Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shannon4570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Taillight Assemblies

I posted this question in my build log but didn't get any responses so I thought I would try a stand alone question. This is probably going to seem pretty remedial but I need some help with how the tail light assemblies go back together. Is this correct:

Lens fits in housing, housing sandwiches foam gasket between lens and inner tail light panel? I am asking because when I mock it up it seems like the foam gasket will be visible from outside the car? Perhaps once all the fasteners are tightened up it closes it up. I also don't understand why the taillight lenses have a nice hard rubber seal which apparently only sits against the foam gasket - seems redundant. These are all repop pieces as part of my RS conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0577.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	226985  

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 10:20 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Taillight Assemblies

If I remember right you take the housing, then insert the RS lens, then weatherstripping, then you just push as a unit the whole works against trunk body wall and bolt it on tight. The weatherstripping should seal against body. The foam over a period of time will dry rot but the rubber still holds for a while.

Edit: I just found this conversion to LEDs at superchevy so guess I'm right.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...-a-1969-camaro

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Re: Taillight Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
If I remember right you take the housing, then insert the RS lens, then weatherstripping, then you just push as a unit the whole works against trunk body wall and bolt it on tight. The weatherstripping should seal against body. The foam over a period of time will dry rot but the rubber still holds for a while.

Edit: I just found this conversion to LEDs at superchevy so guess I'm right.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...-a-1969-camaro

Brian
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I figured it was the way they went but can't hurt to double check.
69-Pace likes this.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 08:13 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Taillight Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4570 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I figured it was the way they went but can't hurt to double check.
Always better safe than sorry.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

In the Super Chevy article, I noticed they did not include the foam, only the rubber seal? Is the foam redundant or not even needed if the rubber gaskets are used?

Matt

1969 Nova
1969 Camaro
1973 Camaro

Follow my '69 Build:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I found the foam gasket did not seal completely, try to find a pair of original rubber ones.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode