To Cover or Not to Cover ... - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

To Cover or Not to Cover ...

I will (eventually??) be getting my 68 back from the body shop with new paint. Car will be garaged, but my garage is detached with open gables/framing, etc. Here in the Los Angeles area, things in my garage quickly get covered in a coat of nasty/abrasive dust. So I am looking for advice on whether to use a car cover or not. I am thinking of an indoor cover that has a very soft lining material, but ideally would provide a little protection from minor bumps or scrapes. Any thoughts as to yes or no? Any suggestions for type/brand of cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Re: To Cover or Not to Cover ...

Yes, I'd recommend using a soft cotton lined cover. I have several different covers, but the car wants to be spotlessly clean when you put it on, best to use two people, so you don't have to drag it along the surface. It won't protect against hard knocks, but will keep the abrasive dust off it. Depending on how much of that dust that you get, you may need to take the cover to a laundromat every so often to keep it clean. I've got several different brands, but I like the California Car Cover soft cotton cover, good for only interior use.https://www.calcarcover.com/product/...car-cover/3930.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Talk to your painter. At some point you will want to cover the car but like waxing it may take a while before you want to mess with the paint surface.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 06:50 PM
John

Garage

I keep my Classics and my Vettes covered.

Calif Car Dustop on my classics and nylon stretch covers on my Vettes.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I use a Budge brand cover when needed as a dust cover in my shop.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 09:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

Mines always covered in the garage. Buy the best you can afford as soon as the painter give you the green light to cover it. Billís advice on having the car clean before covering it is spot on and using two people so you donít drag it makes perfect sense to me

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
Wiley E. Coyote

IE area moved from LA
Bought a $40 indoor cover off ebay yrs ago love it. Lined, lightweight isnt too tight where it wears on corners.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I waited until I didn't smell the paint off gassing before I washed it and covered it. But even some of the best covers fine dust will eventually sift through. I usually don't have an assistant so I roll the cover and unroll it on the car so it doesn't drag.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

my wife sewed 3 quality bed sheets together. that way I can fold each side to the center, then roll the sheets for removal
then just replace and unroll. no dragging no scratching
I heat with coal. it is dirty when removing ashes ,but the sheets keep the car clean
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

As mentioned above, check with the painter. Some may stress giving the paint a rest period before anything goes on it. I think I was told 1 month before wax or covering. Then a rinse with good water, blow dry with leaf blower or shami. Nice coat or two of wax, light buffing then cover. But all depends on the paint used.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech

California Car Cover

for indoors the flanel ones are great and you can throw the in the wash

I have had one of their Noah covers for 20+ years now. Outdoor rated but works well inside

Use a duster first before putting cover on.

Let the new paint job "cure" for at least a month before doing anything
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thanks for the replies. I know that I will need to let the paint cure for a while. I'm looking more at the long term picture. Leaning toward a cover like the Dustop that will give a bit of added protection in case "someone" carrying something past my car accidentally makes contact.

I will go with either House of Kolor or Axalta Cromez, depending on my final color choice. I've heard from some folks that you can only use waterborn paint in SoCal, but that's not the case. Both companies make good clears in urethane that are VOC compliant and supposedly cure to a very hard finish.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgonefishin View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know that I will need to let the paint cure for a while. I'm looking more at the long term picture. Leaning toward a cover like the Dustop that will give a bit of added protection in case "someone" carrying something past my car accidentally makes contact.

I will go with either House of Kolor or Axalta Cromez, depending on my final color choice. I've heard from some folks that you can only use waterborn paint in SoCal, but that's not the case. Both companies make good clears in urethane that are VOC compliant and supposedly cure to a very hard finish.

I have a duststop cover on my car. It was replacing a 28 year old cover. I have no complaints with it.

When my car was painted back in 1992 (glasurit urethane paint), I let the car sit uncovered in the garage for about 10-12 weeks before I did anything to the car.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 09:29 AM
Apprentice
Charlie

Garage
Is going after the root cause out of the question? Are you able to completely enclose the garage and prevent the nastiness in the first place? If possible recommend that, followed up by installing a ductless A/C to control the environment. Your car will love it. Just a suggestion
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Would be very difficult/expensive to enclose the garage. Its large with open gables, framing, etc. Also I spend a lot of time there and the 18 ft wide door, which I leave open during the day is the only entrance. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode