for most of it. I think everyone has said it. I agree. I also notice, it seems like there isn't any young guy's coming up behind us to do what we've done. Maybe a few, but..... I had 3 parts washers at my shop, couldn't give them away. Guy's looked at me like I had 3 heads. They aren't going to clean parts that dirty, they'll just order new. LOL OK. That's what I kept hearing, that and, I can just buy one cheaper. I also think there are alot more cars out there than there were 20 years ago that are done. That's it guy's, we saved them all, now we can go home. LOL :)
Chris, NICE job on the car.
It is nice to see some old names still around. I've been here almost 20 years now. Yep, I'm getting old too.

Reactions: shoddy_F-body
#20 ·
Superb ride Chris. I am not really partial to Verts and am partial to blue but that paint POPS.
Lately I have seen some newcomers with only a few posts which is good if they will join and participate. People who use this site for the most part have gotten older, some have passed, some don't have time. These cars are expensive as you know, some younger guys may not have the $$$$ to participate, and you can buy a serious HP car for somewhat reasonable price. (I cant). I can still crawl under my cars but might need serious help getting vertical again. I try to show up every day and mostly just check "Recent Discussions" and always check Everett's Wednesday Humor. If I have something to say I will add but refrain is it has already been said adequately.

#21 ·
Superb ride Chris. I am not really partial to Verts and am partial to blue but that paint POPS.
Actually blue is my favorite color. I was going to go blue on the Camaro but decided to step outside the box for a change.My daily driver Impala is blue, Our 2013 Camaro is Blue, My 70 Chevelle is blue. Everything I own is blue! Except the convertible!

#25 ·
agree about the search feature, but there is little to no information about the factory HD 3 speed
anywhere,,,I can ask till I'm blue in the face,,only a handful have one much less know anything about it....

#27 ·
Agree your car is very nice. Good luck enjoying the results of your hard work.

I've been here about ten years now and I'm not sure if I'm slowing down or the site is slowing down. I do know that after my morning e-mail check the next click is right here to look for any new posts or check ongoing threads.

I just turned seventy (yikes!) and I'm more than done with total restorations. I do feel obligated to help anyone with a question I can answer or at least add my two cents to if I've been in that similar situation. I think that, number one; that has always been the purpose of this site. And number two; exchanging ideas and sharing experiences. (even if it's your favorite beer!)

I'm on a FB 1st Gen Camaro site and I'm seeing a lot of posters that know very little or nothing at all about these cars. It's amazing the questions that are asked and the statements made. I have directed many of them to this site or the CRG site.

I didn't post that much last winter because I was renovating my daughter's first house. Which small projects are still on going but she's in and settled for now.

I've never had any problem dragging pictures here right from my computer.

Attachments

#32 ·
I can tell you without a single doubt, everyone is on FB and IG now. It is just they way everyone went as their apps are far easier to use than forums. The downturn here started about 4-5 years ago and has been on a steady decline since. These forums are very expensive to sponsor and we may not even renew. I don't mind supporting a place like this but after some years, over $100 a month adds up, especially when we are on many forums. My FB/IG sales are quite a bit higher than the forums now. It is a shame as this was a much easier platform for someone like me to advertise in.
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.