Team Camaro Tech banner

fender bolt access

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am removing the front clip and as always one bolt will not come out. The driver side, bolt underneath, closest to the door is just spinning the clip. (or broke the tack).

If I go through the pain of removing the driver toe kick, is that bolt/nut accessible? My other option is to grind the bolt head off. From what i have read, grinding the bolt sounds easier than the toe kick.

Thank,
Chris

#3 ·
I would cut the head off. When you get the fender off you will most likely find that the side cowl is rusted. Even if it's not rusted that is where I would cut hole in it to get to the nut.

#4 ·
Pretty sure the nut cannot be accessed from the kick panel area. Cut the bolt head off, then once the fender is off, cut a 3 sided "window" above nut area, bend sheet metal "window" out of the way to access nut. Probably loaded with dirt and rust, vacuum and use bolt penetrant (PBlaster, etc). Use a vice grip or welded nut to work the bolt loose. Once you have cleaned the nut and ensured it is in good shape, bend the window back and mig weld the seams, finish/paint as normal.

I had to do that on one of my bolts.

#11 ·
Just go up from where your bolt is. If you have your kick panel off , just reach In And get it out. If it's spinning, it's broken off. Use a magnet it's a big chunk of metal. You could also weld a nut with a washer made into it from the bottom hole. Just make the hole a little bigger, and tap the nut I place, then weld around it . Very easy.

Attachments

#12 ·
Just go up from where your bolt is. If you have your kick panel off , just reach In And get it out. If it's spinning, it's broken off. Use a magnet it's a big chunk of metal. You could also weld a nut with a washer made into it from the bottom hole. Just make the hole a little bigger, and tap the nut I place, then weld around it . Very easy.
I have first gens in the shop with kick panels removed. You cannot reach in there and take the weld nut out. It's blocked off.

#13 ·
Well sorry about that. It's been a few years since I did a first gen. I did replace my saddle bag covers. I guess that's what I was thinking. Getting old sucks. I have built my last first gen Camaro. Building tractors and Chevelle's now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.