Paint on the id tab and control arms - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Paint on the id tab and control arms

Have a 68 camaro bb 396 ss/rs car. I just painted my engine and the id tab was paint however now i am not sure if it should be bare metal or leave it painted. 2nd item is the upper arms painted before the ball joints are riveted and if the bushings were also install after paint. A book called camaro restoration guide, page 111 states that the arms are paint semi black paint after ball joints are installed as one unit. Could someone, tell me the correct way to paint the arms before i screw it up. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage
Re: Paint on the id tab and control arms

I'm not sure on the ball joints, however the engine pad was painted from the factory. Some people sand the paint down or scrape the paint off to make it easier to read.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Would that be a ding if i start to show the car. Thanks for the reply

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

That depends on the kind of show. If you are at a general car show, where you have judges that know a lot about a lot of different cars but not a lot of specific details about the individual cars=No. If you are talking about a Super Chevy show, where the judges are chevy experts= doubtful, but maybe a minor deduction at best. If it is concours show, where every detail matter=yes. If it were me, I would take a garbage bag, and cut a tiny hole and mask off the motor so the only thing showing is the pad and hit it with a cheap can of chevy orange spray paint.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Upper a-arms had the shafts/dogbones, bushings and hardware installed, then painted. Ball joints were installed after and were natural finish. Engine pad was not painted, it was masked prior to paint. All this is at CRG.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thanks scott for the info. I need to find crg about the paint. I appears that the ball joints will rust so i will need to paint prior to install is that correct. Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 06:02 PM
Team Member
Bob

Agree with Scott. Here’s a thread at CRG about the engine pad paint.

Engine pad....painted or not

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
'00 Vette - 350/345 Convertible, 6 speed
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akxtreme View Post
That depends on the kind of show. If you are at a general car show, where you have judges that know a lot about a lot of different cars but not a lot of specific details about the individual cars=No. If you are talking about a Super Chevy show, where the judges are chevy experts= doubtful, but maybe a minor deduction at best. If it is concours show, where every detail matter=yes. If it were me, I would take a garbage bag, and cut a tiny hole and mask off the motor so the only thing showing is the pad and hit it with a cheap can of chevy orange spray paint.
At some shows its a major deduction and as stated the pad was not painted as it was masked off and should be paint free.
Years ago many restorers painted the dog bones cast blast and left the washers zinc coated but that was incorrect and again as Scott mentioned the a-arms when shipped to the assembly plant they came as a painted assembly. Since the ball joint was installed at the assembly plant it is not painted.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old person View Post
Thanks scott for the info. I need to find crg about the paint. I appears that the ball joints will rust so i will need to paint prior to install is that correct. Thanks again for the help.
No paint on ball joints but yes utilize a type of rust preventative or some people use a satin lacquer spray bomb (very thin coat).

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

My bad! I have 3 engine blocks in my shop and the 2 that appear unmolested are painted and the one that I know has been to the machine shop has no paint. Apparently I ASSumed too much! My apologies for not looking on CRG first like I normally do before offering advice.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

I do appreciate all the replies. Should i leave it painted or remove the paint still open. I will do my research on crg. Thanks all for the help. As to the arms it appears all parts must be installed on each arm except for the ball joints. It is hard to believe the rubber bushings and the end caps are paint along with the bump stops again i will check with crg however the paint for the arms appear to be very limited.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old person View Post
I do appreciate all the replies. Should i leave it painted or remove the paint still open. I will do my research on crg. Thanks all for the help. As to the arms it appears all parts must be installed on each arm except for the ball joints. It is hard to believe the rubber bushings and the end caps are paint along with the bump stops again i will check with crg however the paint for the arms appear to be very limited.
Frank, think of the A-arm assembly consisting of the bare a-arm, dog bone, bushings, and bolted and torqued with the end washer and bolt. That was the assembly that was painted prior to shipment to the car assembly plant where ball joints and anything else was added. If you go to the CRG website there are many examples of survivors in the "original cars & details" section that might assist you. I have posted many pictures of these two survivors there.
Amazing 69 Z/28 Survivor
Details of a 68 RS Z/28

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
Our 68Z Restoration
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Thank Chick will check out the photos as i need all the help I can get. Will check CRG thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode