19 Car Magazines are being Cancelled - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

19 Car Magazines are being Cancelled

It's sad these are being cancelled. It seems the internet killed them.

Cancelled:
4-Wheel & Off-Road
Automobile
Car Craft
Chevy High Performance
Classic Trucks
Diesel Power
Hot Rod Deluxe
Jp
Lowrider
Mopar Muscle
Muscle Car Review
Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
Mustang Monthly
Street Rodder
Super Chevy
Super Street
Truck Trend
Truckin’
Vette

https://www.foliomag.com/ten-publish...int-magazines/

TEN Publishing will shutter 19 of its 22 automotive magazines by the end of the year, leaving MotorTrend, Hot Rod and Four Wheeler as the only three titles that will continue to be published in print in 2020.

According to a memo sent to staffers at MotorTrend Group Friday morning and obtained by Folio:, titles going out of print include Automobile, Lowrider, Truck Trend and Vette, among several others. A full list can be found below.

“It was announced today that TEN Publishing will discontinue publishing 19 of its 22 automotive print titles by the end of the year,” wrote MotorTrend Group president and GM Alex Wellen in the memo. “I know this is difficult news, but I want to assure you that we remain committed to you and your pursuit to deliver quality automotive storytelling and journalism across all of our content platforms.”

MotorTrend Group, a joint venture formed in 2017 and majority owned by Discovery, Inc., comprises the digital and video businesses of the company formerly known as The Enthusiast Network, whereas TEN Publishing controls those brands’ print magazines. Under a licensing agreement, MotorTrend Group provides editorial and ad sales support to TEN, producing content for both MotorTrend Group’s digital platforms and TEN’s magazines.

Folio: reached out to TEN for comment but hasn’t heard back.

“Simply put, we need to be where our audience is,” Wellen continued in the memo. “Tens of millions of fans visit MotorTrend’s digital properties every month, with the vast majority of our consumption on mobile, and 3 out of every 4 of our visitors favoring digital content over print.”

“While TEN Publishing will no longer print the following magazines,” he wrote, “[MotorTrend Group] will continue to offer our audiences and advertisers digital coverage for these discontinued print titles online,” adding that subscribers to the shuttered magazines will be offered digital subscriptions to MotorTrend, Hot Rod or Four Wheeler as well as MotorTrend‘s video streaming service.

The memo didn’t explicitly warn of impending layoffs at MotorTrend Group as a result of the changes at TEN, but did notify staffers of the creation of a one-time voluntary separation program, in which some editors and salespeople will be given the option to resign in exchange for “special separation benefits.”

“We created the VSP to empower eligible employees to be a part of the decision-making process around how we evolve the business,” Wellen told staffers. “The next phase of our growth is crucial, and many of you will need to make some important decisions.”

In a statement provided to Folio:, MotorTrend Group said it is “doubling down on our best-in-class digital product experiences, while maintaining our support of the three most popular, profitable and strategic brands across digital and print—MotorTrend, Hot Rod and Four Wheeler.”

A Tweet sent Friday from Automobile‘s account seemed to confirm that the brand would live on digitally.

“While TEN Publishing will no longer print Automobile Magazine, MotorTrend Group will continue to offer our digital coverage,” it said. “On the web, it’s full steam ahead.”

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech
John

Well that stinks. I enjoy getting magazines in the mail.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:40 PM
John

Garage
Re: 19 Car Magazines are being Cancelled

When’s the last time you bought a magazine?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
John

Pretty often actually. I subscribe to Car Craft, Muscle Car Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines, and Super Chevy. Only one or 2 I subscribe online to. I occasionally bought Street Rodder and some others when I thought there was a good article or 2 in them and thought they were worth buying.

No surprises though.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

So much for spending hours drinking a coffee in Barnes & Noble reading the car mags. I should have paid for them I guess. People like me are part of the problem I'm sure.

For what it's worth, I don't mind the subscription to the web site and much prefer the video format.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

It's a sad day. I literally grew up with Chevy High Performance and still subscribe today. First issue I read was in '93 or '94 and the feature car was a green 69 Camaro with a B&M blower sticking out of the hood. They dubbed it "Green With Envy" and I've been hooked on Camaro's ever since. I remember reading about Tim Allen shoehorning a ZR1 engine into a 96 Impala SS which was super cool. I remember the first issue detailing the new for '97 Corvette and just drooling over the amazing leap in technology with the LS1 and how extremely cool it was. The release of the '99 Silverado; all the Mark Stielow builds; on and on.

It had to happen eventually with digital platforms making things easily searchable. Rifling through old issues trying to find an article that referenced the part I needed wasn't any fun. But it is sad that my son won't have the experience of the excitement of finding the latest issue in the mailbox.

My Build Thread

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

[QUOTE=anguilla1980;1783180695]So much for spending hours drinking a coffee in Barnes & Noble reading the car mags. I should have paid for them I guess. People like me are part of the problem I'm sure.

Yes, you stole all those words. I use to get Super Chevy, and Car Craft. And some that featured More girls than cars. Internet killed them first./QUOTE]

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I currently subscribe to:

Car Craft
Chevy High Performance
Muscle Car Review
Hot Rod
Super Chevy

As well as three mags that are not part of Ten's group. I have all of them going back to 1959 or their first publishing date: including a few titles that no longer exist such as Rod & Custom that was replaced by Street Rodder, but it lost my interest.

I was furious when they dropped Popular Hotdodding and gave me a subscription to High Tech mag instead (as you may have figured out from my posts I have no interest in EFI).

Because I have a two year subscription to all of them I guess I am out the cash again. I can only hope some ambulance chaser files a class action suit so I can join in. I want my pound of flesh from the front office boys. The lawyer can keep the money.

I am just now scanning mu Chevy High performance mags. I remember the issue Matt cited as I scanned it about a month back.

Big Dave
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 06:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I subscribe to 3 of those magazines listed above and have multiple years left on my subscriptions. This stinks. They've routinely offered discounts for multi-year subscriptions which I've taken advantage of for eons and clearly they've done that knowing that they would not fulfill the obligation. Sounds like the basis for a class action, but not enough $$ in it for anyone to take it on.

I don't like the digital feed on this stuff. If you try to look at the photos they feed an advertisement ever few photos and you can't skip them until they've been on your screen for some (too long) predetermined amount of time. With a paper copy I can skip reading the ads and I can clip the stories I want. I want my money refunded!

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
When’s the last time you bought a magazine?
I subscribe to them for much cheaper than buying them off the rack at B&N.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

MCR just pimped me for 2 more years WTF?

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

I’ll miss Muscle Car Review. Super Chevy was getting pretty lame.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Crap, I take Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Chevy, and Chevy High, although at any given time there is a years supply sitting on the desk because I can't get to them.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

I like reading print newspaper in the morning and car mags when I travel (planes/hotels) and subscribe to 3...2 of which appear to be done now leaving me with 2-3 years of paid WTF now

I know digital killed them but sucks for those of us who prefer to read a physical paper vs scroll through some web/app
ctcz28 and Duneit like this.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 19, 07:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
I know digital killed them but sucks for those of us who prefer to read a physical paper vs scroll through some web/app
especially since most of their web sites $uck

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode