Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Camaro Upper Dash Panel Replacement

15K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  jtchevy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm going to attempt to buy a replacement upper dash panel soon for my 1969 Camaro and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? Any suggestions on which brand of replacement panel I should buy (that fits well)?

#3 ·
X2

And, by the way, that is the GOOD one. The other one available isn't even as thick as the U.S. made version. Some vendors sell both. The more expensive one is the better one, but still has the issues Willima mentioned.

I welded the corners on the vin window and reshaped it, so at least the window is now the right shape. However, there was no way to reproduce the bead (more of a turned down edge). I didn't realize the rivet holes were misplaced until I painted the thing and put the vin tag back in. Crap, had to take it out and elnogate some holes to make it work. Very frustrating. It amazes me that I have yet to see ANY reproduction part that is really 100% correct. Vendors throw around phrases like "exact reproduction", "show quality" and "100% technically correct", but it is all just puffing in my opinion.

Rest of the upper dash was acceptable. If I had it to do over again, I would have patched in the part of my original with the vin window.

#4 ·
I bought an a/m one, but decided against using it for the reasons mentioned. They're bad and obvious... I decided to just repair mine. It was only the part where it welds to the cowl that rotted, so I'll patch it using a piece from the one I bought. I didn't want to mess with my VIN either. How bad is yours?

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go ahead and follow your advice and order a replacement panel but only use what I need of it (edge where the windshield rests). Here are some picture of the rust I am dealing with. I notice the rust is pretty close to the middle vent. Where do you guys suggest I cut and patch the new piece in?

#6 ·
Before you remove the old one take plenty of pictures/measurements of the dash panel, particularly on the sidee where the doors close. When I cut mine out I left a small tab from the original panel to use a reference point and to weld the new panel to. All was fine until I started welding in the new panel and the crappy weld from the factory came apart and tab came off. The factory well was so bad there wasn't even a mark on the pillar. After it was welded in the dash panel was off, shifted slightly to the passenger side, making it nearly impossible to get the dash pad on.

#12 ·
Makaveli,

I had similar rust on my 69 dash. since my drivetrain was in and as mentioned the quality of the replacement dashes wasn't the best, I had my body guy section in the the good metal onto my existing dash. This way i didn't have to remove the engine or worry about my vin, not to mention you can't tell it was even repaired. One thing you also might need is the upper cowl panel which the dash rest on. I had rust there as well. My painter again sectioned in the good metal and removed the rust. He's a link to my car journey though the body shop.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188964

#13 ·
Hi all I looking to replace my 1969 Upper Dash Panel and had picked one up from AMD, the packing was really bad, just a Thin One Sheet bubble wrap got it damage, I was told they won't replace it and will not ship any thing any further can't be put on truck and delivered (WOW). I also reached out to Real Deal Steel but won't ship to my location (HI).

So now I am looking at Dynacon and Sherman (was told 19 gauge steel) ? Doesn't anyone have any suggestions? I am waiting to hear back from Class Industries. I was hoping to find best OER possible.
v/r
JT

#14 ·
Hawaii is a hard place to find used parts. I cut an original out of a Nova. I don't know why the windshields in Nova's don't leak like the Camaro does. Today's 19 gauge metal is crap. If at all possible try to fix what you have. All of the aftermarket ones are most likely made by the same company and re labeled. Can you use the AMD one for patches?

#18 ·
Thank you all for reply, yup we can never get a break here in HI, on shipping sales. I am very grateful for this list. I really appreciate you folks writing back. Yup the one AMD send was not wrapped and slammed around in the box. The Tech whom helped me at AMD was really supportive and told me sorry and agreed about the packing and shipping; he also told me the guy doing it really don't care to pack it depending it how it's being mailed out. I sent pictures of it and TBH the box had NO damaged, the carrier told me they believe it was shipped damaged (WOW). The box had no outside damage. I provided pictures of the box and dash. I can't used the one they sent the area I needed; it the area I need to replace :-(. Is anyone familiar with Dynacon or Real Deal Steel? What I might do if I can find one anyone is similar with have it shipped to my son on Mainland and have my son; forward (ensuring package great) to me. Thank you so much!
Grace and Gratitude!
JT

#21 ·
Thank you. I am awaiting call back for shipping! Also checking with Class Industries and both reply someone will contact me for shipping.
The funny thing; AMD says they will not ship to HI but when I check with both Summit and Class. told me will be shipped directly from AMD?
WOW.

v/r
JT

#24 ·
Wow what it with AMD, I ordered 1969 upper metal dash replacement box wasn't damaged but opened and the to fine it damages, wrapped in single ply thin bubble wrap,, I finally got my refund. So I go and order it from Jegs!!! I didn't realize it would be shipped from AMD direct.. was worse..... the box has no damage... I opened it up NO BUBBLE wrap at all and the driver told when he was walking it up to my driveway was just "slamming" around in box. Do these guys tureeven care.
I sent pictures for second time and waiting to hear back. I told the Representative and he told me "Sorry and by box and wrap appears was shipped that way and the warehouse doesn't care... WOW...
JT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.