Dynacorn Replacement Body / Shell, 69 Convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Dynacorn Replacement Body / Shell, 69 Convertible

I'm considering a new 69 convertible Dynacorn replacement body shell. Does anybody have experience with these? What's the good bad and ugly? $13-14,000 doesn't sound too bad but wanted check here first.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 06:26 AM
Kevin

Re: Dynacorn Replacement Body / Shell, 69 Convertible

So first off, there is the legal issue, some states will frown on moving vin and trim tags to new body. 2nd, we have heard the fit and finish is not up to par. You will spend more $$ getting all the panels lined up and good gaps.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 06:49 AM
Team Member
Don

Better to fix the one you have unless it is completely gone imho. Fit has improved but still not plug and play.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 07:44 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
So first off, there is the legal issue, ALL states will frown on moving vin and trim tags to new body. 2nd, we have heard the fit and finish is not up to par. You will spend more $$ getting all the panels lined up and good gaps.
Fixed it ^^^

Yes the question is how do you plan to legally title it.

And unless you have a donor car for all the rest of the parts your overall cost will be through the roof.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have personally seen a 67 hardtop. Looked like it was put together in a kindergarten class. I'm out, not to mention the headaches of sourcing all the little parts. Oh yes.... And the VIN issue.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

I would say your best bet is to go see one first hand and decide if the fit and finish is acceptable to you. I have never seen one myself.
bill3337 likes this.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Yes, I have a perfect donor car,..rotted floors, one of the rear frame rails is gone, rotted trunk pan,..there's even rot in the door jamb areas. Plus, the tail panel is caved a bit. Yeah, to fix all that would cost way more than the cost of the Dynacorn reproduction body.

But once you get past the rot, my donor car has 95% of its parts,..full interior, convertible hardware, dash parts, body parts, engine bay parts, brakes, glass & hardware almost everything, and oddly, almost none of the parts have any rust issues.

The VIN issue is not an issue, at least for me. I've before, had to replace parts on which the VIN tag was attached. Once on a 71 Camaro, I had to replace the whole cowl panel and once on a 73 Vette (the A-piller post). The correct rivets are out there for this purpose. Also, think of the thousands of fully licensed reproduction 32 Fords and other kit cars.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Yes the correct rivets are out there to swap the old VIN to another car. There is also a big building with fencing around it for people to stay in that break the law. It is a felony to remove a VIN from one car and place it on another. Not saying it has never been done, but are you willing to take that risk? I'm not. Repairing a spot with rust or damage around the VIN is technically breaking the law but widely accepted with proper pictures and documentation before and after. The only legal way to build a Dynacorn body is to get a DMV assigned VIN . This is a pain to do, but is possible, and the right thing to do.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Yes, I have a perfect donor car,..rotted floors, one of the rear frame rails is gone, rotted trunk pan,..there's even rot in the door jamb areas. Plus, the tail panel is caved a bit. Yeah, to fix all that would cost way more than the cost of the Dynacorn reproduction body.

But once you get past the rot, my donor car has 95% of its parts,..full interior, convertible hardware, dash parts, body parts, engine bay parts, brakes, glass & hardware almost everything, and oddly, almost none of the parts have any rust issues.

The VIN issue is not an issue, at least for me. I've before, had to replace parts on which the VIN tag was attached. Once on a 71 Camaro, I had to replace the whole cowl panel and once on a 73 Vette (the A-piller post). The correct rivets are out there for this purpose. Also, think of the thousands of fully licensed reproduction 32 Fords and other kit cars.
Most states have a process to legally titled a reproduction 32 Ford and kit car. They get a State issued VIN. Just went through this process for a friend a couple years ago.
You just announced on a public web site that you are considering committing a felony. I know you don't see it that way. I have no opinion on whether you should use the aftermarket body assembly. I am just saying; if you do it, do it legally.

Lynn
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

A Dynacorn body is considered a replacement body part. Regulations vary by state for transferring a VIN. New truck cabs are often replaced at collision shops, and the VINs get transferred. Transferring a VIN is not illegal if one follows the DMV's guidelines. Look how many 69's are on ebay with replaced dash tops. Plenty of them get posted on CRG too.

Consider getting a price to fix your body. If you go Dcorn, you're still going to have to pay extra for repro part mods, unless you don't care how the car looks or gets slapped together.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Regulations do vary from state to state. In VA like I mentioned it is acceptable to transfer to a part with proper documentation/pictures for the state PD to inspect for the DMV. Replacement part, not a body. It's illegal to do it to a truck cab here too. It goes on percentage of metal. A cab and a body would exceed that percentage. Check your local DMV before you make your decision on a complete Dynacorn "body". And like Scott mentioned, it's not ready for paint . Well not to most of our standard that is.

X-77 keith
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post

The cost of replacing the rusted parts vs the Dynacorn body used to be several thousand dollars apart not including labor. There are a couple of places that can take you car and replace all the rotted metal besides Dynacorn if you aren't doing the work yourself. Plenty of members here have done "rebodies" on cars that sane people would say are not salvageable.

As for the 32 Fords and the kit cars they don't have 32 ford VIN numbers. I don't know what the vehicle discription was on the two kit cars my buddy built but in Illinois they got state issued VIN's nothing like a factory issued VIN.

Jeff
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Yes the correct rivets are out there to swap the old VIN to another car. There is also a big building with fencing around it for people to stay in that break the law. It is a felony to remove a VIN from one car and place it on another. Not saying it has never been done, but are you willing to take that risk? I'm not. Repairing a spot with rust or damage around the VIN is technically breaking the law but widely accepted with proper pictures and documentation before and after. The only legal way to build a Dynacorn body is to get a DMV assigned VIN . This is a pain to do, but is possible, and the right thing to do.
Keith,..before you send me to the electric chair, I'd like to mention that I've titled, had inspected, registered, and later sold two cars that had repairs in the VIN area that required the VIN to be re-riveted. After I sold them, these two cars were subsequently titled and easily registered in two other states.

You're under the impression that anybody who has to repair a rusted area in the cowl area and/or lower windshield area (very common rust areas) is going to get a visit from the FBI.

If I'm the felon, what does that make Dynacorn?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 11:53 AM
Tech Team
ken

barrett jackson sold one. looks good on tv. https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...M-COUPE-238443
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 12:16 PM
Team Member
Don

You are not going to find any love for Dynacorn bodies on this site. Clearly they are selling them but they are used discretely and certainly not posted on forums as a general rule. Guys using them fly under the radar....

Don
Vega$69 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode