Team Camaro Tech banner

Passenger door side view mirror installation ???

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  69Z28 
#1 · (Edited)
Passenger door mirror installation ???

I am planning on getting new side view mirrors for my '68 including one for the passenger side which it never had before. I've been doing some reading on the forums about installing a mirror on the passenger side where there never was one.

One thing that I have seen come up several times is guys talking about fabricating and installing a reinforcing plate for the two passenger side mirror mounting screws like the one the factory put on the driver's side.

I had new door skins put on both doors and while the doors where apart, I saw no evidence of any kind of factory installed reinforcing plate on the driver's side. The two driver's side mirror mounting screws passed through two oversized holes in the door skin and then secured to the inner door structure in back of the door skin. There's nothing else there. No reinforcing plate attached to either the door skin or either side of the door inner structure in that area. The driver's side and passenger side are identical.

So my question is......was my driver's side door possibly missing this reinforcing plate?......If so, does anyone have a pic of what it looks like and how it is mounted?

I've attached pics of the mirror mounting areas on both my driver's and passenger side doors with the door skins off.

Thanks.......Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no idea what's going on with my posted pictures. I'm having the same problem with a post I made over on CRG. I can see the pictures when I pull up the post but no one else can see them.

These pictures are hosted right here at Team Camaro. I've posted many pictures to TC and CRG that are hosted here at TC and never had a problem until this past week.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...….Dave

#4 ·
Interestingly, I just pulled up both this site and CRG on my phone. I've never done that before. All my viewing and posting on these sites is done on my laptop. On both of my posts where no one else can see my pictures, the pictures are showing up on my phone.

Dave

#6 ·
Sure enough, that was it !!!

I looked at my TC photo albums and somewhere along the line along the I must have accidentally clicked a tab to make the album private.

I switched it back to public and hopefully the pictures will show now.

Thanks so much......Dave

#11 ·
I have made my pictures public and when I log out of the site and check my post as a non-member, the pictures are there!....so I have no idea why they are still not visible to anyone else.

What prompted me to post this question in the first place was that there are many threads here mentioning a factory reinforcing plate at the driver's side mirror mounting location and the possible necessity to fabricate a similar plate for the passenger side if you were going to install a passenger mirror. Check out this one out for example...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/12-body-shop/211031-passenger-side-mirror-attachment.html

My car, as far as I can see, I never had any kind of factory reinforcing plate on the driver's side. I'd be more than happy to install my passenger side mirror without a reinforcing plate. I just want to be sure that's the way to go first.

I am going to attach the pictures here one more time and if they don't show....I'm stumped!

Dave

#15 ·
I just got my 68 convt out of the paint shop and had them replace the old mirrors with new ones. My car had both mirrors on it when I bought it years ago. I have never been able to adjust the passenger mirror in order to see the back of my car correctly. The outside of the mirror won't come in toward the car enough to be able to see the side of my car. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow and post them, but I'm pretty sure there is a retaining plate on the driver's side but not the passenger side.

#17 ·
I installed a ps mirror on my ride. Not going to have a car with out it. Works just fine and clears the vent window. Never drops if the screw is tightened tight behind the glass. Remove glass to find this. Think I soaked it in lacquer thinner to get the glass off and then re glued with a silicone. Used the gasket for the template and went for it. It's tight with no backing added.

#20 ·
I tried to put a passenger side mirror on my 67 but bailed on the project when I realized the mirror needed to be mounted at the front of the door just to be usable. Had someone hold it in place while I sat in the drivers seat to find the right mirror position, had to look through the passenger vent window just to see what would be the right lane.

#21 ·
One of the first things I did to my 68 was to buy and install the right side mirror.
First, if you go re-pop, get the American made one. Much netter quality and stays adjusted.
I too looked for installation in the AIM and didn't find it. I took measurements from the left side and went with that.
I removed the left side door interior panel and didn't find any reinforcement bracket, so I used the supplied sheet metal screws that came with the new mirror.
True you cant get the mirror adjusted to see an entire lane on the right so I got one of those small adjustable fish eye stick on's.
Works great and has been on my car for ten years.

#22 ·
I also have a '68 and essentially did what Ray did above. I got mine from Classic Industries and it works just fine. I was extremely careful about the measurements prior to drilling holes into my door, as I was a bit nervous about screwing something up. However, it looks and works just fine. You can do it.

Reactions: rgwiz
#23 ·
The Corvette parts house, Paragon, has great reproduction mirrors. I have bought from them to replace the incorrect mirrors installed on my 69, and they can be date coded by them as well, which I had done. I think the passenger mirror is coded within the next month installed by the dealer. I'd recommend them to anyone needing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.