Actual Measurements of a Survivor 67 SS Bumblebee D91 Stripes - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 10, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Actual Measurements of a Survivor 67 SS Bumblebee D91 Stripes

I don't know about you, but the stripe sheet from the build book, I find a little lacking. I went to Skillmans Classic Cars where they have an actual untouched 1967 Camaro SS, and I did actual measurements at all points, or at least enough so you can do the stripes yourself. Did you ever notice when you go to a show, Every SS has stripes that are all their own.

This is an actual Untouched car. You have got to love it for information.

I have sketched as best as I can on site, I also included the actual rough sketch with measurements. Please ask if there is any questions.

DON'T DOG THE ART!!! Trying to help here.

Looking at the stripe around the SS
the gap over the front S is 9/16
the gap under the front S is 1/2
The gap over the second S is 1/2
the gap under the second S is 9/16

The opening for the SS is 2 1/8 front and back between pin stripes and between Main Stripe.

If you get a chance, You have to go to see this. It is a Secret spot in Indiana that is a car show in itself. You can enter without a ticket or invitation. Free Car Show every day. You can also scan through on line.
http://www.rayskillmanclassiccars.com/

Follow my build here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Balanced 350, Eagle rotating assy, Mahle Flat top Forged pistons, AFR 195 cylinder heads, AFR Hydrorev kit, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, comp Pro Mag Ultra Roller Rockers, Edelbrock AirGap RPM Manifold.
Live to rev!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: Actual Measurements of a Survivor 67 SS Stripes

Great info... Thanks. The only thing that supprises me is that the stripe goes down past the bumper similar to the design in some of the early marketing ads. What was the build date on this car?

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 10, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good info. Many photos from the era show cars with a stripe that ends just below the bumper. There must have been some point when it changed over. My guess would be the earlier ones are like you show and then they made a production change to simplify painting the stripe.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 10, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevs View Post
Great info... Thanks. The only thing that supprises me is that the stripe goes down past the bumper similar to the design in some of the early marketing ads. What was the build date on this car?
I can not open the hood, it is his collection, and he allows you to go in, but like a Museum he does not allow you to get into the cars unless you want to buy one. He has allowed me to go all over the car with a ruler measuring stripes and gaps, I didn't want to push my luck.
Mr. Skillman is a real nice guy. You always see him with a smile, even when you see him at Meacham or Barrett Jackson buying a Half Million Dollar car. He sold over thirty cars at the last Meacham Auction in Indy, and bought three. It didn't even dent the amount of cars he has in this collection.
He has a 69 Z28 all numbers matching 100 point correct barn find that was so bad when he bought it that you could open the door and walk through the car. No floor! Over two years later, it is a 100 point restored car with every part, piece and number correct. He has an Indian motorcycle, which was rescued from the bottom of a lake, and has been restored so perfect that it even has the Indian Spark Plugs in the engine. The hours he has invested by his restoration team in these cars would make them untouchable to the rest of us.
Then again, what is a 100 point restored flathead Indian, or a 100% 100 point 69 Z28 worth with every nut bolt and screw exactly the way it came from the factory, to someone who can afford it?
Donnie is the one over the team of mechanics working on these cars. He always has an answer to almost any question. If he doesn't know, he knows which of the ones there does know. I am sure that when I walk in they think, Here he is again, But they never act that way. They always smile and say hello.

Follow my build here:

Balanced 350, Eagle rotating assy, Mahle Flat top Forged pistons, AFR 195 cylinder heads, AFR Hydrorev kit, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, comp Pro Mag Ultra Roller Rockers, Edelbrock AirGap RPM Manifold.
Live to rev!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 10, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Chris this is great info. because this is the way I painted mine after the restoration. Check out the thread below. It debates the question in these last post.

Roger

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...&highlight=Bee

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 10, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Here's another log to throw on the fire. The famous "Hot Rod Magazine Camaro". If I remember correctly this was supposed to be the first big block camaro in CA? Anyway, this is the photo from the magazine. I don't still have the issue but it was somewhere around 68 or 69. You can clearly see the end of the stripe. It's got to be a build date thing.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 10, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Actual Measurements of a Survivor 67 SS Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
... famous "Hot Rod Magazine Camaro". If I remember correctly this was supposed to be the first big block camaro in CA? Anyway, this is the photo from the magazine. I don't still have the issue but it was somewhere around 68 or 69. You can clearly see the end of the stripe. It's got to be a build date thing.

Or - that could be called the 'Infamous' "Hot Rod Camaro"
So much information, and miss-information, has snuck into that cars history over the years it would take a half the Smithsonian staff to straighten it out
It was not the "First Camaro in CA." - it was the first test vehicle used out here for press sessions.
It was an SS-350 w/4-speed - originally ...
I was not the first factory 396 - although it was an early car and may not even be the same vehicle used for the original Sept/Oct. tests in those first articles ...
The '11-sec.' test was done with a L78 equiped SS - so it would put it in the March-ish time frame for a production car. I have that issue of Hat Rod also (but not here with me) and it was May/June 1967 or so IIRC. There several articles over the late 1966 ~ 1967 time period with modifications and ect. to that 'car', so you need to be sure to connect articles with the confiquration at the time.
The stripe was revised just about the same time as it was released as an RPO option (RPO-D91) IIRC - about the same March-ish time period, maybe earlier ???
The "original" test car was wrecked (actually several times over the first few years of it's existence) during the early part of 1967 - so it's not hard to imagine it could have been repainted with the present documentation available - or ... even what the dealers painter observed (maybe measured) from one of the cars on the lot at the time ...

Remember when comparing to early vehciles to cars like the "Pace Car" fleet - that these are late (March/April-ish) production vehicles and would have the later stripe layout ...

I've measured a lot of stripes over the years, and can state there was a lot of variation - from period to period, from assembly plant to assembly plant and from vehicle to vehicle
Bottom line - if you car is original, copy the present stripe layout and repaint the same way - if not original, find an original vehicle from the same assembly plant and time period and copy those stripes.

Hope fully the CRG guys have a ton of more factual info on this and can chime-in and clear some of it up.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 10, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Re: Actual Measurements of a Survivor 67 SS Bumblebee D91 Stripes

My Stripes. I gave the measurements to the painter, and this is how they came out. He had to adjust the measurements to my SS emblems that I had already drilled. I told him to make it work.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

I was ask for these measurements, so I have revived this thread. As to the question as to where the stripe ended, it totally depends on when your car was built, and where. Also many of these stripes were added at the Dealer, and you also had the Pace Maker cars. I had to go to an actual Survivor car to get these measurements. In production you have to know how much it will save in the run of a car to cut four inches off of each side of the car. Over the run of a year, or in the case of this car, several years, how much would they save in paint.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Christopher,

Thanks for the information you've already posted. Is this car a survivor car or a 100 point restoration? Is this car still in his collection? Do you have more / better pictures of the car and stripes? First time I've seen this thread and appreciate the time you put into taking measurements and sketches.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 14, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

This is a survivor. It was never retouched in any way. It is kind of sad in a way because there were some minor issues that could be fixed rather easily, but due to the nature of the car, value of it as a survivor, it may never be repaired. It has everything it had the day it left Norwood Ohio, and was saved as it is.
It is also a Very Early 1967.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 14, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy4s View Post
In production you have to know how much it will save in the run of a car to cut four inches off of each side of the car. Over the run of a year, or in the case of this car, several years, how much would they save in paint.
There are more survivor photos of the short stripe in this thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=clill

I don't know if saving paint was their intention. But from a design standpoint the short stripe is more appealing. It follows the contour of the fender, has width consistency, and does not appear heavy on the bottom.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 14, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

To both Christopher and Scott:

This information is a Godsend!! The body 'n' paint man and I were just workin' on this for my '67 SS car today!! The "SS" holes are already drilled, but I think we will be pretty dang close, though. I just checked the paint stencil we were/will be using and it checked out at 3 3/4 for the wide and 1/8 for the narrows and the spacing between. So the "SS" emblems can't be off by much - if at all!

I will call him tomorrow to tell him we now have measurements from survivor car's painted stripes and something solid to go on! This makes me feel so much more at ease by having found this thread! Thanks to you Christopher for doing such a great job at measuring and drafting a good blueprint to work from! And thank you Scott for the verifying pictures and measurements in the other thread!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 14, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cliff

I guess we can assume that the stripe on an RS car is the same?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 4th, 14, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu7371fish View Post
I guess we can assume that the stripe on an RS car is the same?
Yes they should be.

Follow my build here:

Live to rev!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode