LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 09:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Garage
Re: Windshield Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Are you trying to get Pilkington also from them?
The shop did not get back to me. Were you able to source the Pilkington glass through them? If so, I'll just drive over - Thanks

1968 Standard Coupe, LS1, T56
2007 Tahoe, Z71, Cold Air & Tune
2001 Silverado, Z71, TSP Cam, Cold Air & Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

They got the Pilkington but it was scratched so they got the other one (of 2) from the distributor but it was scratched also. Seth would not install either one so they went through another of their distributors. They called yesterday to say the glass came in and I am scheduled for Tuesday. It is PGW which I am fine with

Both Pilkington & PGW are available on ebay if you are buying it but shipping from Ohio is $100. Mine is a insurance deal, Grundy, so they stand behind whatever I want and are paying for everything. $0 deductible.

Seth does not want to use the cheep China glass nor do I. He said it is slightly undersized so the adhesive bead is small and it's just....cheap glass

The chip I got is right under the wiper so I really don't see it so the delay has been no big deal. Glad the shop did what they had to do to get the right glass
really_n0b0dy likes this.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Update:

Shop installed a PGW windshield. Fit & finish was excellent.

I was able to see the car without the windshield and was pleased with the condition of the body under it and cowl panel. Areas of the car I had never seen. Those areas are common to rust but fortunately everything was in excellent condition. Both front & rear glass was previously removed by PO to paint the car

Initially the installer was going to wire wheel the original trim clips and bend the small tab back but some clips were missing so he had to use some aftermarket clips I provided but after test fit of trim some of the original clips were loser than the re-pops. He was able to get new original clips and replace all of them and the trim is much better aligned to the body than it was when I brought the car in

I am very pleased with Safelite and Seth the lead installer at the Camarillo location. My insurance covered the entire cost
really_n0b0dy likes this.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 11:15 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Can't resist jumping into this thread since I recently started a thread on doing glass restoration vs using repro. Today I had a 68 side window & back window with several deep scratches resurfaced by a guy in Camarillo, coincidentally. Came out perfect for $150 a piece. More detail on that thread:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/12-bo...ration-vs.html

I started my investigation because I wanted to preserve the Astro Ventilation logo on the side window. I saw on this forum that ECS can do the Astro ventilation logo in ceramic, not a decal. I called and talked to them about it and asked the guy about the quality of the glass. The guy told me that all glass comes from "overseas" today and Pilkington gets it from the same sources as the other dealers. He admitted that the tinted glass usually has some mottling or blotchyness.

For the same $ as repro glass I have perfect original glass.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

If you have original glass that has some scratch than a restoration place like the one bobgonefishin notes is a good option.

In my case the windshield was chipped/cracked so replacement was the only resolution. My car has a mixed bag of glass and the previous chipped windshield was not original and was a no name replacement

True all glass replacement now is not made in USA. Some from Mexico and most from China. PPG & Pilkington at least have the logo on the glass. "Supposedly" the PPG glass made is still the original formula

If all your glass is original or original replacement (LUF?) and is repairable by a restoration place, great.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 08:57 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I should note that I plan to replace the windshield. The tint strip across the top has faded to an unsightly bronze as some others have experienced. As someone said in a previous post, a windshield can be considered a wear item and should be replaced if in bad shape.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

is the top of a factory tinted windshield dark Green or blue/green. I need to replace mine and they look more blue then green

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode