Team Camaro Tech banner

Daytona

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  rgwiz 
#1 ·
Ryan Newman is in the hospital after a nasty crash going for the win. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

#3 ·
Seems to me it's not the straight push of only two cars. It's when a third car pushing the second one gets it wrong and the second car gets to a situation where it's not straight on. I soon as I see someone getting pushed a little sideways, I hold my breath. Hope Newman has a normal life, that was a scary crash.

#4 ·
My thoughts & prayers to Ryan for his recovery and to his immediate family for they need all the strength in pulling themselves through this time in need.
Thankfully, Ryan, is alive, and have not read nor heard of the injuries themselves. Peace be with you all.

#5 ·
Restrictor plate racing is always going to keep the cars in a pack where drafting and the "push" is the only way to move away from the pack. Very narrow line on the push part. Lagano is a prime example of to much "push" (read hit hard).

Unfortunately for Ryan Newman the end result was a horrific crash. The one shot of the car as it rolled over with the DS roof collapsed with the exception of the bump where his helmet would be suggests, to me, his head/spine took a massive hit.

I pray his recovery is a full one. Have always been a fan of "front row" Newman

#6 ·
Never cared for the current driver of the 22. I think he is an *** and thoroughly enjoyed the karma he got at the end. That joy was short lived though with Ryan's crash.
I thought that car was going to ignite. Scary moments.

Reactions: rgwiz
#7 ·
seeing LaJoie's car in slo-mongo into Newmans between the shoulder bar and roof bar kinda gave me a sinking feeling. I cant think of a worse place to stress the cafe. I cant help to wonder about the fuel. What is it? It must be more stable than what we are pumping in our stuff. Anyway the news clips are saying hes awake now.

#8 ·
Great he’s awake. As above he got slammed at the worst possible place on the car.

Even without restrictor plates the race to the end will still involve pushing, drafting and side drafting. Pure physics.

RN hammered NASCAR hard to minimize cars going upside down. He even got fined for his comments if I remember right.

But you can not design a car that will not turn over if the circumstances all come together at the same time.

#9 ·
I had the opportunity to drive my Corvette at the Las Vegas track. They paced us so we couldn’t go real fast and do something stupid.

I got to about 130 mph and off the high bank to the straight away it was scary. I can’t imagine 200 mph with other cars 6” away.

#10 ·
I wonder how close those cages are to Top Fuel & Funny Car cages? The crashes are not the same, but it appears to me they need to make a small "Capsule" that is very protective. I'm sure they will work to improve the driver's cockpit area somehow.

Brett.....

#12 ·
I get the bumping and rubbing. It's always been part of stock car racing.
It's the extended bumping or push by one car that's seemed to cause every wreck. Even a tap in the turn will upset the leading car.
We all love the speed.

#16 ·
Glad to see he's OK. That being said... I can't stand to watch NASCAR anymore. I was a huge fan in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
When they got into the COT and the goofy rules, it all went downhill, IMHO. Races with segments? nah...

#18 ·
Given the "hush" initially on his condition and what the severity of the crash "appeared" to all of us it is amazing Ryan Newman walked out of hospital 2 days later with what appears to be without a scratch. Maybe there is concussion protocol going on, IDK. At the very least I suspect he is sore in several places.

I also feel NASCAR is far from what it was when I became a fan back in the 60's & 70's as a kid. Real sheet metal cars with not much more than a lap belt and helmet doing bump & run and about 180-200+ mph and often taking the argument face to face (read fist fight) after the race

Unfortunately the homogenized version of NASCAR today has turned it into a farce. Still running inches away at 200 mph is exstremely intense and there is absolutely driving skill needed to do this.

I have driven a cup car. Did the Chip Barber deal at California Speedway. A 2 mi high speed track. Unlike the Richard Petty racing experience you are allowed to pass. They run 10-15 cars at once with a follow the car in front start (read not a all car single start) but you can start passing once the "expert" riding with you gives you the thumbs up. They are on radios and communicate with spotters and the car in front is told to "stay high" while you pass only on the low side. The adrenaline rush going 155+ mph is incredible especially catching and passing another car. The sound is extremely loud. You can not communicate with the person sitting next yo you even if yelling, its that loud. Hand signals are what is done. You wear a fire suit and helmet. When you are done you are completely soaked in sweat. You would be drier if you jumped in a pool with your clothes on. The cars used are real cup cars generally a few years old that have been detune some but will run 150+ all day long. I averaged 157 mph in my 15 lap run and passed 5 cars. The 5th one I lapped as he was the 1st car I had passed. Having 40 cars bumper to bumper at 200 mph is WAY more than what I did and I can't imagine dealing with that kind of close traffic but if you ever get a chance to do the Chip Barber experience ABSOLUTELY do it

I have the "in car" video (camera shooting through windshield) and also video from the top of the pits my son shot while I did this. Amazing experience but certainly way less intense than real NASCAR racing let alone tight restrictor plate tracks

#21 ·
Very happy to see Ryan out of hospital and recovering. It sure looked a lot worst than it apparently was. Great for Ryan and family!

I too was once a BIG fan of NASCAR. I remember watching way back in the 60's with my dad and brother. Back then Fireball Roberts was my hero.

Later, beginning in the 90's my buddies and I were regulars at Pocono for ten straight years.

Today I can barely make it through the first "segment". I've insisted for a long time that the races are way too long. I remember one Pocono race lasting almost nine hours with rain delays, crashes and endless tack clean ups. Debris on the track! Oh God, not another yellow flag!

Another stab in the back is when they allowed Toyota to race the Camry. Really? It's a four door four cylinder mommy car. Sure so were the Taurus and Impala but those have changed.

NASCAR needs to shorten the races, go back to real cars with whatever engines, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, it doesn't matter provided the engineering can maintain minimum speed. I'm not sure all these suggestions can make NASCAR fun again, but something needs to be done.

My daughter got me a ride a long for father's day three years ago and that was really cool. At Pocono we did four laps averaging 160 mph.

Attachments

#22 ·
It's great to see Ryan walk out of the hospital under his own power. When I saw pictures after NASCAR put up those black screens around the car, my heart sank. When I heard the next day he was still alive, it was a good feeling.

With that being said, I gave up on Cup cars years ago. I was a DW fan (NOT as an announcer though), my Dad a Dale Sr fan and my Brother was a Gant fan. Two retired, one died and soon thereafter Cup racing changed to the worse IMHO. Today, I still would rather go watch the Modifieds and SK's run at my local tracks over watching what Cup racing has become. They can put on the best shows out there. They are fast, nimble and sound awesome.

For those who don't know what A Mod is, here is a picture of one from a couple years ago. Believe it or not, they still run a restrictor plate (like Cup cars used to do) and can utilize the draft at NHMS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.