Rear Windo Molding clip? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoCal805

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rear Windo Molding clip?

My lower 2 rear window molding pieces have always been lose so I pulled them off to see there is only 3 clips on one side and none on the other. All posts for the clips are there. Side & top molding is on fine

In looking at clips this one looks closest to the one on the car now

https://www.npdlink.com/product/fast...ng/179882/1220

Any comments on this brand of clips or tips & tricks, beyond just sliding the clip on the posts (silicone?)?

I see how the clip would engage the inside of the outer turned under edge of the molding

It would appear when the body shop installed the glass, for P.O., after paint they ran out of clips as the ones that are there (3) look original. There are 12 posts to mount the clips

Fortunately there appears to be no bondo and the stock studs into the rear cross panel are all solid

these clips look like what is on the car now

https://www.rickscamaros.com/window-molding-clip.html

but NPD is close to me that has the AMK re-pops

Last edited by SoCal805; Nov 3rd, 19 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 19, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Either will work. The Rick's look closer to original to me. They slide over the studs. If you don't have the studs, some use screws. I as well as most prefer the studs.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Rear Windo Molding clip?

I don't know if it will help or not, but I did a ton of research on what the correct clips were for my 69 quite a while back. Here is the post with some pics over on CRG: 69 Vinyl Top Windshield Trim Molding Reveal Retainer Clips

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Either will work. The Rick's look closer to original to me. They slide over the studs. If you don't have the studs, some use screws. I as well as most prefer the studs.
Thanks Keith, yeah the Rick's one look closer to the originals. I don't care about if either are "correct", not my thing. Just if anyone has used either and if one works better than the other.

All the posts are there. It appears whoever put the trim on did put them on each stud for the top piece but as they progressed to sides they just used the lower one (of 2) and then only 4 on the bottom where there are 12 posts

I know the top body panel above trunk is very prone to rust from water that runs off rear window but fortunately this car appears to have had a "garaged" life as that body panel is solid. It has lived its life first in CA & then AZ which is where I got the car. Even looking at it from inside the trunk it has the original splatter paint and there is no sign of rust at the panel seams or anywhere on it so all studs are solid. There is some residue from the cut & buff compound in the channel around window but otherwise the channel is in excellent shape. Going to take a pic for the "car file" showing its condition as otherwise it will be covered with the trim.

I will grab a bag of clips today at NPD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

AMK makes quality stuff. I'm Shure either will work.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
AMK makes quality stuff. I'm Shure either will work.
[U][/U]

made in USA...they were plug & play. Now the molding is on tight
HawkX66 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 04:21 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
[U][/U]

made in USA...they were plug & play. Now the molding is on tight
SWEET

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 19, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Download a catalogue from Auveco or W&E. I obtain all my quality clips through local suppliers.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode