Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage
1968 RS grille conversion

Hello, I have a 68 SS and looking to replace to RS with the headlight covers. Automatic or Manual. I'll go manual, if Automatic installation is tricky. I read somewhere I would also have to remove my tachometer and adjust wiring.

Note: While being restored by previous owner. For some reason, the driver side body/grille is pushed in further than passenger side. (i hope this doesn't cause an issue with new grille install)

Anyways.. I need your help to buy the right product, which includes all items needed for a direct replacement. I want to go FULL black, no chrome. I found these below. I'd appreciate any help regarding the items below... which is best, which is missing important components.

1) GRILLE KIT, MOVE BY HAND: https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1...it_p/ral-8.htm

*How can I check if I need RS fender brackets?
*Says I might need an RS hood latch. Do i? My hood latch location in photo above

2) RALLY SPORT GRILLE KIT, BLACK: https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1...ck_p/gri-3.htm

*What's the difference between this and item above? is this automatic?
*Is this all I need, or are some components missing?

This is how I'd like the "GRILLE", not bumper, end result to be

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by majj35; Jan 14th, 20 at 06:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 04:53 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: 1968 RS grille conversion

The RS grille headlight pods attach further back in the fender than the standard grille, so yes, you will need the RS fender brackets if you are using the GM headlight pods.

The hood latch you have is a RS latch. I don't understand why they put it on a non RS car.

But, if the current standard grille does not fit properly, and sets back too far on the driver's side, you may already have RS fenders or just a BUBBA mess. Remove the headlight bezels and see what you have before ordering anything. The RS brackets extend the mounting points back more than an inch further than the standard grille mounts.

The car you like appears to be a 69 or at least has a 69 style front lower valance. If you maintain the RS hood latch, you will not be able to use it with a 69 Valance. The 68 RS grille does not set back into the fenders enough to use a standard hood latch. You will need a custom hood latch.
The parking lights/turn signals are of course different if you are planning on using them and the hood latch, you will need the 68 RS lower valance, the T/S light assemblies, and probably a new wiring harness.

The 68 headlight switch, wiring harness, and vacuum set up are unique to a 68. There is a vacuum reservoir, vacuum actuators, etc. Quite a pain to install. The electrical kit they offer would be easier to install on a non-RS car.

There is no front bumper on the car you like. OUCH if you should tap or hit anything.

Others can add more.

Ron

Last edited by R66; Jan 14th, 20 at 04:56 AM. Reason: bumper
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:01 AM
John

Garage

The RS headlight door will probably not clear the headlights installed in your car.

New RS lower valance and parking/signal lamps.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
The RS grille headlight pods attach further back in the fender than the standard grille, so yes, you will need the RS fender brackets if you are using the GM headlight pods.

But, if the current standard grille does not fit properly, and sets back too far on the driver's side, you may already have RS fenders or just a BUBBA mess. Remove the headlight bezels and see what you have before ordering anything. The RS brackets extend the mounting points back more than an inch further than the standard grille mounts.

The 68 headlight switch, wiring harness, and vacuum set up are unique to a 68. There is a vacuum reservoir, vacuum actuators, etc. Quite a pain to install. The electrical kit they offer would be easier to install on a non-RS car.
Ron
Thanks for the feedback.

So for the RS fenders (if i mine doesn't have one already) this would be it, correct?
https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1...ts_p/ral-5.htm

and all I would need to do is remove one headlight bezel only, not the actual headlight, to figure out. correct?

Regarding the item links shared above? do you recommend either of them? or if you could send me a product link for the one you recommend (electric kit)

funny side note: when i bought this car it was listed as an SS, however many things threw me off later on thinking it was an RS.
-Rear bumper with the reverse lights
-The RS hood latch
-Now that you mentioned a reason my grille is pushed back.. possibility that it was an RS (the fender brackets)
-oh...and later found a "CAMARO RS" tshirt in the trunk lol

although some confirmed it was an SS after providing them with my VIN#: 124378N480983

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The RS headlight door will probably not clear the headlights installed in your car.

New RS lower valance and parking/signal lamps.
will it for sure not fit? The ones I have are Oracle 7". I thought it was the same size, if not thinner in thickness, vs factory.

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:38 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by majj35 View Post
will it for sure not fit? The ones I have are Oracle 7". I thought it was the same size, if not thinner in thickness, vs factory.
I believe others have experienced fitment issues with those headlights is RS grills.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I believe others have experienced fitment issues with those headlights is RS grills.
I guess id have to compare measurements between the Oracle and factory. Oracle I know is 7" diameter.. Thickness unknown I can contact them.

Any idea on factory headlight diameter/thickness?

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I used RetroElectro and couldn't be happier https://retro-electro.net/
EVL SS likes this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:53 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

As far as I know. there is no way to confirm that a 68 has the SS (or RS) option from simply looking at the VIN.
From your descriptions you may already have an RS. Just so you know, there is no way your hood latch is going to work with the 69 lower valence.
I just looked at your garage pics. It looks like your car has the RS back up lights.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
I used RetroElectro and couldn't be happier https://retro-electro.net/

Easy install? Would they fit with my current Oracle Halos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwiz View Post
As far as I know. there is no way to confirm that a 68 has the SS (or RS) option from simply looking at the VIN.

From your descriptions you may already have an RS. Just so you know, there is no way your hood latch is going to work with the 69 lower valence.

Not changing the bumper, just the grille. That white Camaro was just a reference on how I want the grille finish to look like

rgwiz likes this.

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Garage

First I would see if you have a RS or not but if you don't, whyt not buy the whole conversion kit? -

https://www.camarocentral.com/67_68_...p/gri-1601.htm

1968 camaro
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Removed the bezel and took photos, but canít tell if i do have the RS fender

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 08:20 PM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

You have a standard fender in that picture. You will need the RS brackets to weld or otherwise attach to the existing fenders. I don't know what instructions come with the RS brackets, but I trimmed the old brackets and welded the new ones in.

Ron
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
majj

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
You have a standard fender in that picture. You will need the RS brackets to weld or otherwise attach to the existing fenders. I don't know what instructions come with the RS brackets, but I trimmed the old brackets and welded the new ones in.

Ron
Is this the correct Part for the RS Fender brackets?
https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...Brackets-Pair/

thank you

1968 Camaro SS
LS2/T56
RideTech StreetGrip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1968 grille, bumper, grille kit, grilles, rs grille

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode