What will this entail? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 18, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: What will this entail?

Good time to buy a mig welder, not a flux core type would be my suggestion, then practice on scrap metal pieces. I have fixed much worse than that. I would cut the area out past the rust and flip the cut pieces over to see if you cut past the rust, if not cut more until you do. Then weld a patch in solid and flap wheel off. Sometimes you can get under the repaired area to paint or undercoat. It took 50 years to get that rust in it under daily use so it should be good for art least another 50 more of good weather use.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 18, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow69RSZ View Post
Good time to buy a mig welder, not a flux core type would be my suggestion, then practice on scrap metal pieces. I have fixed much worse than that. I would cut the area out past the rust and flip the cut pieces over to see if you cut past the rust, if not cut more until you do. Then weld a patch in solid and flap wheel off. Sometimes you can get under the repaired area to paint or undercoat. It took 50 years to get that rust in it under daily use so it should be good for art least another 50 more of good weather use.
That's a very appealing idea. I'd love to have my own welder for future projects like this. What kind of experience did you have before you did it yourself? I'm intimidated to try and pick something up when there's a whole trade school built around teaching people how to do it properly.

1969 RS/SS 350 3.31 4 Speed (All Original)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 18, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Many tech schools and junior college offer night adult education classes at reasonable prices.

67 RS/SS 350, M21, 3:70 POSI, Hooker side mount headers, blue dot tail lights. owner since 1974.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 18, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

The dash panel is held on with spot welds. There is a row of them where you are seeing the rust and another row along the front of the dash. A spot weld will look like a little dent in the metal. You can buy a spot weld cutter ($5.00??) and drill out the welds. After all the spot welds are drilled out, then the rusted panel can be removed. You will be able to see if there is more rust damage under the upper dash panel.

Most of the work can be easily done by you. Mark the location of the upper dash panel, drill out the spot welds, remove the panel. Fix the rest of the rust damage and paint the bare metal.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a new reproduction dash panel. You can replace the whole thing or cut it and use it to make a patch. Then you need to decide if you want to hire a welder or do it yourself. All of the welds will be hidden after you put the car back together.

Patrick
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 18, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you can get a new top dash panel to fit nicely, just panel bond it. Newer cars are assembled with panel bond so I wouldn't be scared to do it. Besides that it will seal out moisture. As was said it doesn't show when the car is reassembled anyway. There is a tab on each end that is tack welded but I don't think it is absolutely necessary to weld them. If I remember correctly some replacement tops don't include the tabs.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 18, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
That's a very appealing idea. I'd love to have my own welder for future projects like this. What kind of experience did you have before you did it yourself? I'm intimidated to try and pick something up when there's a whole trade school built around teaching people how to do it properly.
I learned to fab and weld back when I was a kid (in the 80's) and got sick of waiting for the body shop to NOT work on my car so I learned as I went along. I took a general welding class at BOCES but learned more on my own. Most guys will tell you that you can stop rust and it will always come back but I have never had a problem, if you remove and clean as much of the rusted area and seal from behind if you can to stop the rusting process. I am very old fashion in my repairing processes. I did my yellow car back in 2002 and no bubbles on any of the repairs, not rocket science, very basic, best of luck!!!!

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

I've purchased the replacement upper dash and have begun taking out the spot welds. It'll be a learning process as my first spot weld removal I drilled right through both pieces of metal.

However, I read here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bo...ment-help.html that I need to test fit glass first. Is this correct? I need to test fit glass before welding in the new upper dash?
tp_smith likes this.

Last edited by CDB; Jul 30th, 18 at 10:17 AM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I definitely would test fit the glass before you weld it in. Its much easier to adjust now if needed instead of having it all welded in and realize your windshield doesn't fit now.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
I definitely would test fit the glass before you weld it in. Its much easier to adjust now if needed instead of having it all welded in and realize your windshield doesn't fit now.
Thanks. This job might have grown out of my expertise and available time.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Thanks. This job might have grown out of my expertise and available time.
Sounds like you have it figured out. I would test fit the glass and finish it up.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty68 View Post
Sounds like you have it figured out. I would test fit the glass and finish it up.
What should I be doing to test fit the glass? Just line up the dash panel, clamp it, then put the glass on and make sure it sits? Is that all there is to it?

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 06:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
What should I be doing to test fit the glass? Just line up the dash panel, clamp it, then put the glass on and make sure it sits? Is that all there is to it?
I havenít looked close to a 69 dash top but a 68 has tabs that curve downward on the engine side of the panel to help locate it. Did you measure everything and possibly take pictures of your old panel in place for reference? If so clamp the panel where it should be and fit the glass to the new panel to make sure you donít have to move it forward or back to fit all four corners and the middle top and bottom of course. Itís no rocket science trust me you will know if itís not right. You got this! 👍🏻👍🏻

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 06:43 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Most likely frame repair etc. Most mobile welders are stick welders. Not what you want.

If you put it on a trailer and bring it to me I could weld it in for you. It is not a huge job.

Don
Very nice offer Don👍
Smitty68 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 18, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
I recommend replacing top of dash as a whole panel. I believe it will be easier in the end and let u see if there are trouble spots that are hidden. You can drill out the spot welds to get the panel out.

If u don't want to do it all, buy the new panel, cut out all the rot and cut a patch off the new panel and replace. That will alleviate the headache of fitting the window.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 18, 11:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
After taking a better look, I think you should follow my second suggestion. You can use a smaller die grinder and surgecilly remove the top layer just below the top of the dash panel. Be sure not to cut through the lower layer metal at the bottom.

Drill out or grind off the spot welds.

Buy a replacement panel and cut a patch out. Clean the underlying sheet metal thoroughly. Hopefully, you won't have to patch the lower section.

Once done with cleanup of metal. etch the metal and spray with weldable primer/sealer.

Weld the patch it. Etch and seal it. Primer and filler it and make sure to get good contour. It should be easy to do with patch from replacement panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode