An EXCELLENT example of rust repair. - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

An EXCELLENT example of rust repair.

I found this on a forum I visit and feel it is such a good example of rust repair and fabrication at home I had to post it here. YES you can do it. YES it can be done at home with few tools. YOU can make these parts yourself.

Brian

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...88971/#1588971

1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1948 Chevy pickup.
2003 Dodge Caravan
1959 Rambler American (Yeah I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?)
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 12:11 PM
Bob

Re: An EXCELLENT example of rust repair.

That guy does some great work. A real craftsman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

That is some VERY nice work. I thought I was pretty decent. I need to step up my game.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 12:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Outstanding Work!

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Certainly a nudge for people unsure of their capabilities. I've been fabbing for over 20 years and respect someone who takes initiative. Let's face it, bodywork is not that difficult. Willingness, patience and perserverance are but a few key elements. A local blacksmith near me can humble any bodyman. Bodywork does not hold a candle to custom swordmaking from raw ore. Anyone in the market for a $40K sword and scabbard?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Impressive!

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
James

Completing a job like that is very satisfying... the hours invoved are unimaginable for a novice though... TRUST ME!

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Very impressive this guy has some patience I thought I was tedious he has it all over me.....

PRO.ST69orange

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 08:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
Completing a job like that is very satisfying... the hours invoved are unimaginable for a novice though... TRUST ME!
You can say that again! I'll bet he is not a weekend car restorer!

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
John

Those are some skills I'd love to have. Just watching skilled craftsmen do this still just blows me away with how easy they make it look.

I can't come close to that level at all.

Maybe someday/year/decade.....

I will get to it though. A goal I have.

- John
Misfit tortured soul. Lone wolf. Unicorn.
'67 V8 Camaro - 12637, 797-Z (Parchment), M-M (Royal Plum), 2M, 3K, 5Y
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Those are some skills I'd love to have.
you do now
Like the guys above say "Let's face it, bodywork is not that difficult. Willingness, patience and perserverance are but a few key elements."
But hey, that spplies to damn near eveything any way...wireing refurb the home what ever.
All u need is a few of the right simple tools, commonsense, and a bit of forethought.

But then the mentality of todays world is 'rip 5h1t and bust' need it now, buy it off the shelf

My old man used to say "if it was made once, it canbe made again...and we have better tools now"

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Guys, I know this man is very good, he does it effortlessly. But don't loose sight to the reason I posted it. I didn't post it so you would look at it and drool wishing you could do it. I posted it because you CAN do it.

Go out and try, look at those photos he posted. He cuts off a piece of metal. Looking at just that piece he takes JUST A PORTION of the piece and makes one like that portion. He then takes another portion of teh piece and makes on like it, and so one. He makes two, three, four, "bite size" pieces and then welds them together into the one piece to replace the rusted out one.

I have done it, I am not going that sort of work these days or I would do a "how to" for you. But this man has done it, it is all right there.

Forget about the press, forget about all that. Take a small bite sized piece and make a pattern, then bend that piece using the vice, home made dollies, what ever.

It really isn't that hard guys!

One thing I used to do was to cut that piece out, then flatten it with a hammer on a anvil. Now you have the exact shape of the piece to cut the new one out. I then drew lines on the new one where the folds went, and put the folds in, trial fitting it to the place where it goes.

All I know is, it IS possible to do this stuff as a home hobbiest.

I have said over and over, the only difference between putting a coat of wax on your car and doing a frame off restoration is the amount of steps it takes to do it.

Take each one of these tiny steps and put them all together and you have a restored car.

Don't be caught up in how skilled he is or the tools he has. YOU can do this!!!

Brian

1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1948 Chevy pickup.
2003 Dodge Caravan
1959 Rambler American (Yeah I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?)
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode