Team Camaro Tech banner

Door Glass Doesn't Match Body Angles

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  The Camaro Guy 
#1 ·
My question is, have any of you noticed this on your cars or do I have a real issue here.

I have a 69 hardtop that the door glass (both driver and passenger sides) do not parallel the roof and pillar post. If I align with roof there is a bad misalignment with pillar post and visa versa and window will not go all the way up (bottom edge tight against pillar post and gap at top edge near roof, top of glass that parallels roof not touching weatherstrip). I had to adjust glass to be off on both lines for it to roll up high enough to touch weather stripping.

I am no body guy but do not see evidence on the rear of roof of any body work, the front at top of pillar posts does not look good, poor lines but I have noticed that on many camaros at car shows. Guy's at shows also said that is typical as back in the day these alignments were not precise? I have no idea if the glass is original either.

Dave

#2 ·
My original glass lines up fine, no issues. I am on my way to a local show and I will look and ask if I see any other 69's at the show. With the windows rolled up you should be able to see in the bottom rear corner the markings on the glass to determine if they are original or not. camaro.org has section on how to read the factory codes. My first guess is that the glass is after market.

#4 ·
Well I was really thinking aftermarket glass was the issue. I'm not really sure what the issue is. Im not sure if there is any "wiggle room" on the chrome weatherstrip rail that screws to the roof rail. Can you remove the weatherstrip and roll the window up to check a few measurments? Maybe you can adjust the roof weatherstrip rail?? I hope others will chime in with their experiences. BTW, how does the quarter glass look? Do they close ok?

#6 ·
Moving the weatherstrip channel may help fix your problem.

#8 ·
No, do not know if roof was ever replaced but if this is not common, which it sounds like it is not, I'm thinking it may have been.

Been a long time since I messed with this but believe I tried adjusting rail and got it as best I could.

Door alignment has no bearing for this issue, it is the roof/pillar post angle vs the glass angle.

I will see if I can add a decent picture of angles and top of pillar post.

#11 ·
My ‘69 has same issue only on the passenger side. My roof has not been replaced nor has the door been replaced. I’ve owned the car since 1985 and knew the history before I bought it. I’m very interested to find out what people have to say. I was gonna tackle this issue this winter. My problem occurred after the last time I had the car repainted. But the doors weren’t removed. But I can’t say for sure that they weren’t adjusted for front and aft gaps.

#12 ·
It might just be the doors being moved forward or backwards to fix gaps is the problem. Sometimes you have to rob Paul to pay Peter. Everything that you move , changes something else. Move door glass, it effects weatherstrip, and quarter glass. It is a real pain in the glass to adjust them in my opinion.

#13 ·
I currently have 3 69's, all original, one I have had or 41 years. All the windows align properly and no water leaks. Window alignment is a PIA for sure as I have done plenty for customers. There is a lot of adjustment for which ever is necessary. There is a good you tube that will detail window alignment. I have used after market glass with no issues as well. Keep working at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.