Team Camaro Tech banner

Shock suggestions????

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JimM 
#1 ·
I'm gonna get my new shocks this year (to go along with my new tires!!)

I currently have 6 year old KYB Gas a Justs. It's kinda like there were sticks there instead of shocks.

My first thought is to pick up a set of bilsteins and call it good, they work pretty nice on my truck and my vette, but this lil bird on my shoulder says some sort of adjustable shock might let me get the best of both worlds by letting my optimize the damping when I go to the drag strip while still keeping a more cornering oriented setup most of the time.

What say you?

#2 · (Edited)
Jim, I went back to a set of red Koni 3 way adjustables. I had this type of shock since day 2, I tried Delco, KYB and they just gave me a spongy feel. I have these shocks set on #2 setting. These were not the drag Koni's but the std red tube. I wouldn't have anything else.
80-1914 front, 80-1953 rear. These are lifetime shocks.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...l=Camaro&autoYear=1969&autoModClar=&brand=all These are for multi-leaf springs.

#5 ·
Jim Rancho or QA1's for rears. As far as the front The Bilsteins are a good choice or for a little more get adjustables and go with QA1's up front as well. The adjustable Koni's are decent 3rd choice. If you decide to go with the QA1's call me or pm me before you do.

#6 ·
I've had KYBs in my 67 for 12 years, and I somehow found a full set of Varishock single adjustables just sitting on my bench.... :D I think Marcus at SCandC had something to do with it... :noway:

I'm going to install them very soon, and I can tell you about the change. I'm really excited to play around with the adjustments.

Randy

#9 ·
Well, I installed my varishocks today, and wooooowwww what a difference!!!! :disco: It took a little more work than the average shock to install. You cant put them in from the bottom, because they are too big in diameter. So plan on popping the upper ball joint with these.
Also, I had to do a very small amount of clearancing around the opening on my lower control arms to fit the shock eye. But whats a performance part without a little massaging to fit it??
I took it out for a little spin this afternoon and man what a difference. I just kept them on the recommended starting point for now, because it was getting dark. 3 clicks in... A good bit softer than the KYBs but still 13 clicks more in adjustment to go. So I'm really excited to spend time dialing them in. I'm already very pleased with these. So there is my review. And thanks to Marcus at SCandC for helping me decide on these, and giving me honest straightforward advice. :thumbsup:

Randy

#10 ·
Done. Got some barely used QA1's from Chris above (Thanks Chris!!!) Got em installed this past weekend, and test drives yesterday and today.

These things are NICE. The suspension moves again. Smooth as silk even with those killer hotchkiss front springs. Car seems quieter, and a lot less rattly too.

These shock are big. Installation in stock lower control arms might need some grinding to clear the adjustment knob, perhaps even to fit the body through the hole. They slide right into my G/W Lower arms no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.