Cowl Panel Rattle - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Cowl Panel Rattle

I thought that I would throw this out there and see if anyone could lead me down the path of least resistance. It is my understanding that when a 1st Gen Camaro was constructed, a foam pad was placed somewhere where the cowl panel, dash and firewall meet. When my 69 was restored, I assume that was not done. While idling in traffic, I have enough vibration that it causes a rattle (really almost a buzzing noise) in that area. I was wondering if anybody knows quick fix for this without having to do any disassembly. I have tried tightening the cowl panel screws under the hood, but no help. I can hear it if I tap on the cowl panel below the windshield and it sounds like it is coming from beneath there. It's really annoying Thanks for any suggestions.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 06:37 PM
Team Member
Tim

Re: Cowl Panel Rattle

There are two triangular foam? pads that fit under the cowl presumably to eliminate the problem you are describing. Mine were stuck to the back of the panel and even though I had new ones we left the old ones in place. It may be you are missing these?

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Do you know of any easy way to stick something in there without a lot of disassembly? Since it's out of site, I just want to do something easy to get rid of the problem if that is possible. Assuming others in traffic might be hearing it, it is detracting from my badass stoplight presence.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The foam pads contain the airflow through the cowl plenum; they are not an anti-vibration part. The rear of the cowl panel is retained by the lower molding clips. Incorrect installation or faulty clips may be your problem. Removal of the cowl panel is not difficult.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:

Last edited by Sauron67MM; Mar 21st, 19 at 07:45 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Please help me understand about the cowl pads mentioned in the responses. I know there is a firewall pad that spans the width of the car. It covers the area from the steering wheel to the glove box. It is held on by clips. There is also some insulation inside the kick panels. I think the kick panels have foam around the doors to seal when closed. That is all that I am familiar with.

Where do the triangular pads go? What are they made of? Are you talking about the interior of the car or the engine bay? Maybe it is the cowl vent grill panel under the windshield wipers. Are you referring to the ductwork for the ac/heater vents or the kick panel vents?

Patrick
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
The foam pads contain the airflow through the cowl plenum; they are an anti-vibration part. The rear of the cowl panel is retained by the lower molding clips. Incorrect installation or faulty clips may be your problem. Removal of the cowl panel is not difficult.
This is correct the cowl is secured using 4 screws by the seal and the lower windshield molding clips. The foam duct seperators keep it cushioned enough that it wont vibrate
If u try using a mechanics stethoscope, while idling u can poke around to isolate where the vibration is coming from and take neccessary steps from there

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
This is correct the cowl is secured using 4 screws by the seal and the lower windshield molding clips. The foam duct seperators keep it cushioned enough that it wont vibrate
If u try using a mechanics stethoscope, while idling u can poke around to isolate where the vibration is coming from and take neccessary steps from there
I edited my post because I forgot to write "not". The foam pieces contain airflow and prevent air from escaping down around the saddlebags. They were not engineered to prevent vibration or panel flutter.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
Please help me understand about the cowl pads mentioned in the responses. I know there is a firewall pad that spans the width of the car. It covers the area from the steering wheel to the glove box. It is held on by clips. There is also some insulation inside the kick panels. I think the kick panels have foam around the doors to seal when closed. That is all that I am familiar with.

Where do the triangular pads go? What are they made of? Are you talking about the interior of the car or the engine bay? Maybe it is the cowl vent grill panel under the windshield wipers. Are you referring to the ductwork for the ac/heater vents or the kick panel vents?
Patrick, See Roger's pics post #5 here.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...nel-seals.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 08:22 AM
Senior Tech

OP

If your cowl foam is missing or just broken down where it is no longer functional and you would prefer not to remove the panel to replace it...you could loosen the front and slide some vacuum hose or some other form of rubber type insulation in from the front then tighten the screws to hold it in place.

I used some vac hose and melted one end closed and used a thin long screw driver inside it to push it in between two panels then pull the screwdriver out on another car I have to fix a rattle. In that case there was no stock foam used but the factory body panel adhesive had broken away so I just slid the vac hose in to bridge the gap which to this day still works fine.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Patrick, See Roger's pics post #5 here.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/34-re...nel-seals.html
Thank you sir. I now understand the triangle pieces are the foam ones that are glued to the bottom of the cowl panel vent grill. I pictured them somewhere inside the car and mine were missing.

Mr. Robin, you mentioned the sound was a buzzing noise. Many times a buzzing sound is caused by two pieces of hard plastic rubbing together. You will not see them moving. If you get lucky, when you hold one of the noise makers with your hand, the buzzing will go away. Metal against metal does not buzz, it rings. Metal against plastic will buzz if the plastic is the one vibrating.

Clean out your car. Remove all the junk in the glove box. Push on your center console, and plastic dash. The clear lens on the speedometer and indicators could be loose. Turn your heater on. See if the noise stops when the inside of the car gets hot. Change your camshaft to a milder grind so it does not lope at red lights. The last suggestion was just a stupid joke.

Patrick
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 09:30 AM
John

Garage

Do you have the rubber cowl panel to hood seal installed? The long piece at the front of the cowl panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F12F39DC-6612-4432-B55C-6DC48A202071.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	225795

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525SOLD at Mecum 2018
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I can hear it if I tap on the cowl panel below the windshield and it sounds like it is coming from beneath there.

So you are tapping on the cowl vent panel next to the stainless molding that is on the bottom of the windshield?

The stainless molding is held on by some clips. The clips are screwed down on the cowl panel. The clips have a spring loaded slot and the cowl vent panel slides into the spring loaded slot. The clips could be making noise.

This photo below shows the clips fastened to the stainless windshield molding. They are the pieces that have an oval shaped hole. A screw is supposed to go in the oval hole. The cowl vent panel slips under the stainless molding and over the spring loaded clip.

This photo shows the stainless molding upside down and the clips in place. The clips are loose in the molding. They could be rattling. Another possibility is the clip is not bolted down or the screw is loose.

Patrick
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Thanks Patrick. I'll give it a try. I'm pretty sure it's metal to metal. Maybe I should have described it as ringing. I'll check it out. Sorry that I haven't answered this thread sooner. I've been busy catching slab crappie. And Patrick, for your information, my car is always clean. :-) That was a joke, too....but it's true.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 19, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Yes. I have the cowl panel to hood sealer.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

Last edited by rhcdmd; Mar 24th, 19 at 12:07 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
I can hear it if I tap on the cowl panel below the windshield and it sounds like it is coming from beneath there.

So you are tapping on the cowl vent panel next to the stainless molding that is on the bottom of the windshield?

The stainless molding is held on by some clips. The clips are screwed down on the cowl panel. The clips have a spring loaded slot and the cowl vent panel slides into the spring loaded slot. The clips could be making noise.

This photo below shows the clips fastened to the stainless windshield molding. They are the pieces that have an oval shaped hole. A screw is supposed to go in the oval hole. The cowl vent panel slips under the stainless molding and over the spring loaded clip.

This photo shows the stainless molding upside down and the clips in place. The clips are loose in the molding. They could be rattling. Another possibility is the clip is not bolted down or the screw is loose.
Patrick, I will check all of this out. Thanks.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode