A Arm Covers - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

A Arm Covers

I have had these Rubber The Right Way covers for several months now and finally put them on. Waited until I did under hood and frame paint refresh. I used RTRW before on another car

For those who have done this I am sure you know the staple thing is a PIA and would be easier with 2 people....but is a doable job. Just drilling for push pins would have been WAY easier but I stuck with the staples since the inner fenders were already drilled

The kit also included the rubber for the inner fender well to frame masking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: A Arm Covers

Looks like you did a great job. You are right, the staples are a real problem. So much so I throw them away and used galvanized wire. The wire was much easier to bend. They are paint anyway and they turned out to look original.

Roger
DjD likes this.

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 01:01 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I used SS wire. I forget the diameter exactly but essentially the same as staples. I bent the SS wire into the holes to secure the covers. Came out great and it looks just like a staple.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 01:28 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Mine been hanging on the wall in the garage for 8 years and counting

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
I have had these Rubber The Right Way covers for several months now and finally put them on. Waited until I did under hood and frame paint refresh. I used RTRW before on another car

For those who have done this I am sure you know the staple thing is a PIA and would be easier with 2 people....but is a doable job. Just drilling for push pins would have been WAY easier but I stuck with the staples since the inner fenders were already drilled

The kit also included the rubber for the inner fender well to frame masking

Those are installed incorrectly. The shields go on the tire side and only the staple heads show in the engine bay. The staples get curled into the rubber using needle nose pliers. The center portion of the shields gets tucked into the A-arm hole. Your lower inner to frame shields are correct but the staples are backwards. I used to make my own shields from correct sheet from Restoration Supply but Repops makes a nice set. Not a difficult job doing it solo, just a little time consuming. I use deep throat, flat faced vice grips and just walk them along the staple holes.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Looks like you did a great job. You are right, the staples are a real problem. So much so I throw them away and used galvanized wire. The wire was much easier to bend. They are paint anyway and they turned out to look original.

Roger
Incorrect. The staples were not originally painted. I have dozens for reference, not to mention those at CRG of survivors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 07:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I learn something new nearly every time I log on to this site. I had no idea these were available let alone supposed to be on our cars. Something else to consider installing. Do they help much with a car that is never driven in the rain?

!967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duneit View Post
I learn something new nearly every time I log on to this site. I had no idea these were available let alone supposed to be on our cars. Something else to consider installing. Do they help much with a car that is never driven in the rain?
Yes. They help stop any debris. Sand, rocks, etc.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
Quote:
Yes. They help stop any debris. Sand, rocks, etc.
Is there a place you'd recommend purchasing from that are the best quality?

Thanks

!967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 04:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Thanks[/QUOTE]

OER is cut correctly, but the material is too thin. They flop around when driving resulting in tearing through the staples.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:

Thanks
As I stated, Repops makes a nice set. I got them at Ground Up. The originals have white string embedded in them. Some guys sand the material to expose the string but I have originals an there is no string visible. Others have degraded and the string is visible. I see no point in sanding them to expose the string.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:

Thanks
Suppliers like NPD, Ecklers, etc. likely have them.

I got mine from Rubber The Right Way.

They are a heavy rubber, not whatever rubber/cloth/cardboard type that may have been on originally. I am not a owner who cares about "original".
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Those are installed incorrectly. The shields go on the tire side and only the staple heads show in the engine bay.
ouch...the one side that was still partially on when I got the car was on the engine bay side. It would appear a PO put it on that way if originally they were on the tire side. Fortunately I have plenty of staples and can reverse these

The lower inner fender ones it was easier to put the staples in the way I did. I am not one who cares about "original" in terms of which way a staple faces.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: TAKE 2 A Arm Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Those are installed incorrectly. The shields go on the tire side and only the staple heads show in the engine bay. .
...yeah they wanted to be on tire side of wheel well. Thanks

Fortunately since I had just rehearsed this....it went way faster on the flip than initial install

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 06:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
OER is cut correctly, but the material is too thin. They flop around when driving resulting in tearing through the staples.
I bought a set of these from OER and installed them on my inner fenders before the inner fenders were installed on the car. I didn't know at the time that there was better, more correct pieces out there. Like Keith said, the OER pieces are very thin rubber with no reinforcing strings. I didn't even have to drive my car to vibrate them loose. They started to disintegrate around the staples and fall off the car in pieces without the car ever been driven 10 feet. I bought another set from Metro and they were the heavy, string reinforced rubber.

To make the change, removing the approximately 30 staples without damaging the surrounding paint was not fun. Installing the new pieces with the inner fenders in the car was alot harder than when they are out of the car. It's not a job want to do twice if you don't have to.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode