Team Camaro Tech banner

Calling all wiper arms!

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  coach420 
#1 ·
I need pictures to do this justice but I don't know how to add them.

Last Fall I bought windshield wiper arms from a supplier for my 67 convertible that were too long and hit the chrome at the top of the windshield. I ordered a set from another supplier and same problem.

A member of this site sent me pictures (thanks!) of his wiper arms that showed an overall length including wiper blades as 20 1/2 inches. The blade is 15 inches long. He measured the arm by removing it and placing it on the floor next to a tape measure. The sprung elbow near the base of the arm was left in its natural position, and was not straightened. The replacement arms, which this reputable and highly regarded supplier insists are shorter than their coupe arms, measure 21 1/2 inches long, with a 15 inch wiper blade. What is going on!

No wonder they hit the trim! Can I ask those members with 67 or 68 convertibles to remove a wiper arm and measure its overall length? By the way, I learned the hard way that the wiper arm removal tool is placed on the outside (top) of the wiper arm and the little arm of the tool goes over the edge and merely hooks the bottom of the wiper arm, to allow you to pull up on the entire arm.

I wish I could add pictures as it would be a lot easier to explain my request. Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of 20 1/2 inch (total) wiper arms?

Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
I cant help you get the correct arms but there is another possible answer...

They make an adjustable length arm. I used to sell them at an auto parts store. There was a lever cam that would clamp down on the long straight part of the wiper arm you could set them at any length you need. They looked close to stock too. They would work till you can get a correct set of arms.

Just a thought..

-Mark.

#4 ·
Convertible arms are different and the blades are shorter as well. I believe 15" and 15 5/32" blades are coupe and the ragtop blades are 14 7/8". How much did your arms cost and were they GM or repop? GM wiper arms for the ragtop are about $10 more each than coupe arms.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

#5 ·
DJD,

I didn't get them from GM and they did not come in a GM package so maybe they are repops. Are there any markings other than "conv" that would identify them as GM? I bought them from one of the well known suppliers but they do not list different types of wiper arms in the catalog. Should I try ordering direct from GM?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Most of the calatlogs show convertible and coupe and also offer GM or repop. Ground Up shows convertible and coupe on the web but doesn't say GM. Follow the link at the bottom of the page and click on the exterior link...

I have a CI catalog and they show both GM and repop (polished stainless) and GM and aftermarket.

#8 ·
I ordered from both R**ks and D*R, neither fit. I actually sent them back to R**ks and got a second set, that were also too long.

I don't think that continuing to order arms from additional suppliers will resolve this.

If an additional person could confirm the overall length of their convertible wiper arms with blades, that would be useful information for me and the suppliers as well.

Has anyone gotten replacement wiper arms for a convertible that were the correct length?

#17 ·
Ok, here's the conclusion to this story.

The good news is that I now have correct length windshield wipers for my 67 convertible. The correct length of the windshield wiper arms is 12 1/2 to 12 3/4 inches. With wipers and blades attached the length is 20 1/2 inches.

How did I get this right? With your help! It turns out that all the suppliers I contacted have wiper arms in plastic packages incorrectly labeled as being for 67-69 convertibles. In fact the contents are 13 1/2 inches long and are for coupes. I was incorrectly supplied with these arms by Rick's, D&R, Classic Industries and National Parts Depot. When I called Classic to discuss the fact that the arms were too long, they insisted that I was wrong because they "have sold thousands of these". The vendor who came through was NPD. Before placing my order I spoke with Derek Putnam (derek@npdlink.com) of their Florida location to discuss the problem I was having. Derek said that NPD had the correct arms. When the wrong ones arrived, I unloaded on Derek but he responded courteously and professionally. He then proceeded to search their entire parts bin of windshield wiper arms until he found a pair that were 12 3/4 inches long. He mailed me that exact pair. Now that's what I call customer service! Kudos to NPD and Derek Putnam!

This takes me back to all of you. Without the information that the wiper arms were 12 1/2 inches long, I could not have supplied Derek with the information he needed to find the right part. Thank you all again!

I have set up a page on Hobby Stage that has pictures. I'll add the address to this thread shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.