Team Camaro Tech banner

Dynacorn Replacement Body / Shell, 69 Convertible

7K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  yellow69RS 
#1 ·
I'm considering a new 69 convertible Dynacorn replacement body shell. Does anybody have experience with these? What's the good bad and ugly? $13-14,000 doesn't sound too bad but wanted check here first.

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
So first off, there is the legal issue, ALL states will frown on moving vin and trim tags to new body. 2nd, we have heard the fit and finish is not up to par. You will spend more $$ getting all the panels lined up and good gaps.
Fixed it ^^^

Yes the question is how do you plan to legally title it.

And unless you have a donor car for all the rest of the parts your overall cost will be through the roof.

#3 ·
Better to fix the one you have unless it is completely gone imho. Fit has improved but still not plug and play.

Don

#5 ·
I have personally seen a 67 hardtop. Looked like it was put together in a kindergarten class. I'm out, not to mention the headaches of sourcing all the little parts. Oh yes.... And the VIN issue.

#7 ·
Yes, I have a perfect donor car,..rotted floors, one of the rear frame rails is gone, rotted trunk pan,..there's even rot in the door jamb areas. Plus, the tail panel is caved a bit. Yeah, to fix all that would cost way more than the cost of the Dynacorn reproduction body.

But once you get past the rot, my donor car has 95% of its parts,..full interior, convertible hardware, dash parts, body parts, engine bay parts, brakes, glass & hardware almost everything, and oddly, almost none of the parts have any rust issues.

The VIN issue is not an issue, at least for me. I've before, had to replace parts on which the VIN tag was attached. Once on a 71 Camaro, I had to replace the whole cowl panel and once on a 73 Vette (the A-piller post). The correct rivets are out there for this purpose. Also, think of the thousands of fully licensed reproduction 32 Fords and other kit cars.

#9 ·
Most states have a process to legally titled a reproduction 32 Ford and kit car. They get a State issued VIN. Just went through this process for a friend a couple years ago.
You just announced on a public web site that you are considering committing a felony. I know you don't see it that way. I have no opinion on whether you should use the aftermarket body assembly. I am just saying; if you do it, do it legally.

#8 ·
Yes the correct rivets are out there to swap the old VIN to another car. There is also a big building with fencing around it for people to stay in that break the law. It is a felony to remove a VIN from one car and place it on another. Not saying it has never been done, but are you willing to take that risk? I'm not. Repairing a spot with rust or damage around the VIN is technically breaking the law but widely accepted with proper pictures and documentation before and after. The only legal way to build a Dynacorn body is to get a DMV assigned VIN . This is a pain to do, but is possible, and the right thing to do.

#13 ·
Keith,..before you send me to the electric chair, I'd like to mention that I've titled, had inspected, registered, and later sold two cars that had repairs in the VIN area that required the VIN to be re-riveted. After I sold them, these two cars were subsequently titled and easily registered in two other states.

You're under the impression that anybody who has to repair a rusted area in the cowl area and/or lower windshield area (very common rust areas) is going to get a visit from the FBI.

If I'm the felon, what does that make Dynacorn?

#10 ·
A Dynacorn body is considered a replacement body part. Regulations vary by state for transferring a VIN. New truck cabs are often replaced at collision shops, and the VINs get transferred. Transferring a VIN is not illegal if one follows the DMV's guidelines. Look how many 69's are on ebay with replaced dash tops. Plenty of them get posted on CRG too.

Consider getting a price to fix your body. If you go Dcorn, you're still going to have to pay extra for repro part mods, unless you don't care how the car looks or gets slapped together.

#11 ·
Regulations do vary from state to state. In VA like I mentioned it is acceptable to transfer to a part with proper documentation/pictures for the state PD to inspect for the DMV. Replacement part, not a body. It's illegal to do it to a truck cab here too. It goes on percentage of metal. A cab and a body would exceed that percentage. Check your local DMV before you make your decision on a complete Dynacorn "body". And like Scott mentioned, it's not ready for paint . Well not to most of our standard that is.

#21 ·
Regulations do vary from state to state. In VA like I mentioned it is acceptable to transfer to a part with proper documentation/pictures for the state PD to inspect for the DMV. Replacement part, not a body. It's illegal to do it to a truck cab here too. It goes on percentage of metal. A cab and a body would exceed that percentage. Check your local DMV before you make your decision on a complete Dynacorn "body". And like Scott mentioned, it's not ready for paint . Well not to most of our standard that is.
I'll bet at least one person in your state has unbolted a first gen Dodge Cummins dash from a rotten cab and transferred it to a rot free cab.

#15 ·
You are not going to find any love for Dynacorn bodies on this site. Clearly they are selling them but they are used discretely and certainly not posted on forums as a general rule. Guys using them fly under the radar....

Don

Reactions: Vega$69
#20 ·
He said he had 500 hours in the body. Just goes to show that they will need attention all the way around. But can be done.

#18 ·
give Tony a call he tore down my rusted out car to the skeleton and rebuilt it from there with much better panel fitment

1968 Camaro Body Shell

#26 ·
#25 ·
I personally have no problem with Dynacorn bodies....I think they keep guys from cutting up original body cars to make modified cars...they also allowed people to build cars that would of never got finished, and they help keep parts suppliers in business selling parts to put on them...

.I have not seen or heard of any values of original cars going down because of these bodies being available.....I, like many others can tell if a particular car has had a replacement body or not they are easy to tell apart from original bodied cars if you look close enough....

#28 ·
Thanks Vega,

I thought I'd get some input on what the 'good-bad-ugly' of building with a Dynacorn body and somehow awoke an uptight DMV expert or two. I used to be very active on this site and I'm reminded why now, I only visit on rare occasion. Too many sanctimonious pajama boys who are long on judgement, short on diffidence.

#30 ·
The answers to your questions were answered in the first 5 or 6 post. The cost of the body vers fixing an existing body is in most cases "but not all" is higher. They can be built , and be very nice cars. Gaps and fit are below my expectations as well as most in this hobby. The VIN is a deal breaker for some. As seen some people go the legal route and get a assigned VIN . The fact that you were making it sound like you could just use a original VIN is where this post went South. Sometimes people ask questions with hopes of hearing what they want, and not what the true answers may be. So now you have your information, how you use it is your choice.

#31 · (Edited)
I always smile when I read a post on this subject.

I have a Firebird 1969 convertible which is similar to your Camaro. I considered buying a DynaCorn complete body like you. I decided to go a different route and buy just the parts and assemble them together in my garage.

I spent about 6000.00 for the parts to build the unibody. I joke about my car that the only thing original is the windshield frame and the deck lid hinges. That is really not stretching the truth. You can save a lot of money going with the some assembly required route but expect to not drive your car for a few years.

There is a highly rated company that builds complete bodies like the DynaCorn. The company is called Muscle Car Metal. They have a complete body for a convertible for $13,500. I have read that Tony fixes all the fitment problems that have plagued the DynaCorn body. Here is a link to the company:
http://www.musclecarmetal.com/home2.asp

#32 ·
There is a highly rated company that builds complete bodies like the DynaCorn. The company is called Muscle Car Metal. They have a complete body for a convertible for $13,500. I have read that Tony fixes all the fitment problems that have plagued the DynaCorn body. Here is a link to the company:
http://www.musclecarmetal.com/home2.asp
Tony is a super nice guy. Mech Engineer by trade. I've been to his house and shop in Seabrook, NH. We have a house not far from him. He'll build a complete body, a roller body, a repaired original body or take an A pillar and build from there lol. He does excellent work. He builds custom full frames for 1st gens also.

Reactions: 350sshugger
#35 ·
There are several body rebuilders out there that do the same with yours or one out of a field. I was going to pull the trigger on one several years ago before an unfortunate job change. Painted roller for $15K

#37 ·
I have the same interest as Wes, but would like to understand thoughts on how it is really that different to cut and/or replace virtually every fender, floor, brace, cowl, door, trunk, etc. with aftermarket parts, piece by piece and still have a clear conscious about the integrity of a VIN? Isn't that pretty much a new/different car at that point? Does it make any difference if you cut around the VIN and Trim Tag areas and weld those into new sheet metal so as to not disturb the factory rivets? Thanks.

#38 ·
I replaced the dash top in my 69 about 5 years ago. I just riveted the VIN back on it as I moved the still incomplete car to storage. I used whatever rivets I found in my tool box but mat change them later. My hidden VINs remain untouched so far. I have no trouble sleeping.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.