Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Opinion-vinyl top, yes or no?

Put the vinyl back. I'm putting the one back on my 76 B.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 07:11 PM
Apprentice
Troy

I just finished putting a black vinyl top on my blue 68 rs /ss today. That's pretty well wraps up a 14 year build.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

In my opinion the 69 had a vinyl top that was unique and unlike any other. I recall reading an advertisement that said the top appeared to float over the top of the car hence the nickname name, Halo vinyl top. I have had guy's tell me that at first glance my 69 appeared to take on somewhat of a convertible look because of the unique styling of the trim around the vinyl. Either way it comes down to personal opinion. I happen to like them with or without the vinyl top however my vote is if it originally had one then put it back on...especially if it's a 69.
yellow69RS likes this.

1969 Camaro RS, 327ci, TH350 Automatic, Richmond 3:55 12 Bolt Posi, Norwood 11C build date. Recipient of December 2017 Team Camaro ROTM.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 05:49 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

I really like the black on silver especially if you have black stripes. The vinyl top adds a lot of class and individual choice.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

The vinyl top adds a bit of elegance and looks good on certain colors, my orange has a blk top along with 24 options, but I did not put it back on my black car, my vert is Lemans with white and matching stripes, the dusk car had a white top and I let it off. . . . do what you like blk in Cortez looks good.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes -- As suggested and agreed upon, black top goes with any color and looks nice.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the kind replies. As soon as I get out probationary state and get member status I will start posting pictures of my progress on this car. I figured if I did that I would put a bigger effort in getting the car ready for paint. The car has been through a lot in the last 42 years but mostly sitting for the last 20. I will call the post "Sideways at 70". Thanks, Brent.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Brent, If you're not a paying member you will need to use a 3rd party photo hosting site.
I use Flickr but there are many to choose from. Hope to see some pics soon. Good luck
with the project.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Mine. Black tie with a top hat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969Z28Camaro.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	231185  

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

My car was originally Corvette bronze with a white Vinyl top. I never really care for the color or the top. When I restored it I wanted Lemans blue and I really considered putting a Black vinyl top on it. I think a 69 Cortez Silver car looks better with the vinyl top. JMO.

Go big, or stay Home!
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 08:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Cortez Silver with black VT, black hockey stick stripes and N66 wheels will look absolutely killer.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:23 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Definitely was a styling strategy to give a convertible top appearance. Unfortunately they created rusting problems for the sheetmetal-Especially on the rear window regions. They do give a stylish look though. We used to refer to them as "tar-paper tops"!
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Here,s my two cents. I dont like vynil tops for one reason and one reason only. I do like the looks of them but every one i have ever seen holds moisture somewhere and that rots out the roof. Always around the windshield or the back window . Then there are the aftermarket installed ones wherever they rivited to put on moulding they rot . This is my finding so its an all paint car for me . This of course is my own personal preferance and i am not basking vynil tops but the reason i made is a valid one for the north east where i live . If we were in nevada california oklahoma or other places where there is no salt on the roads or near the sea coast that may not be a valid reason. Alex
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27 View Post
Here,s my two cents. I dont like vynil tops for one reason and one reason only. I do like the looks of them but every one i have ever seen holds moisture somewhere and that rots out the roof. Always around the windshield or the back window . Then there are the aftermarket installed ones wherever they rivited to put on moulding they rot . This is my finding so its an all paint car for me . This of course is my own personal preferance and i am not basking vynil tops but the reason i made is a valid one for the north east where i live . If we were in nevada california oklahoma or other places where there is no salt on the roads or near the sea coast that may not be a valid reason. Alex
I don't think many plan on parking their 1st gens outside all year let alone drive it in salt. You're absolutely right for a car that was driven year round or parked outside. My 69 was sold in Lowell, MA. Right in the salt belt of Rt 3 and Rt 495. It then sat under pine trees for a few years. The only real issue was the rotted out window channel under the rear window. It spent it's life in New England until I moved.
So what I'm saying is that the arguments of rot don't really apply any longer for most of us.
My 69 SS will go back to HO with a vinyl top. I love the looks of it. The 69 Z is Cortez Silver with a vinyl top. Some cars look great with vinyl, some not so much. I love our two with.

IMG_20150623_213718 by Dave H, on Flickr

3508 by Dave H, on Flickr
68Tiger likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 05:08 PM
Tech Team

As a general rule I'm not a fan of vinyl tops but on a few color, especially Cortez Silver, I would put one on without a doubt. We had a silver '69 with a black top and loved it's looks. Then someone else I know with a '69 wanted to paint theirs like ours but he didn't put the black top on it. By far the black top looked way better, it really made the looks of the car with black stripes. I can't attach pictures any more but trust me you should put the top on. Wish I could show you the picture of ours. You can PM for a picture if you would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode