Team Camaro Tech banner

whats a good piston for a 69 302

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  69Z28-RS 
#1 ·
I'm going to freshin up my Z but whats the best piston for a 69 302
Richard

#2 ·
Mine was done with Federal Mogul pistons before I bought the car. I can't say whats good or bad but I was told the builder was known for high quality work.

#3 ·
I'm not even sure we can still buy stock 302 pistons anymore so please consider ROSS or one of the other name brand custom piston makers.

And I need a 4.00" set myself unless I go w/ 6.25" long SJ rods and 6" rod 350+.030" over flat-top pistons and small chambered heads!

And I WILL NOT install hypers in a 302!! Period!

Cheap steel-strutted cast or forged ONLY!!

pdq67

#6 ·
I used Wiseco. They make .03, .04 and .06 over size as I remember. The dome is not exactly like the originals but they are forged. I got mine from Summit.

#8 ·
check je pistons...trw's are heavy...

#14 ·
I guess wiseco is the winner.I have a set of standard bore pistons now.I need 30 overs.
thanks Richard

#15 ·
Factory stock 302 pistons were TRW supplied... back in the day, sealed power had a duplicate piston. I'm not sure now. I've got Forgedtrue in mine (simply because I owned a set of forged 30 over pistons when I rebuilt mine). If you are at stock 4" bore size, find someone with a good set of used factory pistons (I'm keeping mine though) .. )

Whichever you choose, choose FORGED.. not cast, not hypereutectic....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.