Old tires on our cars, for some of us. - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wink Old tires on our cars, for some of us.

This is a reminder for some of us who have multiple vehicles, or way more than we need to have , but don't care. LOL
I currently have 6 registered "daily drivers". 2 registered and insured Camaros that don't get driven very much, and 3 other cars that can be driven by putting insurance on them and pulling them out of non-op status.
That's 11 cars that are drivers. And there's only 2 of us. ( I know, but mental illness is another topic). As hard as I work to maintain these vehicles and keep them in good running condition, as the years roll by, you forget when you last put tires on some of these vehicles. Because it can take 20 years to put 30K on one of them when your driving them all. And the tread always looks good. Make sense?
I had a problem with the RS camaro 6 years ago, when I got in it and discovered a bulge on the right front T/A. Good tread, tire was less than half wore.
Then I was reminded that those tires were purchased in 1997. So they were what? 17 years old! Time slips away from details like this when your living life.
So, me and an old friend who passed away 10 years ago did a frame off resto on a 73 chevy 3/4 ton back in 97. Truck was finished in 98. I helped his wife sell it to a mutual friend of ours back in 2014. He brought it by the shop last week to visit and I was shocked to see the right front fender hammered, door dented, and rear bumper smashed into the bed.
He started to tell me that the tire blew out on the freeway at 65 MPH and spun him around into the center divide. And then he says, "you know how old those tires were?"
Turns out they were the tires me and John had put on it in 97' They looked like new, rode like new, but were death traps waiting to blow. They were 23 years old.
I looked at the wifes Jeep Cherokee 4 days ago that only gets driven between Nov. and April because it has studded snow tires on it. Sits the rest of the year. When I finally put on a pair of glasses and got down close to look at them, they were cracked in the sidewall and tread portion on all 4. I had to really think about when those tires were purchased. Turns out 2005. 15 years old! REALLY?
I bought new tires for it 3 days ago. Actually 2 sets, because I'll start swapping out the studs every year and we can drive it during the summer as well.
So, now I'm doing a massive tire inventory on all of them.
Turns out, the 2 back tires on the black camaro are 23 years old, tires on the 69 suburban are 16 years old, tires on the 69 caddy are 17 years old, 2 back tires on the 55 chevy are 19 years old.
None of these vehicles are going to see the road until they get new rubber. Not just for our safety, but the publics as well.
So, this is just a reminder for the guy's that have waaaay too many rides. Check the dates on your tires. It can get away from you in a hurry.
It's just like when I see my nieces and nephews. Weren't you just like, 10 years old? And now you've got how many kids? LOL
Time is clicking fast, and these tires are sitting there rotting, but still looking good enough to put on the freeway at speed.
But they're not!
And as soon as I can figure out which car, (child) I can let go of, I'm going to lighten the load some. As soon as I'm done buying tires, I'll have the money for a therapist. LOL
Happy new Year, and check those tires!
DjD, 68Tiger, boyd66k20 and 2 others like this.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: Old tires on our cars, for some of us.

Im in the same boat but wonder if protected from the elements can in a sense improve longevity? I am afraid to count how many tires I have but the 6 for the RV set me back 3600 bucks.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

I've noticed for me, yeah, protected from the elements helps with the checking and cracking issues and may lead to a longer life. But, I've had tires protected that look really good, but start tread separation. Flat spots from sitting too long in one spot is how I think it starts. I'm no tire expert but just what I've noticed here.
Glad I don't own an RV like that. Holy Cow.
I bought my boat new in 08'. I noticed the tires side checking in 12'. They were dated 05'. Kinda pissed me off they put older tires on the trailer, but that trailer could've been built a year or 2 before the boat, and the tires sitting how long before that? I put new tires on it then in 12'.
So now, my boat trailer tires are already 8 years old and look like new still. Always out of the elements, but sitting in one spot for long periods of time. DAMMIT!! LOL

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 02:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

That makes sense about sitting in one place. How long is too long. I was stupid and took the RV on a long haul when I bought it and replaced tires after and guy said they were 2000 which is what the RV is yikes!
I just added everything up, street going only, I have 64 damn tires on the ground.

I know the jet ski tires are cracked so those will be done before the season.

1969 Z/28 X33
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Good reminder. I need two sets replaced, both older than my son,(28)

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

I also believe that the summer is more risky. When the pavement gets over 120 degrees or whatever it can reach, the risk is a lot higher for tire failure. Up here in No. Cali. there's always several boats on the side of the road in the summer.

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 06:39 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

I know the feeling on old tires, I drive a company car so my personal vehicles don’t get a lot of use. Last spring I went to use my utility trailer looked at the tires and they had cracks in them, I forgot the trailer was 18 years old. I took the tires off and went to get them changed and decided to get the oil changed on my SUV 2013 with 22k miles on it but sits outside. The tread had large cracks in them, 2 sets of tires the same day.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 07:49 PM
Tech Team
Joe

I was also thinking about this recently. I have heard similar stories about blowouts. I checked my camaro and chevelle tires. Camaro tires are 2011 and Chevelle 2009. I found this in a Nitto tire advisory...

Tire Service Life Recommendation
Despite the varying conditions under which tires are used and the absence of technical
data justifying any particular age limit, it is certainly the case that the longer a tire is in
service the more opportunity it has to accumulate service-related damage that will
require it to be replaced.
While most tires will need replacement before they are 10 years old, Nitto recommends
that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare
tires, be replaced with new tires even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they
have not reached the legal wear limit. Some vehicle manufacturers have specific
recommendations for tire replacement, which may be found in the owner’s manual for
the particular vehicle, the vehicle tire information placard, or on the vehicle
manufacturer’s website. To the extent those recommendations differ from those of
Nitto, the owner should follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for tire
replacement. Further, no tire service life recommendation should be considered to
establish a minimum period during which the tire is appropriate for service. Even a
relatively new tire can sustain damage that will require its replacement.

The whole advisory is here:
https://www.nittotire.com/media/2268...rvice-life.pdf

1967 Camaro RS 350, muncie
1970 Chevelle 454, 200 4r
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 09:28 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

I also recently had to replace 20 year old BF Goodrich TAs on the 68RS due to cord separation. They still had 60% tread.

The main thing to do when driving is to monitor for vibrations and check for the source as soon as possible, not just when convenient. What you think might be a minor vibration could cost you a lot of body repairs or even injuries.
You should also inspect your tires at a regular interval, like oil change or greasing or at least once a year. Bulges in the sidewall and tread cracks / separation can be found easily on a hoist.

Just my $.02.

Ron
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Stevo....This is a great time to smoke the remaining tread off the black 69's tires....:-)
SoCal805 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

+1 on the "damn these tires are old" group. Got my 67 last year with BFG's with full tread. Didn't think to check date code on tires. Did have fun just smoking them and driving aggressively through canyons. My son, fortunately a smart kid, says "Hey Dad your tires are 19 years old....".

Needless to say I bought a new set of BFG's and glad I dodged a bullet driving like I stole the car with 19 year old tires on it

I have been tagged in tech inspection (NHRA) for out of date tires....should of know better.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm pretty sure the tire shops here will not repair or mount tires that are over 5 years old. I have a set of tire that were never mounted on wheels that are 10 or 15 years old in my basement. Not sure what to do about those.

I was just thinking about this topic the other day as I have an Astro van in the drive that I haven't driven in three years and was wondering about those tires.

Jeff
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 20, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
what you think might be a minor vibration could cost you a lot of body repairs or even injuries
Quote:
stevo....this is a great time to smoke the remaining tread off the black 69's tires....:-)
hmmm

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 20, 05:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Ironically the tire failures I have had have been newer tires. One high dollar Michelin shredded on our Acura RL and was so destroyed by the time I got to the side there was no telling what happened.
I feel a tire company is kind of biased in suggesting new tires every five years or whatever. New tire technology means shorter life?
yellow69RS likes this.

1969 Z/28 X33
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 20, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Old tires on our cars, for some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Stevo....This is a great time to smoke the remaining tread off the black 69's tires....:-)
I'm working on it! Tried to get rid of some tread in front of the shop saturday. New tires ordered today. They'll be rollers on the 72 RS next week. LOL

69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode