Denver Area ... anyone want to hook up? - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

We will be driving our Camaro out to Denver for my sisters 50th Birthday party on July 12th. Along with 69DZ CrossRam, we are trying to hook up with some of you Camaro folks for a short cruise to a burger place on Sunday afternoon the 13th.
Any takers?
We will be east of the Airport for our party so any ideas between the airport and Denver would be welcome. Since we are doing a 2000 mile trip, we wont be interested in a 3 hour cruise but going somewhere into the mountains for a short ride then some fellowship over the fenders along with a lunch would be great. Maybe someone can get a group of us a discount on meals for bringing some nice cars to a restaurant parking lot that afternoon.
Open to ideas and hope to connect with lots of TC members. Gee do I have to adjust the carb for that altitude?

[img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 10:44 AM

East of the airport? I didn't think anything was out there!! LOL I've flown into DIA many times, and all I can remember when looking out the windows opposite the front range was a lot of weeds and wildflowers.

Which way are planning on going? I35 to I80 to I76?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

LOL I know that flatland is like desert. My sis has a hobby farm of 20 acres south of some hick town just off I80 with a car wash and 7-11, thats it.
We are probably cutting down Minn on 71 to 23 to I90 then west to Sioux Falls then I29 to Omaha then I 80 to Denver.
That cuts about 45 miles off the I35 to I80 squared off route. I wont be pushing 70 or 75 anyway, going to take it easy on this trip. Sort of a shake down cruise
I wont be thru Rochester till Aug to see "Chicago" and try to have late lunch or early supper with you there Scott. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 11:28 AM

I'm sure the Denver guys will chime in here, but I thought the drive from Golden up to Black Hawk/Central City was great (and very close to Denver). With all the tunnels and following the river up into the mountains makes for a great drive.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Don

That's a beautiful drive, but a long way from DIA, and you'll hit a LOT of I-70 crosstown traffic on a Sunday afternoon.

Maybe some of the Aurora folks (east of town) will chime in. We used to cruise "Johnny's Diner" there in Aurora...is it still there guys? They had a very big cruise-in at one time.

The carb should be fine for a short trip, maybe an idle mixture adjustment.....

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech

There's a great little Bar/Restraunt call the Little Bear in a little town called Evergreen. I used to live there and it a great 30 min drive from Denver. Just don't take the highway, go up the canyon I think it's highway 74 through Morrison.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech

Hey 69PT!
I live in Centennial which is southeast of the metro area. Will you be in town over the weekend? A group of us meet every Friday night near the Sonic at Tower and Hampden. This is in southeast Aurora. There is a Texaco Quick Lube at the intersection and the owner is generous enough to let us use the parking lot there. There are usually around 30-40 cars every Friday night. The Sonic is only about 100 yards away, so if you have the munchies it is really close. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you more details.
Have a great trip!

Rick
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

OOOPPPPSSSS!
I meant Click.
Oh dopey me!
Rick
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Gotcha Dover [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] We arrive in greater downtown Byers on Thursday evening. Our Friday and Sat. will be pretty much family stuff at my sisters south of Byers, so the only day we will have available is Sunday. That trip up to Evergreen and the Golden area would be neat if no so far from DIA. Its over an hour and a half from Byers to Littleton and thats one trip I hope to avoid cuz of traffic.
Hoping there is someplace to cruise too between DIA and Denver.
Still hoping to connect with some of you guys out there. Keep the ideas coming.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

There's nothing between DIA and Denver. If you're looking for a nice drive, you just about have to go west of town. RickB1B suggested the drive up to Evergreen. That would be great, but the traffic on a weekend can be "interesting". If you left early enough in the day and went up I-70 and came back through Morrison, it probably wouldn't be too bad.
I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with something I'll let you know.
Rick
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 08:36 AM

Any colorado guys have the latest edition of "The Scoop", any cruise-ins or shows going on that day? Might be able to get alot of people together.
I'll be on vac. in Yellowstone till the 12th, but could probably get away on sunday for something. I'll keep my eye on this thread. Tom.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 08:50 AM

Just got off the phone with the manager at "Johnnys Diner". They would be thrilled to have a bunch of cars just show up. They have a crusie-in scheduled for July 5th. But nothing for the 13th, and said "come on over". So, sounds like this is an option. Any other ideas? Tom.
Johnny's Diner
2323 S Havana St, Aurora, CO 80014
Phone: (303) 369-8307
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Angry

Me thinks we have a winner there Tom.
I ran mapquest on it and Im only 37 miles from that place, mostly interstate.. lets firm that location up and set a time. Are there any shady spots there or all hot sun? How long would a group want to hang around there? Are there any short trips from there that might be fun, scenic etc? We'd be interested in more than just an hour or so eating and then go back to my sisters. But I also dont want to plan anyone else's whole day either. Ideas?
Tom, go ahead and set a time with the manager that suits you and we can meet there at that time and go from there after some grub. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
good job amigo

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

I'm glad to hear that Johnny's is still there. It's a 50's/60's style drive-in with great food.

As far as a scenic drive in that area, the mountains in the distance will be about it.....unless you consider the girls strutting their stuff on East Colfax Ave

J/K

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 01:17 PM

Manager said show anytime , they'll take care of us. So it just depends on what everyone wants to do. Input guys? Lunch? early dinner? How many Camaros can we get there? Doesn't matter if 1st gen. or not. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode