Windshield Replacement? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dhutton
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 9th, 19, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Windshield Replacement?

I got a fair size chip driving home from cruise night. I have Grundy so windshield is covered but I have yet to contact them

?, should I get a bag of trim clips before I get it replaced?

IDK if I am missing any currently or some may be damaged in the process of replacing windshield

My guess is whoever Grundy uses may not have them, if needed, at the time of the swap.

Its a tinted re-pop windshield in the car now. It was factory equipped with front tinted windshield

Is there any particular brand/company of windshield I should insist on?

Any comments appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 9th, 19, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have had good results with Pilkinton. Used quite a few. The clips shouldn't break, but who knows what will happen.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 9th, 19, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Windshield Replacement?

Mine is tinted Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW). No complaints. My installer specializes in
classic cars and had the clips as needed. I would believe you can use any glass shop
you want. Not dictated by Grundy. I've had 3 I can recall (non classic) windshields replaced
over the years and always used a shop of my choosing.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 9th, 19, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Strongly recommend making sure whoever does the job under insurance plans to do the installation correctly, using urethane rather than butyl tape.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 10th, 19, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Whats wrong with butyl tape? I have used it on at least 20+ cars I have restored with no issues. The one I did not the trim did not it well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 10th, 19, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
Whats wrong with butyl tape? I have used it on at least 20+ cars I have restored with no issues. The one I did not the trim did not it well.
Butle will work, but does not meet FMVSS standards, and shops can't use it due to liability issues. Butyl does not provide the retention or structural rigidity of urethane. The factory never used butyl, they used pumpable Thiokol until urethane was introduced. I've never had a molding fit problem when urethane was used.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 10th, 19, 07:02 AM
Team Member
Don

I have seen a lot of windshields installed with urethane that were a mess. Not saying it canít be done well but if the installer doesnít know what he is doing itís too late once itís installed....

I get the whole safety thing but these cars are hardly safe by todayís standards regardless of the windshield installation...

Don
69Z28 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 10th, 19, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The chip "may" be repairable. Its about a dime size overall. The windshield otherwise is in very good condition as it has been replaced before.

Chip repairs I have seen before though are not 100% invisible so I am inclined to just have the windshield replaced.

I will ask the body shop who has done a few cars for me who they recommend for glass shop. I see adhesive tape was used vs urethane adhesive on the car now

I don't know if all the clips were used when the PO had the windshield installed but if it is like the rear, several were missing so I will confirm with whoever does it has the appropriate clips for the moldings should I need some

Appreciate the tips on PGW and Pilkinton brands

The windshield I have now is clear with blue tint stripe on top. Given the rest of the car glass is clear I doubt I would get the tinted and blue stripe versions

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 13th, 19, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
The chip "may" be repairable. Its about a dime size overall. The windshield otherwise is in very good condition as it has been replaced before.

Chip repairs I have seen before though are not 100% invisible so I am inclined to just have the windshield replaced.

I will ask the body shop who has done a few cars for me who they recommend for glass shop. I see adhesive tape was used vs urethane adhesive on the car now

I don't know if all the clips were used when the PO had the windshield installed but if it is like the rear, several were missing so I will confirm with whoever does it has the appropriate clips for the moldings should I need some

Appreciate the tips on PGW and Pilkinton brands

The windshield I have now is clear with blue tint stripe on top. Given the rest of the car glass is clear I doubt I would get the tinted and blue stripe versions

I had a chip like yours and Hagerty did not even question replacement. I use a glass shop with a tech that specializes in classic cars. Urethane is used and the results are not a mess. If you have a tinted top band, you will be covered for it. I get my clips locally from W&E or Auveco.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Nov 13th, 19, 08:01 AM
Team Member
Don

It took me months of searching and countless dead ends to find an installer willing and ABLE to do classic cars, especially the rubber gasketed style. They are a disappearing breed in this part of the country.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in