7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Ceramic paint protection

Anyone have any comments/thoughts/experience with the ceramic paint protection ? I mean is it worth it to have it done ??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 04:17 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Ceramic paint protection

I just used F-11 on my daily driver... pretty impressed.

BUT, now I'm hearing it has less than 1% ceramic

Now I'm finding there is a product made by Torque that is supposed to be better. I have no idea except reviews.

[[][/[]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beforef-11.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	544.1 KB
ID:	228953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Afterf-11.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	228955  

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 04:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Anyone have any comments/thoughts/experience with the ceramic paint protection ? I mean is it worth it to have it done ??
I have been close to pulling the trigger so I been on the autogeek forum looking for the same advice and help. Here is what I got so far:

If it is a daily driver, you want to select a more expensive durable coating that claims 2 years.
If it is a weekend warrior/showcar, look for something more along the lines as a 6 month coating because you will be polishing out defects most likely more often than a dd.
I personally would do mine myself. That way you have control over the whole situation. Once you apply, you are locking in scratches, marring and swirls so you really need a flawless finish.
There are good maintainer products as F-11 and Torque has a good rep too as a quick detailer, but there are some great product lines out there that I am just getting experience with. Wolfgang has a SI02 car wash that has been pulling rave reviews.
Gyeon syncro is one of the diy kits that I was going to buy for my DD claiming 2 years protection. 3 step process using micro suede to apply in a crisscross pattern to a small area and buff after it flashes. 2nd coat same way. 3rd is a spray on wipe off. Need lots of clean new microfibers!
Gyeon cancoat is the 6 month version that is spray on wipe off. Was told to spray only on the rag in a garage with no circulating air. If it gets misted on the car, windows, etc will dry rock hard and be very difficult to remove.

I just did a paint correction on my Camaro for a big show here in NJ. Wanted to try what came recommended as conventional waxes 1st. This is what I currently did and the car has never looked better - not sure whether to go to ceramic or not at this point........will try on my dd 1st.

Washed with Optimum No Rinse(ONR)

Clay bared with Pinnacle bar using ONR diluted to clay lube strength. Using the ONR as a clay lube left no residue on the car.

Paint only had light marring and webbing so I slipped compound and went to polish. Used Menzerna 3500, green foam pad and my PC d/a buffer.

Did a wipe down with a wax and oil remover to remove oils left over from polishing.

This is the point of starting your true ceramic coatings or continuing going tradional wax route.

I went traditional using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Applied one coat to the entire car using my d/a. Made sure to wait atleast 45 minutes and then buffed off. Easy on easy off. And looked like nothing I have ever seen before. So glossy and deep. You have to let this cure for 12 hours. Next day I applied a 2nd coat and all I can say is WOW! Looked like it had a layer of clear on top!
Also used Wolfgang Concours Metal Sealant on my billet wheels, stainless trim, billet door handles and billet tail lights which is also like adding a layer of clear. So smooth brake dust does not stick to the wheels.
From there I did a final wipedown with Pinnacle Crystal Mist that also came recommended. The results speak for itself!
Sorry so long winded, but it is a lot of work to get your ride looking good!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
DOUG G, 69Z28 and Niblet like this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Thanks guys! The before and after pics make the truck look great! The paint on that Camaro looks sweet!! Thanks again for the info.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 05:51 AM
Team Member
Tim

Nice job Pittpens24,,,I'm scared to use an orbital or DA on my car,,how can I learn this technique?

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 06:08 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I would be too scared to drive that Greg.
I have so many nicks and chips after 8-9 years of street/strip. I have now come to terms with it, but that first one almost put me over the edge....and YOURS looks WAY better
pittpens24 likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Having owned a detail shop, most o the products out there have little ingredients as advertised. I had my wax made locally by a detail supplier, 30% carnuba. All the cleaning was done with a Dawn in hot water, engine, carpet, seats wheels and everything else with a pressure washer and wash mit. Mink oil treatment on the seats. Now I use Mequires products, Glaze only on my 6 69 cars, one painted in 84 looks amazing. My Black 69 was painted in 11 and has won many best of shows, never been washed or waxed or any other products except the glaze every few years. If the car has a great $10K paint job, it needs little attention. I use 100% cotton t shirts on my dark show cars. Micro rags have different qualities, man made product with some pollester(plastic) in it. Shows under a blue light. My daily driver get washed . . . .I only keep them for 2 or 3 years so they don't even get waxed, just Mequires detailer.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 07:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niblet View Post
Nice job Pittpens24,,,I'm scared to use an orbital or DA on my car,,how can I learn this technique?
Thanks.

I am a newbie myself at detailing. You need to invest a little money on a decent polisher. My porter cable is good entry mid level polisher, but pads are just as important if not more! Different pads for different processes
YouTube for technique.
Practice on the wife's car. You learn technique and get brownie points at the same time - yer welcone lol.
Try your dd and by the time you get to the Camaro, yer good.
Big thing is to put marks on the da backing plate or pad so you can tell when it is spinning or not. It should just vibrate when you hit a body line so it doesn't remove material.
The guys over at the autogeek forum are awesome!

572 BB - CM Engines
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 08:08 AM
Team Member
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
Thanks.

I am a newbie myself at detailing. You need to invest a little money on a decent polisher. My porter cable is good entry mid level polisher, but pads are just as important if not more! Different pads for different processes
YouTube for technique.
Practice on the wife's car. You learn technique and get brownie points at the same time - yer welcone lol.
Try your dd and by the time you get to the Camaro, yer good.
Big thing is to put marks on the da backing plate or pad so you can tell when it is spinning or not. It should just vibrate when you hit a body line so it doesn't remove material.
The guys over at the autogeek forum are awesome!

hey thaks,,what model Porter cable is that?

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 08:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by niblet View Post
hey thaks,,what model porter cable is that?
pc 7424xp
Niblet likes this.

572 BB - CM Engines
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I use a Dewalt buffer and it has held up well for 20 years. Used it today to buff out the 69 C-10 I painted on Friday.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

A great buffer for a novice in the Cyclo, US made and been a choice of detailers since the 50's. Its a duel 4" pad buffer and has a lot of add ons. I use it to remove the glaze on my show cars and dark paint cars. And don't use those polyester micro cloths that can leave minute scratches seen with a blue light that takes away some of the shine. A top notch paint job will last a long time without a lot of care. . . . unless subjected to the elements.
Niblet likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 04:33 AM
Team Member
Tim

Like this one here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-04 04_32_26-Start.png
Views:	34
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	228995  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 04:39 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

That's the one. . .I even used it to trainee new employees how to buff. I think the jury is still out on ceramic coatings. The 1 year old used 18' XTS that I bought claimed to have it done. Can't tell the difference next to a 19', or for that matter next to my 13' XTS before I sold it.
Niblet likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 04:12 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I use a Porter-Cable 7424XP because it’s dummy proof and I need that feature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode