67 Detent Roller repair with out removing door? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

67 Detent Roller repair with out removing door?

I have to ask because I dont want to remove my door... Just wondering if any of you intelligent camaro lovers were ever sucessfull doing the 67 detent roller repair with the door on the car. My car has pretty fresh paint and is Black (ouch). My detent roller looks like it lifted off the stud that it rotates on. Its just hanging on the side of it. I rebuilt the hinges a couple years back but the detent rollers worked fine so I left them alone....My friend feels confident he can get the spring out with the tool. I dont know if I will get enough room to drill a hole and tap it for the new detent repair. The 67 repair roller needs to be drilled and tapped for the stud. Just wondering before I make any moves...Thanks

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: 67 Detent Roller repair with out removing door?

Good question. I need to replace mine as well.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Been their done that
The spring will squeeze out ok, but watch if it lets go...
Getting it back in
squeeze it up in a vice leaving the top 1/4 above the vice
wind some mig wire thru, about 5 times and tie of
carefully remove from the vice and do the other side , using ragesif the wire already on is against the vice jaws.
Again wind the mig wire thru and tie off
Drop into the door with a pair of long nose pliers and snip the mig wire with side cutters.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I guess from the lack of responses either no has been in this position, or I'm pretty much screwed and have to face it that I have to take off the door. Not looking forward to it. I'll try to get a hold of the right tools to let me get in there and see if I can do it while in the car. When I do get around to attempting it I will let you know if it was possible.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Hey Steps ...thanks for the response! It just posted after I responded above. Good to know someone has done it before me. What kind of drill did you use to get in the tight door jam?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Been their done that
The spring will squeeze out ok, but watch if it lets go...
Getting it back in
squeeze it up in a vice leaving the top 1/4 above the vice
wind some mig wire thru, about 5 times and tie of
carefully remove from the vice and do the other side , using ragesif the wire already on is against the vice jaws.
Again wind the mig wire thru and tie off
Drop into the door with a pair of long nose pliers and snip the mig wire with side cutters.

Gary

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Why not just get the door spring install/removal tool for only $4 at HF tools? It is a snap to use and saves your knuckles, eyes, and paint.

Here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95344

While one of the hinge pins is out, take an old used one and slip it in there temporarily while you rebuild the detent. Just an idea (if you happen to have an old pin laying around)

Hope this helps.

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Hey Todd...its not the spring thats my issue. I'm sure I can get that out with the tool. My concern is once I cut off the stud that the roller sits on and get it flush, I have to drill and tap a hole for the repair kit. I just dont know if I have enough room to get in ther with a drill and tap.

Heres a pic of what I have going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Why not just get the door spring install/removal tool for only $4 at HF tools? It is a snap to use and saves your knuckles, eyes, and paint.

Here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95344

While one of the hinge pins is out, take an old used one and slip it in there temporarily while you rebuild the detent. Just an idea (if you happen to have an old pin laying around)

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 843.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	11207  

Gary

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
What kind of drill did you use to get in the tight door jam?
From memory I used a dremel and tapped it out using a nail
the nail wa loose and left in
Instead of messing around with a new pin, I used a hih tensile screw and nut that fits neat and lock tite the nut.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
David

I have done the repair you are talking about, but I did mine when the door was off, so I can't really say if you can get in there with a drill while the door is still on.

67 RS marina blue, 406 ,M20 4spd, 9". car has been in my family since new!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

I'm on the edge of my seat on this one too. The detent stud on my passenger side door was broken off flush with the top of the hinge when I bought the car 36 years ago. It's been on my to-do list ever since. Do I hold the record for procrastination? I have been reluctant to pull the door off too, but there sure as heck isn't a lot of room to come straight down with a drill or a tap. The Dremel tool idea sounds like it could work.

1967 Plain Jane Coupe - and proud of it!
Mountain Green w/Black Bumblebee
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Well I took a ride to Harbour Freight here in NJ. Come to find out they have a new store about 10 miles from me so the mail order hassle is out of the picture. I stoped in to buy the $4 spring tool and ended up spending $65 on other stuff I really dont need but ya know. I know their tools are pretty much disposable but in a pinch they come through.
I took the spring out no problem. I went to mess with the roller and it was free spinning and hanging to the side of the stud. I banged it down with a hammer and it sat back down and spun fine though it was chewed up. I greased the heck out of it and put the spring back in. For right now it works and can get me through the summer (I hope). Heck Mark..it may last 36 years and my little guy can deal with it then I dont know if theres room for a drill unless you have a super long or flexible bit. Taping it is another hurdle. I guess someday I'm gonna have to take the door off but for now it bought me some time.

Thanks for the link to the HB tool.

Gary

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Glad it worked out with the spring removal tool. I meant, that with the spring out it would be easier to work on the detent roller. I must have been tired before and skirted your main issue.---oops!

Every time I go to HF, I do the same thing. That's why I write a list of only the things I need now, and end up spending lots less. Funny phenomenon...

'69 Frst Grn V8 Cpe-Building now!
'68 Sequoia Grn V8 Cpe--Building now!(too),
'67 White 6 Cyl Coupe Building now (three!)

'68 Conv. V8 4-spd Builder, '68 6 cyl Coupe, '75 LT350, '79 Berlinetta V6, '79 Z/28, '80 Z28, '81 Z/28, '82 Berlinetta V8,'84 T-top V6, '89 RS V8, +finally a '92 Z/28 T-top in Purple Haze Metallic--...ALL SOLD

My build thread:

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 08:57 AM
Apprentice
Chris

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Getting ready to try this with the door on. I will post up results.

yellow 67 vert 383 stroker tremec 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode