Repop bumpers? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Repop bumpers?

Dug out the rear bumper tonight. I knew it had issues and i am looking at a straightening and a chrome plate. The repops are too cheap. are they any good? Good ones? Bad ones? All the same? If i didnt have to straighten it i would most likely just spring for a replate. I am gonna try to straighten it though.
Back story on the bend... in my errant youth playing politics i let my then girlfriend drive the car. She was fine in most scenarios except hill starts. Drifted back into a 67 Goat...... I installed a line lock so she could have a drift free driving experience.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 07:27 PM
John

Garage
Re: Repop bumpers?

If used the repops many times with no real problems. Even on my Protour cars I sold for over $100k

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Any specific vendor?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 08:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I used OER from classic industries. Fit was good.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:30 AM
Apprentice
Epoxy

Yes it also works good for me.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I have had real mixed experience with OER stuff. I wont knowingly order anything with their name on it from any outfit without a summit style return policy. OER is my stop of last resort.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

NPD or Ground Up are fine and one is 10 years old and still looks new.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

I had to bend my reproduction rear bumper to get it straight. The chrome finish in nowhere near as pretty as my re-chromed front bumper. The rear one looks ok now.

My rear bumper was sold by Dynacorn. It was for a 1969 Firebird. I might be comparing apples to oranges since your car is a Camaro.

You are not the only one who had bad experiences with OER products. I am another victim.

Patrick
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

OER can be hit or miss. My bumpers are fine though.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 09:21 AM
Team Member
Tim

It's interesting to read the comments about OER and I agree with all of them. Since I have been collecting parts for the last six months I have ordered heavily from Classic Industries and Summit. I am on the west coast and these two typically have the best shipping rates and selection (Summit's is $0 if over $99) so I have sort of defaulted to them.

Because of this I have received many OER branded parts and found them to be all over the board on fit, finish and quality. The chrome on my rear bumper is marginal but the dash pad is perfect. Small parts tend to be pretty decent but my front window regulators needed to be tweaked to fit correctly while the quarter regulators were right on the money.

I am not sure how to avoid this situation other than to participate in forums of this kind and be as selective as possible.

1969 Camaro - a gift from the brother-in-law build thread
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

I got a rear one for a 67 and noticed that the metal was thinner and the cross section was also thinner as the factory bumper guards didn't fit the curve.

I think you get what you pay for though.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 19, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

I bought a repop rear for my 69 from NPD like 20 years ago. Its still on there and looks good to me. I would like to think they are making them better now then they did 20 years ago....

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 12:43 PM
Tech Team

Those repo bumpers are just ok. They weigh about 5lbs less then a stock piece and the chrome is never as good as a rechromed original
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 19, 07:17 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

I have some, said made in Taiwan on the box. I also have two factory bumpers I put on in 1982. The Chinese bumpers fit just as well as the factory ones but the chrome job is a little wavy. I would have rechromed the factory set but I could buy four set of the others for the price.

1968 Z-28 Black stripes on white, 350, M22, 12bolt. WIP since August 1979
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I got a bumper. Its a OER Premiere 153185B. The chrome is very good. The fit seems real good. I think that when you consider that fitting a repop bumper up against a repop fitted out body carries a little risk the fit i have might be outstanding. Out of 8 body holes 1 bolt misses by a 16th and I need an 8th inch shim at 1 location so i think im pretty well off. This bumper isnt for the restorer, at least not one doing an early 67, since the center mount is permanently attached. That is not original to my car. I wound up with this bumper after asking the same question i did at the beginning of this post to MCB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode