Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sauron67MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

doors way off.... 1/4" too far back!

Just getting my 67 machine back together and found the doors a 1/4" or more rearward than they should be. New hinges all around.

I loosened the bolts that hold the hinges to the body shell where the threaded 3 hole plate is behind. Did my best pushing the hinges forward tapping with a heavy hammer but they are at the fullest forward position from what I can see.

Wondering if I should take off the doors and hinges and elongate those holes in the body shell horizontally toward the front to let the hinges move forward? Or elongate the holes in the hinges? Attached are pix to see what I've got. Sorry about 3 of the pix went vertical from my computer to this board.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3495.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	157482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3498.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	157498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3500.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	157506  

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	157514  

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: doors way off.... 1/4" too far back!

When you had the doors off, there should have been holes that behind it has this floating plate with the threaded holes in it. I wonder if the holes themselves are not elongated enough and this is limiting the travel even though the plate may move more than that to where the holes then become partially covered ?.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
When you had the doors off, there should have been holes that behind it has this floating plate with the threaded holes in it. I wonder if the holes themselves are not elongated enough and this is limiting the travel even though the plate may move more than that to where the holes then become partially covered ?.

Jim
That's what I'm thinking, Jim. As the doors fit great with the old hinges but not with the new ones. So, I'm hoping that the holes can be elongated and also the plate will move further forward. Looks like I'll have to pull the doors off to check this out. Not a big deal as I rigged up a door jack using a tranny jack base....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	157522  

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I would maybe mark where they sit now with some masking tape around the edges of the hinge and then after filing the opening (if that even works) make sure it's enough AND not expose things that should be covered by the hinge.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Gordon, Did you rebuild the original hinges or are you using repops ? If using repops compare them to the originals. Chances are they are different. I don't think there is much more movement in the caged nuts than what you have used already. You'll probably have to modify the door side of the hinges. Or have the originals rebuilt.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
As the doors fit great with the old hinges but not with the new ones..
And there is your problem. I do not use aftermarket hinges on restorations. I especially send '67 GM hinges to Willie due to their design. HoodHingeRepair.com You'll receive rebuilt GM '67 hinges better than the factory made them. I've posted this info numerous times with photos. As expected, I am easily able to adjust doors to quarters and fenders with GM hinges.

A previous customer supplied me with new repro '67 hinges and they were sloppy and poorly made. When the car arrived I told him to supply me his original GM hinges to be rebuilt.

I've sent Willie numerous '67 door hinges, hood hinges and '53 Ford truck hinges and have no complaints.
Kenny Gentry likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

If you still have the old hinges, rebuild them.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 16, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Gordon, Did you rebuild the original hinges or are you using repops ? If using repops compare them to the originals. Chances are they are different. I don't think there is much more movement in the caged nuts than what you have used already. You'll probably have to modify the door side of the hinges. Or have the originals rebuilt.
I got repops. I let the original ones go as, at the time, they were junk to me and I let them go, but now I do realize I should have kept them as a lot of guys on this site say "keep everything" when rebuilding a car.

Modifying the door side of the hinges is not going to add any more lateral movement. I would have to modify the body side of the hinges as that's the part that's going to slide laterally more to the front hopefully, and back. The door side of the hinge will adjust the door in or out perpendicular to the length of the door.

Anyway, off come the doors in a day or 2 and will take it from there and let y'all know what's going on.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 16, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
I got repops. I let the original ones go as, at the time, they were junk to me and I let them go, but now I do realize I should have kept them as a lot of guys on this site say "keep everything" when rebuilding a car.

Modifying the door side of the hinges is not going to add any more lateral movement. I would have to modify the body side of the hinges as that's the part that's going to slide laterally more to the front hopefully, and back. The door side of the hinge will adjust the door in or out perpendicular to the length of the door.

Anyway, off come the doors in a day or 2 and will take it from there and let y'all know what's going on.

Gordon, I should have said body side (my bad). They can be slotted quite easily on a mill or with a die grinder.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 16, 06:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Since the original hinges are gone, you might still be able to use the reproduction hinges.

Some people enlarge the hinge's A pillar bolt hole so the door will move forward a little more.

I was able to enlarge the A pillar mounting plate holes to allow the door to move forward.

Original mounting plate:

Mounting plate door holes enlarged with a die grinder:

Photo of the A pillar door mounting plate. This is the side that is facing the interior of the car.

It is hard to see but the above mounting piece has a mounting plate that is surrounded by a metal box. The plate can only move so much before it hits the box.

If you enlarge the hinge holes, the bolt will no longer fit tightly in the hole. Maybe the door could slip out of position in the future.

There is not much spare metal to remove from the mounting plate holes.

You might have to do a combination of both methods.

Patrick
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 16, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Thanks, Patrick for the pix. A-pillar is the term I was looking for! I've got a die grinder so will use that to elongate the holes forward. If I have to elongate the hinge holes as well, I'll have to use metal epoxy to inject into the bolt hole to hopefully keep it from moving in the future.

Glad this is not a strict restoration and it's to be a fun car. I'll go back in my receipts this weekend and find what brand name and who sold me these repops. Seems anything made overseas can be way off as far as specs is concerned. But my local machine shop when he does my block .030 over on the cylinders the .030 over made in American piston rings fit like a charm and the end gaps are on spec!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode