• 2 Post By 69-Pace
  • 1 Post By Garfields Maro
  • 1 Post By Garfields Maro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 16, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Door Glass Install...Things They Don't Tell Ya

I installed the driver window this afternoon. Four times. Wrestled it in really. Not at all like the quick and polite install on the U Tube video I watched. Of course I pulled the rear window stabilizer after the first time I pulled the window back out. Yes, it's true. It cannot be installed with the window in. So out comes the window, stabilizer back on, wrestle the window back in. I determine that the rear stabilizer needs to be bent a little bit -too tight on the window. Yank the window again. Then while trying to bend the stabilizer back ( it was immovable) I realized what no one had ever mentioned.
The stabilizer is hooked on one end because THE HOOK GOES BEHIND THE SHEET METAL. Aaaaargh.
Correctly mounted the stabilizer and got that final polite, quick install.
The picture shows the front stabilizer correctly mounted.
Anyone discover any other things no one told us about window install?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizer.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	151585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 16, 06:44 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Door Glass Install...Things They Don't Tell Ya

Funny I was just reading this article when I saw your post. Everyone out there makes glass installs sound so easy. I hate the jobs that revolve around glass - just too many adjustment positions to mark and remember.

1968 Chevrolet Camaro Project Track Rat - Rebuilding Doors
130fe and Moonpie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 16, 07:28 PM
Team Member
Don

Far from an expert but aren't the window felts supposed to be installed before the glass goes in? Maybe it doesn't matter on the F body cars.
Don

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 16, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

He has belt reveal moldings. The felts attach to those first, then the molding/felt is installed as a unit. I recommended to Mickey to install the glass first (it has to be all the way to the bottom of the door to access the molding screws) as that's the way I did it without any problem.

Was thinking the moldings/felts maybe could be installed before the glass (?), but wasn't sure, so I recommended doing it the same way I did.
Moonpie likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 03:18 AM
Tech Team
Bud

Garage

I did a D/S window in my 92 GMC van. The glass pulled out of the track. I used black Hi temp silicone to glue it back in. That was the worst window ever to get out and in. The install was such a PITA. I was told by a Dealer mech that silicone would never hold. It has been 11 years still working well. Guys that do windows regularly get fast at it cause they know what to do. For people that might do it once in a life time have a little more trouble. My 64 Lemans has to have the glass out to get at all the screws but you can get a couple out with glass in. I think you can drop the glass all the way down unbolted from the regulator to get at them. I just took The glass all the way out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
He has belt reveal moldings. The felts attach to those first, then the molding/felt is installed as a unit. I recommended to Mickey to install the glass first (it has to be all the way to the bottom of the door to access the molding screws) as that's the way I did it without any problem.

Was thinking the moldings/felts maybe could be installed before the glass (?), but wasn't sure, so I recommended doing it the same way I did.
I hope the inside felts/sweeps can be installed with the window in. Tonight I sneak the regulator in and bolt it and the window up.
There is a way to get the window a bit lower, I think. That would be to disconnect the vertical tracks with the window in it and let it drop as far as it will go.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

The inner felts are on the interior (door) panels. No problem there.

To get the door glass all the way to bottom, just remove the 2 glass mounting nuts from the horizontal sash and carefully lower it down.
Moonpie likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

That's a great article, and I like that they included most of the part numbers as well.
I'll be starting this process over the next couple of weeks, so glad you posted this now

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

I have still been fighting my 69 door window. 6 months now. I'm going to pull my hair out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 09:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Your stableizers are not in correctly....I figured that out on my 69 after 2 days of kicking and screaming.....some pumching...
They have to sit down and away in the recess. Are ypur doors and glass original or aftermarket...?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 16, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Deroid-the right door is a repro and I had to do some bending of the door lip at the stabilizer mount and the stabilizers to get them to fit correctly. And the door handle hole had to be carefully reworked and bent in. With fresh paint it was a little hairy.

After figuring out that my stabilizers were incorrect the rest of it was a piece of cake. Vertical tracks go in first loosely connected. Then the door glass tips in to the vertical tracks. Keep it raised to give room for the regulator.
Sneak the regulator in with both sashes on the rollers. The hard part was getting one bolt to start on the regulator. Then the regulator could be rolled to help get the other 3 bolts in. I put the long sash in place and put the bolts on finger tight. Then I could roll the window up and down somewhat. This helped locate the small sash and bolt it down. This door had witness marks and I just tightened bolts to the marks. On the repro door I will locate everything roughly like the driver door for a start.

The wear pattern on the stabilzers was dead center so I pulled the glass back and forth and centered it on the stabilizers. After roof rails are in then I'll adjust everything.
The striker and latch had already been aligned. I pulled the latch back out before window install.
Now I attached both rods and the door crank to the latch and carefully put the whole mess in place and bolted it up.
The glass adjustments look pretty easy. It helps to have the Fisher body service manual and read it.
Plus Team Camaro to lean on.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 03:11 PM
Probationer
George

Dude, your my hero! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out the front glass, daa the hook goes behind the sheet metal for the stabilizer! I have been looking in all the factory manuals I have, every parts catalog with no success, thanks for posting.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 19, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Sal

Argghhh!!! I just had the EXACT same issue two weeks ago. Wrestling... in and out... and then it dawned on me. Doh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode