Mustang commercials. What's up with them? - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

First of all let me just say that I'm not bashing Mustangs; I happen to like them, and my sister even drives an '02 GT 'vert.

That being said, the last two Mustang commercials I have seen have made VERY FALSE claims about the Mustang. The first one claimed that the Mustang was "The original muscle car". The original "Pony car" I'll buy. The Original "Muscle car" (correct me if I'm wrong) was the 1964 GTO.

The latest commercial (which I just saw today) claims that the Mustang is "The last surviving muscle car" (an obvious slam on the Camaro no longer being produced). Did they forget about the Corvette? Or is it not considered a Muscle car? What about the new GTO?

Comments anyone?

Scott.

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 04, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech

the musclecar claim is dependant on what you consider a muscle car.
the second claim probably has something to do with the fact that the mustang has been continually produced since 1964, whereas all the others are either gone or are just coming back after a few decades of absence.
most people have never considered a Corvette a "muscle car"- even tho there have been (and definitely still are) a few very muscular Corvettes. it is a sports car- or, i guess modern wordong would call it a "metrosexual" musclecar- strong and manly, but also cares about it's outward image.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

At least it isn't as bad as the 1993 Camaro ads that said "From the country that brought you Rock 'n Roll" when it was built in Canada [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 04, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAnxious:
At least it isn't as bad as the 1993 Camaro ads that said "From the country that brought you Rock 'n Roll" when it was built in Canada [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Isn't Elvis hiding up there? [img]smile.gif[/img]

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 01:13 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAnxious:
yeah, and lets not forget to thank Al Gore for "Inventing the internet" [img]tongue.gif[/img] Its all just Marketing Trickery , tricky bastards
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

They didn't make a 83 vette, so it is really the only muslce car that hasn't been out of production. It may be fords way of trying to sway gm's f-body owners, that are looking for a new car.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy-Z:
They didn't make a 83 vette, so it is really the only muslce car that hasn't been out of production. It may be fords way of trying to sway gm's f-body owners, that are looking for a new car.
Technically, is the Corvette a Muscle car [img]tongue.gif[/img]

*walking away slowly*

Joe

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Overanxious, The vett was probley the first real sports car, at least from GM. I don't think anyone could say a 69 sting ray with a 427 can not be called a muscle car. There are many years in witch the vett was one of, if not the highest hp production cars made in the good old USA. So if HP equals muscle. I do believe the vett can be called a muscle car. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Unhappy

Are you saying that marketers have to tell the truth? If that were the case all the advertising agencies would be out of business. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

70 Chevelle SS396 (427), M21
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Dano

They're called loopholes I believe...Legal professionals dwell on the most minute details to "fudge" their way into doing/saying almost whatever they want! The term musclecar is an opinion and not an irrefutable fact. In a court of law, I don't think that there would be a chance of pinning anyone down to proving that a coined phrase means a particular and exacting object, or type of car. I personally don't believe MOST of anything I hear on tv. I would agree that the GTO was the first real American musclecar! then I'm a Chevy fanatic/enthusiast and don't really care what Ford or Kia or Hyundai are doing

Dano
Dano

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 04:52 AM

Re: Mustang commercials. What's up with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
First of all let me just say that I'm not bashing Mustangs; I happen to like them, and my sister even drives an '02 GT 'vert.

That being said, the last two Mustang commercials I have seen have made VERY FALSE claims about the Mustang. The first one claimed that the Mustang was "The original muscle car". The original "Pony car" I'll buy. The Original "Muscle car" (correct me if I'm wrong) was the 1964 GTO.

The latest commercial (which I just saw today) claims that the Mustang is "The last surviving muscle car" (an obvious slam on the Camaro no longer being produced). Did they forget about the Corvette? Or is it not considered a Muscle car? What about the new GTO?

Comments anyone?

Scott.

I agree completely, in my opinion the GTO was the original muscle car. My mom had one in the late 60's, unfortunately she had to sell it because she was a single mom and needed the money more than the car because where she lived she could easily take public transportation. I always jokingly say that she should have sold my brother instead.

V8, 5.0 L 1991 RS

Last edited by joker111481; Jan 3rd, 07 at 05:06 AM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 06:51 AM
Tech Team

Although, Corvettes have plenty of muscle, they are considered sports cars, being a two seater. My opinion for the first muscle car was the 1962 Chevy w/409 that dominated the drag strips in '62.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 07:30 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

This has to be close to a record, digging up a thread that was over 2.5 years old since the last post...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
This has to be close to a record, digging up a thread that was over 2.5 years old since the last post...
Ha ha, I didn't even notice how old the thread was until you mentioned it.

V8, 5.0 L 1991 RS
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 07:53 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Actually it's good to see, it tells me folks are digging beyond the surface...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode