1969 Camaro AMD quarter panels - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By X-77 keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

1969 Camaro AMD quarter panels

I put new AMD quarter's on my Camaro and was out in the shop all day fixing the window channels. I had to cut and weld around the top outside of the rear window chanel so the window trim would fit. I also had to fill the area by the bottom off the window channel where it meets the top of the trunk lid. A large divot from the die leaves a 1/8 low spot. The left quarter top where it meets the top of door wouldn't line up with the top of the door so now I need to cut and weld the door gap at the top of the door quarter to gap the rear top of door. Also the trunk gaps are not straight and will have to be cut and spliced to gap the trunk lid to gap them. The right panel seem to fit better than the left panel.
The quarter panels have crisp stamps otherwise I just wish the ones I recieved fit better. I purchased a right door AMD skin and it was heavy, crisp stamps and seem to fit really nice. It didn't have the top inner structure that holds window guides so I had to cut spot welds out of the old door skin and weld it in.
Ok, my point on all this. If I had to do this all over again I'd probably leave the original quarters on the car, buy the quarter skins and a a tig welder and cut and splice out the rusted parts. If your thinking of putting full quarters on you car, test fit the window channel trim before you start your paint work. I saw a car for sale that had a 1/4 gap at the top of the window channel that had the same problem I have but didn't find out about it till after it was painted.
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 07:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Wow. I used Dynacorn and didn't have half the problems you did. Always test fit your window trim. That is good advice fire sure.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: 1969 Camaro AMD quarter panels

I've hung GM quarters and have had to fit and tweek, best rule of thumb is always always test fit everything before finish or paintwork!

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech
Travis

Same deal with mine and completely agree....if at all possible use new sheet metal for patch patch panels. I went so far as to call AMD and see how they deal with it and they acted like they had never seen the problems.
Doing a 68 chevelle now but the dynacom panels were bought 10-15 years ago and they fit very well. No major work needed but I bet new panels now that the stamps are well worn have issues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Everyone has been giving AMD these great reviews and putting them up on a pedestal. Truth is that they are the same as all the others. You also have to keep in mind that every car is a little different. These cars twist and bend. Nothing I have gotten from AMD for my 69 has been easy to install. People use to talk about the "X" in the part number. I don't think that even factors in anymore. Just know what you are buying is not original , and expect to have to work to make it fit to your expectations. These cars had inconsistent gaps to begin with , and many want better than original. That will make more work for you too.
travisch likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

The Sheetmetal is made in Taiwan by 2 or 3 companies under many brands and the quality is usually based on the "freshness" of the mold.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Everyone has been giving AMD these great reviews and putting them up on a pedestal. Truth is that they are the same as all the others. You also have to keep in mind that every car is a little different. These cars twist and bend. Nothing I have gotten from AMD for my 69 has been easy to install. People use to talk about the "X" in the part number. I don't think that even factors in anymore. Just know what you are buying is not original , and expect to have to work to make it fit to your expectations. These cars had inconsistent gaps to begin with , and many want better than original. That will make more work for you too.
Good point...these cars had terrible gaps by todays standards so if you want them perfect you will have some work to do and its not necessarily the fault of the panel makers.
I liked AMD because its supposedly heavier gauge but I've not actually compared to anything else. My AMD qtrs were ok but the front fenders were terrible and took countless hours to make right. I should have just cut patches out of the new to repair the old but I had already tossed the original fronts - stupid move.
I wonder what one of the new complete body 69 camaros look like. I think the trunk and doors are already set but I wonder how much work is actually needed to get them right.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 08:08 AM
Team Member
Don

I think the original AMD exclusive tooling wore out long ago and now they just buy from Golden Star etc. Not really much special with their parts anymore.

I will say however that I find Goodmark to be complete garbage and only use their parts as a last resort. YMMV....

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode