2015+ Duramax owners - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
2015+ Duramax owners

What kind of MPG you getting ?

City________?
Hiway ________?
Towing ________?

4X4 ?
Mods ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: 2015+ Duramax owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
What kind of MPG you getting ?

City____17____?
Hiway ________? 24
Towing ________? 14

4X4 ?Yes
Mods ? No
2017 L5P. I once hit 28 @ 55 mph on a nice long back country road. I have a lead foot which hurts mileage.

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 20, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Are you looking at the 1500 or 2500? Lots of good info and reading at Duramaxdiesels.com as you know you canít do enough research. I have an 04 so I am not up to date on the newer ones.
DOUG G likes this.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 20, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvrmax04 View Post
Are you looking at the 1500 or 2500? Lots of good info and reading at Duramaxdiesels.com as you know you canít do enough research. I have an 04 so I am not up to date on the newer ones.
Either would be fine.
I had a '04 4x4 2500 gasser that towed great but got 12ish MPG, and 14-15MPG empty.
I drive 80 miles a day to/from work 6-7 days a week...so MPG IS top of the list. My 15004x4 gasser gets 18-20 on the normal (until winter gas blend thing they do, then it's 17-18 and 14-16 towing)

The average diesel of the same truck is $5-10K more, but IF MPG was good enough to off-set....it "might" be worth it.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Either would be fine.

The average diesel of the same truck is $5-10K more, but IF MPG was good enough to off-set....it "might" be worth it.
If you don't need the torque and hp of these modern diesels it will never pencil out to go with one. Here in California diesel is .75 cents more per gallon than regular. Then add up the extra costs of maintaining a diesel engine and you'll see owning a diesel isn't for cost savings. It's for sheer power and torque to pull just about anything you want.
buenymayor and dhutton like this.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

It will never pencil out on fuel but will at trade in time. A diesel will hold more value in the end. Especially a 4or.
130fe likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 07:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: 2015+ Duramax owners

I have a 2016, love it!

City________18
Hiway ________20 (driving 75-80 mph)
Towing ________15

4X4 yes
Mods no

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

If your not going to tow much then a 1500 diesel may be the way to go. They should be in the high 20ís for mileage I assume. You should also get more miles out of a diesel. The dpf on most new diesels have been problematic. Maybe they figured it out by now. If not it is costly. I get 23 mpg average. No less than 17 when towing a 8k 5ver. This is with mods.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 09:11 AM
Team Member
Don

I recently hauled a 59 Cadillac from Alabama in an enclosed trailer using a new Ram pickup with Cummins diesel. Power was amazing. That DEF is a PITA imho.

Don
130fe likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage

Yes, did all the math and say about $10K over a gasser with all the same stuff.
Cost of gas Vs diesel is close to same IF you use hi-test....I do not.
Upkeep is close to same if you do oil changes half as often on the diesel
So at approximately 10 years you're even...IF my math is good.

I don't tow a lot.
Mostly my daily driver, hunting rig, Harry homeowner hauler (lumber/dump/mulch/ETC)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 20, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Maintenance on a diesel is a lot more. Oil capacity is more. Fuel filtering is big to prolong injector life. Oe for mine was $60 ea. Switched to a cat filter. $12. Diesel power is addictive like the camaro. You will be modding and tuning but thatís the fun in it. For just mileage a car would better suit. Diesel jettas get 48mpg. We have a passat and get 46 mpg. Canít beet that for road trips. Maybe keep the truck you have. Everyone should have a truck or a least a good friend with one.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Unhappy Re: 2015+ Duramax owners

Quote:
Yes, did all the math and say about $10K over a gasser with all the same stuff.
Cost of gas Vs diesel is close to same IF you use hi-test....I do not.
Upkeep is close to same if you do oil changes half as often on the diesel
So at approximately 10 years you're even...IF my math is good.

I don't tow a lot.
Mostly my daily driver, hunting rig, Harry homeowner hauler (lumber/dump/mulch/ETC)

Will the diesel sell for 10K more years down the road?
Why would you do oil changes half as often when by GM's book the diesel is actually supposed to be done more frequently? Also at double the cost each time.
With the diesel you also have the added cost of fuel filters every 20K or so and DEF every 5K or so.
The diesel gets average 23 mpg city and the gasser gets average 17 mpg city. With the cost of diesel around these parts at .75 cents more per gallon, it is virtually the exact same cost to go the same distance per mile. ( Using premium gas a comparison is not a fair comparison because 99% of modern cars do not require it).

Depending on how long you plan to keep the diesel, there's no way it compares when you add in maintenance. Have you read the forums on DEF issues, injector replacements, etc... after warranty is up? Don't have any of that with a gasser. Just the typical sensors that seem to fail on all vehicles.

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvrmax04 View Post
Maintenance on a diesel is a lot more. Oil capacity is more. Fuel filtering is big to prolong injector life. Oe for mine was $60 ea. Switched to a cat filter. $12. Diesel power is addictive like the camaro. You will be modding and tuning but thatís the fun in it. For just mileage a car would better suit. Diesel jettas get 48mpg. We have a passat and get 46 mpg. Canít beet that for road trips. Maybe keep the truck you have. Everyone should have a truck or a least a good friend with one.

NO cars, I just can't do it LOL ...Camaro is my toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
Will the diesel sell for 10K more years down the road?
Why would you do oil changes half as often when by GM's book the diesel is actually supposed to be done more frequently? Also at double the cost each time.
With the diesel you also have the added cost of fuel filters every 20K or so and DEF every 5K or so.
The diesel gets average 23 mpg city and the gasser gets average 17 mpg city. With the cost of diesel around these parts at .75 cents more per gallon, it is virtually the exact same cost to go the same distance per mile. ( Using premium gas a comparison is not a fair comparison because 99% of modern cars do not require it).

Depending on how long you plan to keep the diesel, there's no way it compares when you add in maintenance. Have you read the forums on DEF issues, injector replacements, etc... after warranty is up? Don't have any of that with a gasser. Just the typical sensors that seem to fail on all vehicles.
I normally keep my trucks 8-10 years.
I thought diesel oil changes were less often....thanks for the heads up, I did not know.
Knew about fuel filters and water separators needing changed.

Guessin' I'll be sticking with the gassers. I hear guys taking about MPG and torque all the time, but none of the other stuff really.

Thanks all.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

My oil changes are every 10k I believe. I go by the dic on dash and gather the stuff under 50%. Donít want to talk you out of a diesel They are great for mileage, power and longevity. There are some cons as with everything. You will save $ on spark plugs and wires.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 12:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

Have you test driven a new 2020 Duramax? If your thinking about getting a new truck DONíT test drive the new 2020 Duramax. It could be a very costly adventure.
I donít commute in a truck. I have a 95 Buick Lesabre with less than 100 k miles on it. I use this to go to work or my Camaro in the summer. I tow with my truck. It is an 06 2500 Duramax and I love it. Sadly it has to go. I test drove a 2020 and now Iím looking for a crew cab dually to put my cab over camper as my truck is maxed out on weight. If u donít tow anything often I wouldnít get a diesel. If u do tow heavy loads like a cab over camper, camp trailer, fifth wheel you will love the diesel. The power and engine braking are a joy when loaded down. You could just buy one cuz u want one. Your Camaro probably isnít the best economical vehicle to drive but itís way more fun than a 95 Buick Lesabre. Have fun can always make more money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode